Cravings after about 5 weeks

(Sid) #1

I want to preface this by saying that I’m not seeking attention or pity, just looking for advice and I’ll try to keep it short.

I had a pretty rough time growing up and am currently going through CBT to try to right some wrongs and learn how to function more as a normal person.
This is really hard for me and there’s a lot of suppressed feelings involved.

I used to binge eat whenever I felt sad, it was my way of coping and making myself feel better and I have so much cravings now that almost all I can think about is food(not the good kind).

Do you have any knowledge for how long it may take to lose this urge(if ever) or any tips for what I can do to handle it?

Right now I’m of course just strong heading it and trying to keep myself occupied with other things.

I know this topic may not fit in at all here, if so I apologize and it can be closed.

Cheers

(Edith) #2

I’ve always been very afraid to stress eat because I figured that was a very slippery slope. When I find life very stressful, I release that excess cortisol/adrenaline with movement: a long walk at a pace that increases my heart rate or even something more intense such as the walk mixed with “sprints.” (I put the sprints in quotes because at 58 years old, they are pretty slow. :rofl:)

There is a lot of research out there that shows how important movement is to our mental health. When you have the urge to eat and you can’t head out for a walk, maybe try breaking out into some spontaneous jumping jacks or push ups or something else you can do in place.

With that being said, is it possible you are not actually eating enough? You are hitting the five/six week mark in your keto journey and that is when your body starts to become fat adapted. When we first start keto, we tend to undereat because our bodies are learning to process the new fattier foods we are eating. It is possible that now that your body has gotten used to using fat as a fuel and you are utilizing your food better your body actually wants more. So, it is possible your body is asking for more food because it needs it. Just make sure you are making your food choices keto and possibly up your protein intake.

What are you eating in a day?

Does normal food never help? Food has about zero effect on my mood or how should I call it but I happen to eat sometimes too. I get full and stop. Nowadays (after so very many low-carb years) I typically choose good food with some tiny extras mixed it but when I get full, that helps. If I still want something, I just drink (tea or coffee, maybe cocoa).
I never had specific cravings when not well. Just an urge to eat/drink something and a lower than normal care about what. So I obviously eat mostly carnivore food now as that is my default and my favorite.
Being busy with other thing is a good idea. If one just needs some nice things, I can use music… But I have a very strong connection with food, I mean, stronger than it would be normal so yep, I tend to eat some snacks too. Especially crunchy ones. Like cheese whisps.

I had this today. I am unusually unwell. The food didn’t help at all but now I am full and probably only will eat once later. It won’t be much worse than a normal day I suppose. I even managed to avoid eating a lot of peanuts, my old problem food, I probably can thank my on/off carni years… And cheese whisps. Both are tasty and crunchy, good replacement if I only want that and nothing specific… I do what I can. If I get bored of cheese whisps, I still have 20g scratchings :wink:

I know doing garden work in the sun would have been much better but me and the kitchen in the morning, it’s a thing even if I don’t eat (that’s my norm). At least I didn’t binge on coffee today, I really wanted to avoid that, I am in the process of stopping that stupid procrastinating habit.
But when it’s an unusually bad day, even 10 coffees may be not so bad. Depends on what tempting (at least with an impaired mind in a very dark time) carbs we have… I did stupid things in the past, to put it lightly. It’s fine to eat a ton of carbs once in a blue moon if that brings me joy, I desire it and get away with it. (It never happens nowadays. Low-carb is high enough for me.) But when I don’t even want it, it’s just some stupid useless reaction? I hate that. Better be 10 coffees with a lot of whipped cream and I really try to avoid both coffee and dairy except in tiny amounts. But sometimes we can’t fully win.

Good luck! I don’t even know what is best for me in such a situation, eating a little good food or not as a little food may trigger eating more and that could leave into worse things, it depends. I still don’t trust myself but I came a looooong way… Sometimes just avoiding the first step is better. Sometimes not.

(Allie) #4

You need to replace the habit with something that benefits you more, just stopping doesn’t work, it needs to be a conscious switch - so what else do you enjoy doing?

(Geoffrey) #5

Give into your cravings if the get too strong by eating something like bacon. I cook up a pound of bacon at a time and if I get a strong craving I would just grab a few slices and then go do something to take my mind off of it. I also keep crackings around that I can quickly heat up with a little salt and munch on if need be. Direct your cravings to fat as that will be more satiating than anything else.

(Mark) #6

It sounds like your body is asking for more food. Give it more food. Just make sure the food you give it meets keto standards.

(Robin) #7

Oh man, there are so many kinds of cravings. One is hunger: not your problem. One is strictly habit, a well worn path. (check) Then there is emotional and mental. (check)
And when giving in to those cravings feels like a warm comforter we wrap ourselves in to turn off the noise…. check, check, and check.

As an addict (alcohol and nicotine), all of those joined forces against me. I now include carbs to the list.

CBT is going to be a big help for you. But no outside source can be “the main switch” that turns off your cravings. You can only behave your way out of it, faking it till you make it.

Reformed addicts have a super power… we understand why we draw a hard line in the sand that can’t be crossed. No matter what.

Do what others have said…First, go eat something good for you. Then get up and physically do something. Take a walk, work on a project, call a friend, repeat a mantra or saying over and over again, write in a journal, do breathing exercises or meditation. Do something that feels rewarding.

When I was trying to quit smoking a friend told me the urge would be gone in 10 minutes whether or not I had a cigarette. That helped me.

You are ahead of the game by sharing this struggle.
And I truly believe this way of eating heals more than just our metabolism, it can change your life.
You got this

(Marianne) #8

I have said here many times that I consider myself a bona fide food addict. Pre-keto, I used to love binging on my favorite things (sugar, baked goods, junk food, fast food, bread, pasta, etc.). I rarely ever ate meat, no vegetables (still don’t do that much), etc. It was all processed and junk, and I used to enjoy eating until I was stuffed. When I started keto, I ate clean, one ingredient foods and made sure to eat enough where I felt satisfied. The fat I was eating kept me satiated to where I wasn’t wanting more. I can’t say I experienced any cravings that were unmanageable. In my case, it was to the contrary. The key for me was to eat clean food and enough of it. If you feel hungry, eat something satisfying to you that is on plan. The key for me was respecting my addiction and not allowing myself to take that first bite of any of my trigger foods. That is the point of no return. Were I to do that, I can’t predict how long I’d be off and it might be very hard to get back on, plus you have that horrible mental space that it puts you in.

I know others here will share their tips and experience that may resonate with you. Good luck.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

One tip that worked for me is to keep some liquid handy for those moments when emotional eating is a temptation. I love coffee, so that’s my go-to.

Another tip I find useful is that addicts generally find complete abstinence easier to manage than “moderation.” As a ketonian carb-addict, I got into trouble on more than one occasion by allowing myself a “treat.” Between carb addiction and my own emotional issues, it then became very difficult to keep my carb intake low. A happy side effect of going carnivore is that I no longer find the temptation to eat carbs overwhelming. I can look at my nephew’s sugary cereal or at the fruits my sister buys for him, and recognise that (a) I don’t need them, and (b) however good they might taste, I don’t need the problems that come with carb intake. It has become very easy to say no, whereas when I was trying to eat some carbs yet stay under 20 g/day, it was very difficult.

(Sid) #10

Hey Edith,

Thanks for the input!

I try to take a walk as often as I can but since I’m somewhat introverted and have some other issues I have a hard time feeling relaxed when doing anything in public, but my therapist has told me the importance of physical activities as well so I will definitely try to get better at it!

This may be, I read up some on what typical signs of being fat adapted are and almost all of them fit in with how I feel. Another thing I was thinking about is that last week I ate bigger meals nutrition-wise than I have done this week, maybe that small change in the diet affected the body and now it’s expecting that amount which is why I feel hunger/cravings. I’m going to try to eat some bigger meals the following the days and see if that makes a difference.

Hehe… not enough simply put. :laughing: Yesterday I ate 500g(1/2 lbs) of chicken, that’s it.
Today I ate the same but added some bacon and cheese so ~720g(1.11 lbs) total. Should probably try to increase the size of the meals.

This is true and I’m really not doing that at the moment. I’ve sort of lost touch with all the beneficial hobbies I had such as playing music. Will try to pick up the guitar more!

I hear and feel ya, been on many different addict trains myself so I truly understand the work needed to be put in in order to break free from those. I applaud you for doing so for yourself!

Yes indeed, ma’am! This is exactly what it feels like, for a bit and then the anxiety kicks in for doing what I did and so the cycle repeats itself.

And yes, this insight to ourselves and that we work the way we do helps a lot, I just have a hard time recognizing my own patterns sometimes.

I took your advice and just had a cup of coffee, it did help and I feel better, thank you!
I do have coffee at work everyday and of course don’t feel any cravings or hunger then, just didn’t realize that it had such an impact!

I’m trying to do that now, almost all days I have 0 carbs or as close to it as I can get, I’ve started treating them as “the enemy” :laughing:

I try to remind myself of this as well because since I’ve started this diet everything has changed for the better, stable mood, energy, sleep etc. So it’s sort of a mantra I try to internalize!

Actually haven’t tried since I do OMAD my mindset has just been to hold out until the next day. Might have to try 2MAD or at least have some healthy snack that I can eat when I’m in a bad spot mentally, but would rather not.

I can relate to this, when I fell off the wagon last time it took me DAYS to get back into it so I’m cautious with eating too much or even to have just a little of something I know I like a lot. So yeah, for the moment being I’m going to try to just keep the course and hope it eventually gets easier to handle along with filling my day with beneficial activities.

As always, you guys rock and I truly appreciate you taking time to help me out! :heart:

Cheers

(Megan) #11

@JustSid

Hi Sid, I relate to your posting and am sending lots of encouragement and comfort. I’ve been an overeater and binge eater nearly all my life, starting from early childhood. Lots of comfort seeking eating. Eating junky food made me feel removed from my feelings, almost numb, as well as providing a dopamine hit that gave me some feel-good feelings. Most of my days were spent thinking about food, even when I was physically full. (I, too, had a rough time growing up, it was pretty dreadful.)

I went keto late April 2022 but didn’t like it one bit, so about 3 weeks in I decided to go carnivore. I’m not saying keto wouldn’t have worked for me if I’d stuck it out, but carnivore “worked” immediately. Firstly, carbs weren’t an option and that really helped my mindset. I’m an all or nothing type person, definitely not a moderator, so taking carbs completely off the table made a huge dent in how much I thought about what I could eat next and all bargaining-type thinking about what carbs I could have, or get away with having, in my next meal.

Secondly, going carnivore gave me the freedom to just eat, with no weighing and measuring. I read a bunch of stuff online at the time which really lessened all “I’m on a diet” and “I have to watch what and how much I eat” and “Calculators on the internet say I need x number of calories a day to lose/maintain/gain weight” type obsessing. Plus stuff about bodies needing quality/animal proteins and fats to heal a lot of damage done by unhealthy eating and living, so make sure you eat enough to support this process etc. This change in thinking and new thinking was hugely supported by the fact I was steadily losing weight despite eating a LOT. It blew my mind! 3-4 pounds of meat a day for many months, plus some dairy.

Thirdly, I found it impossible to overeat/binge on meat to the same degree as bakery goods and ice cream etc.

Fourthly, any hunger I experienced was more physical and much, much less emotional and therefore easier to deal with. I had days where cravings were strong, but what Robin said about the urge/cravings ending (or at least really, really easing) in @10 minutes whether I gave into them or not was true for me. Sometimes I had a bit of bacon or cheese or a coffee with cream, sometimes I managed to find something to distract myself, and sometimes I just toughed it out until it passed. I still have the odd day here and there where I have some cravings, but they aren’t as strong. So take that as some encouragement :smile: The frequency and intensity will ease and for some people they almost completely disappear.

I don’t know your height or weight or age, but I encourage you to make sure you are eating enough. I have hungry days and not very hungry days and on hungry days I have no qualms about eating more. Food, on the carnivore way of eating, is no longer an enemy to me. I eat “relaxed carnivore” by the way - meat (mostly 80/20 ground beef and fatty pork shoulder), occasionally eggs, some cheese and very low carb natural greek yoghurt, and coffee with cream.

Anyway, this is what I’m doing and it’s really helping my food addiction which, I believe, is largely created and maintained by my emotional and psychological relationship with food. Tho, in saying that, I don’t discount how physiologically addicting some foods are. Good on you for pursuing counselling help and working on self awareness and healing! I hope you can extend yourself some compassion for the role food has played in your life and your current struggle with it. It’s helped you cope and that’s important! You are learning new and more useful ways of coping now but honour that you who found a way to survive.

All the best and keep us posted! :smile:

(Edith) #12

You are definitely not meeting your nutritional needs if that is the case. It’s no wonder you are craving food. Just to give you an idea of how much you are under eating: I am a 5’3", 58 year old female and I eat anywhere between 1 - 1.5 lbs of meat a day plus some fruit and leafy greens on top of that. Definitely eat more.

(Allie) #13

This, absolutely. You need to eat a lot more.

I wonder if you have properly used fat as a lever yet? When I make sure I’m getting adequate fat I don’t have cravings for anything unhealthy for me. Not even emotional cravings, (which is really the only kind I get.) If I do feel a bonafide hunger pain I hit it with something fatty, even a spoonful of coconut butter can do the trick. But even better if I have a nice fatty piece of meat in my fridge to grab. Your calories are way too low and it could be placing your body into starvation mode? (I’m 5’2”, 58 yr old and even I need at least 1200/day) I know calories aren’t supposed to matter as much, but I think regardless if your carnivore or Keto the carbs matter if they are too low. If you are eating enough meat and fats your calories should naturally be much higher. I struggle to keep my calories low because of how much fat I like to eat with my meats. I do notice on days when I’m not getting enough volume of fat and protein that’s when I have a hard time handing emotional cravings.

Interesting development tho, what I have been craving is meat and fatty meat at that. Like all day long. Love that.

That’s not much… Well it depends on the fattiness of the meat, of course and we all have different needs…
If I ate that much meat (rather closer to a pound as I love my other protein sources… :wink: ), few to several eggs and some dairy (little but fatty), I would have a great day. Macro wise, at least, I wouldn’t be necessarily content but it is possible if I focus on some nice meat and try to forget about dairy… That just adds fat like crazy but can’t satiate me.

(Chuck) #16

Here is my take I find that any time I have a craving it is because my body isn’t getting a mineral or vitamin it needs. But I don’t crave sugar or processed carbs like so many, I crave fruit and or some vegetables. I don’t do and special diet my rules are simply no fast food, no processed carbs, and only the occasional wheat products. And if I have anything with wheat it is with stone ground wheat and made from scratch at home, so I know what is in it.

(Edith) #17

Well, that fits with the point I was trying to make. If that is how much I eat for my size, the OP should definitely be eating more protein than that.

(Sid) #18

Yup, you are all very much correct! Yesterday I made a meal with chicken, bacon, whole cream and cheese and after about 1 lbs of that the issue just magically disappeared! It did come out to 9 carbs per portion though(and I only eat once per day which should generally be fine) so that makes me sort of resent eating it, will try to tweak the recipe a little to get rid of those.

I take 6 vitamins/minerals everyday so in my case I don’t think this would be it. I think it may be that I’m getting to little salt/electrolytes as well so will try to look into that.

Cheers

Do you have some reason to go for super low-carb? I don’t so I just try to avoid plants and it always feel quite nice, no matter if I eat 3 or 30g carbs (still very much keto for me but VERY different from 30g carbs from vegs and nuts). But I can imagine very well that someone needs to be super low, I am just curious if you have some experiences pointing to that direction as your best choice.

(Edith) #20

Considering we recommend eating 20 grams of carbs or less per day and you came in at 9g, why should you resent that? Sounds like a perfect keto meal.