Criticism of Virta's good results, coming from PCRM

virtahealth
vegan
pcrm

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #123

De novo lipogenesis is a a reaction to stress on the liver; it is one of the results when the ethanol/fructose pathway gets overwhelmed, and if unchecked it leads to fatty liver disease, steatohepatitis, cirrhosis, and eventually, death. It is a separate process, at least as I understand matters, from the turning of carbohydrates into fatty acids for storage in adipose tissue. Those fatty acids get packaged into VLDL (if memory serves) for transport to the adipose, whereas the fat droplets produced by de novo lipogenesis remain trapped in the liver.

The study I read that suggested it was carbohydrate that gets turned into fat and stored, whereas dietary fat gets metabolised, was performed with radio-labeled nutrients, so it was pretty definitive. I will see if I can track down the reference all over again, since I read the paper before losing all my links to a computer accident. (Of course, if I have to watch a bunch of David Diamond and Benjamin Bikman videos to find the link again, I wonā€™t be complaining!)

Moreover, a caloric surplus is not necessarily stored, because the body is perfectly capable of increasing metabolic expenditure in the face of a caloric excess, just as it is capable of reducing metabolic expenditure in the face of a caloric shortage. (Naturally, there are limits to both these reactions.) You are falling into the trap of considering caloric intake as what Dr. Fung calls a ā€œone-compartmentā€ problem, when in reality (as the good doctor points out) it is a ā€œtwo-compartmentā€ problem. The hormonal effects of the foods we eat must be taken into account; calories are not fungible. (In other words, a calorieā€™s worth of high-fructose corn syrup has quite a different effect on the body from that of a calorieā€™s worth of protein.)

(Jack Bennett) #124

Good points. I tend to agree and do my best to avoid both sugar and seed oil for that very reason.

I think starch/glucose is more benign but often comes in problematic packages that have other issues (e.g. wheat, legumes).

I dipped a toe in the Jaminetsā€™ concept of ā€œsafe starchesā€ (Perfect Health Diet) a couple of years ago but Iā€™m not sure it was helpful. It may have been the thin edge of a wedge in leading away from low carb which was working well for me, so Iā€™m suspicious for that reason.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #125

I donā€™t place any faith in the concept of ā€œresistantā€ starch, and the papers Iā€™ve read were highly unconvincing, no matter how much my inner carb addict would love the idea to be true.

On the other hand, the Kempner rice diet is known to work (it is a very high-carb, extremely low-fat diet), but is apparently quite difficult to adhere to. However, the published results were phenomenal, for those who could stick to it.

(Edith) #126

Tucker Goodrich

(Jack Bennett) #127

Jaminet(s) are identified with both resistant and safe starch, but the concepts are a little different.

As I understand it, resistant starch is sort of like a prebiotic or fiber: indigestible or weakly digestible starches that nourish gut bacteria and get fermented into SCFA.

Safe starch is Jaminetā€™s term for regular (human-digestible) starch that comes from sources without lectins, phytates, and other anti-nutrients. He gives the example of white rice, potato, taro, sweet potato, etc. (Iā€™m suspicious of how ā€œsafeā€ sweet potato is given the increasing awareness and concern about oxalate.) Of course, keto people who want to stay keto probably donā€™t need to care very much about the ā€œsafe starchā€ concept.

(Mike Glasbrener) #128

The rice study seems to indicate that some very small amount of fat is required to metabolize carbs into fat. However, if I recall correctly, the dietary fat in this population study (correlative) was essentially zero.

(Todd Allen) #129

Peter Attiaā€™s latest podcast https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson/ is mostly about fructose and goes into the details of how it can be so fattening for us. It discusses studies suggesting the rate of fructose metabolism is a critical factor and directly contradicts the notion that fat storage is merely about caloric surplus as believed by @fabia.

(Mike Glasbrener) #130

Taunted discussed this too. Calories in/calories out is a mere energy statement that assumes everything else is equal. This is hardly true. Diet affects hormones which have a huge effect on calories out! There are isocaloric studies of rats that show this!

(Karen) #131

Please, Iā€™d like to read it.

K

(bulkbiker) #132

Hence the use of the whip I guessā€¦

(Jack Bennett) #133

The funny thing is, a lot of diets operate implicitly that way.

As a high-carb, high-fat vegan I was constantly hungry although I was at the same weight I am at now. I would literally google search ā€œvegan motivationā€ because I needed motivation to continue.

Keto food actually fills me up. I can eat every few hours, not snack, fast for most of a day or a whole day. Works much better.

(Debra J griffith) #135

My thoughts EXACTLY!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #136

Iā€™m not into kink, myself, but I know what you mean, lol!

It is creepy to read about, but apparently, when Kempner whipped his patients it did help them, and he only did it because they asked . . . but still! :scream: