Crystal Light Friendly?

Do any of you use this and/or what is your opinion on nutrition and ingredients. Thanks

(Robin) #2

Hoping you’re joking….?

The nothing that’s in it is fine, drink it all the time.

(Robin) #4

Lost me at maltodextrin, corn syrup and aspartame.
You’re right though, some people do fine with them.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

@realmuse My own experience is that the sooner I left behind the flavored, fake stuff, the sooner I saw results on keto.

Tip: Real food doesn’t have ingredients, real food is ingredients. If it’s got an ingredients list, put it back.

Get some pure extracts like vanilla, mint, and stevia, and play with making your own beverages. Vanilla mint lemonade is fab.

Thanks this makes complete sense. A nutritionist recommended it to my husband years ago because of diabetes. But, he doesn’t drink it. We have a lot of it. l guess l’ll toss it. It is powdered by the way.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

You can make herbal teas right in your refrigerator. Toss about 6-8 tea bags into a gallon pitcher of cold water and stick it in the fridge overnight. You can do combos like raspberry, blackberry, or mint teas with lemon tea. Then just sweeten with stevia or whatever you like. You can even sprinkle in spices.

How is this?
Water
Fresh lemon
Lemon juice
Mint
Stevia

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

Sounds good to me, though I’m a huge fan of vanilla, which rounds out the acid taste of lemon and adds a bit of creamy sweetness, almost like lemon cream pie.

Let us know what you come up with. Just remember to add fresh mint or pure peppermint extract very gradually because it is one powerful mutha!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Since all these questions about various products give the appearance that you are not accustomed to the logic people on a keto diet run through when considering a product, here’s my reasoning:

• So the ingredients list reads as follows: “citric acid, maltodextrin [sugar], corn syrup solids [sugar], instant tea, aspartame [artificial sweetener], magnesium dioxide [antacid], acesulfame potassium [artificial sweetener], red dye no. 40, yellow dye no. 5, blue dye no. 1, BHA [butylated hydroxyanisole, a preservative].” These are generally not the sorts of things I want to put in my body. The food critic Michael Pollan advises not purchasing products with more than five ingredients, or that contain ingredients your grandmother or great-grandmother would not have had lying around her kitchen. This product is thus an example of what he calls an “edible food-like substance” and not a real food.

• The “serving” size of this product is “1/8 of a packet.” I don’t know how much that translates to in terms of the mixed liquid, but am I really going to measure out such a small amount when I want some of this product?

• Given the sugars listed in the ingredients in combination with the small serving size, I’d say that there is a good chance that the manufacturer made the serving size so small, because that makes the amount of sugar in a serving small enough (under 0.5 g) that they can legally list it, under U.S. law, as 0 g in the nutrition panel. The only safe assumption for a ketonian to make is that means 0.4999999 g per “serving,” which we then have to multiply by the number of “servings” we plan to actually drink. If I were to drink a whole packet, for example, then I would be getting 8 x 0.4999999 g = 4 grams of sugar. That’s too much to be acceptable to me, since I am trying to keep my insulin from spiking.

• The artificial sweeteners in the product are questionable. What effect are they going to have on my body? Likewise for the dyes and preservative. For example, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration puts BHA in the category of “generally recognised as safe,” but the U.S. National Institutes of Health says it’s “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” Since BHA is in practically every commercial product, it might be wise to limit exposure as much as possible, in case it’s the NIH and not the FDA that is correct here.

So all in all, this is not the sort of product I am willing to use. Your evaluation may be different, however, since your priorities and your assessment of the risks may not be the same as mine. That’s fine, but these are the sorts of concerns I have when evaluating what I want to put in my mouth. The same logic can be applied to every commercial product.

yea I wouldn’t use it but there are tons of people who do use some fake sweet drinks and thrive on them. key to it is who are you and which way ya wanna roll kinda. if you can have one and do great, cool, if you want to drop fake stuff then cool or if they trigger wanting more sweet stuff then all that is bad so…do you on this one.

I dumped them. living a great life off them all and more money to my ‘real food’ vs crap LOL

I really appreciate your expertise/experience. Thanks.