Cronometer has me confused

(Running from stupidity) #45

LOL

(MelissaH) #47

@Peter it would be easier to put your stats into a keto calculator. Keto connect has one on their site or just Google it. Then enter your results into cronometer.

Idk if this is right or how much it changes from where you are, but I was told it’s 1 gram of protein for how much you want to weigh

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

You are not wrong, put it that way. I’ve heard the same. Similarly, Dr. Phinney and Prof. Volek use something called “reference weight,” which is basically taken from the Metropolitan Life Insurance tables of height and ideal weight (by sex) that used to hang in every doctor’s office, until we all got fat.

Most of the recommendations express it, however, as a certain number of grams per kilogram of (current) lean body mass.

Since the expert recommendations work out to quite a range of protein, it’s probably not worth getting too obsessed about. We just need to be sure to avoid kwashiorkor on the one hand, and ammonia toxicity on the other.

Can you please tell me what those are and how not to get them. -Thanks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #51

How not to get kwashiorkor (a form of malnutrition caused by lack of protein): eat enough protein.

How to avoid ammonia toxicity (caused by the body’s efforts to dispose of excessive levels of amino acids): avoid eating too much protein.

If your muscles start wasting away, you are not getting enough protein. (Other symptoms are feeling cold and tired all the time.) If you or others start smelling ammonia on your breath, you are getting far too much.

That’s a pretty wide range, and the body has mechanisms that help keep us at a decent level, so don’t worry about it.

What are the symptoms? I’m always cold and tired. Been fasting for the last 5 days now and went from that straight into a 1-2 day bone broth fast, which is awesome especially after not eating and only drinking water for 5 days

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #53

If you are feeling cold and tired, try increasing your protein. If you keep your diet 30% protein and 70% fat by calories, which is the same as 50% protein and 50% fat by weight, you will be getting a good percentage of protein, and all you have to do after that is to eat until you are no longer hungry.