Craving berries

I am craving berries madly. Berries with a fat source. I know berries are allowed in keto to an extent but my problem is more so that I have acid reflux and mild gastritis and they are quite tart. What can I do to get rid of this berry craving? I think there are some antioxidants in them I’m wanting but I don’t know.

I’d eat the berries, just not an insane amount, and use Betaine HCL and Digestive Enzymes to help digestion with all your meals. You’re not on PPIs are you? Those typically make reflux way worse. Can’t digest stuff when you’ve killed all your stomach acid.

Also, whenever you’re eating stuff higher in carbs/fructose, leave the fat out. Fructose acts a little different from sucrose in our bodies, but when you can avoid mixing fats and sugars, its best if you do.

no PPI’s. I refuse. My sphincters got damaged after being given tube feed in a hospital, and I’ve had reflux so bad it goes into my ears. I’ve been warned I will get cancer by mom, but none of my endoscopies have shown barrets syndrome.

I try to eat bitter greens, use turmeric and ginger to stimulate bile to help digestion.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

Eat a small handful along with other foods you know are safe for you. See what happens.

You might leave these out of your meals for a few weeks and see if they’re causing any problems on their own. Lotta oxalates in those.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

So a handful of blueberries in heavy cream is a problem?

Also, acid reflux has been shown to be a problem of not enough acid in the stomach, rather than a problem of too much acid.

And if you are eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet, your need for exogenous anti-oxidants may not be as great as was formerly believed. It has been known for several centuries that fresh meat in the diet prevents scurvy. Vitamin C is required only on a diet that does not contain fresh meat, as was proved by the famous Andersen/Stefansson experiment at Bellevue in the 1920’s. They ate nothing but meat for a year and did not get scurvy, much to the researchers’ disappointment, it seems.

The problem the British Navy faced was that their ships had room on deck for only so much livestock, and once all the pigs, goats, and sheep were gone, the sailors on extended deployments lived only on ship’s biscuit (lots of carbs, in other words) and salt beef (which is preserved, not fresh). Citrus was the ideal solution, because it was so much more easily stored in the hold than livestock.

There is no one solution around nutrition.

'nuff said.

only thing that worries me is that darn word CRAVING.

You crave sweet you aren’t missing some antioxidant, you want sugar back :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Since they give you a bad reaction and it sounds nasty from what ya wrote on what you are dealing with…to get rid of this craving eat more fatty stuff.

You can eat some cream cheese or some type of cream item you desire. Just use the fat as a known ok item to eat vs. berries that will give you a reaction.

maybe the Keto people can tell you a good fat bomb type little item that would give you good fat intake but no sugar? I am not Keto so I don’t know what is the best substitute for this but I know they know!

wishing you the best :slight_smile:

Or not. I never craved sugar itself, just sweets (not necessarily due to the sweetness but it’s somewhat unclear. but unsweetened “sweets” often worked too, it’s just harder to make that tasty) or fruit, the two are very very different as eating sweet things or sugar doesn’t help if I want fruit. Raw vegs have a better chance, more similar to fruit and vice versa. I think I could eat so tiny fruit (1g carbs was usually enough for my daily portion) only because of my raw, juicy vegs. But maybe it’s just me.

But… If I eat close to no or really no plants, I never want fruits. The fruit need just disappeared.
I would use fatty protein myself, good for almost any food related problems :smiley: At least in my life.

Berries/cream/monk fruit/black coffee/yum

If fruit bothers your digestive system, what about some sugarfree jelly (I think Americans call it Jello? The one with gelatine crystals) and whipped cream. You can get nice berry flavours and the carbs and calories of the jelly itself are very minimal. Of course, it is full of artificial sweetener which may or may not be a problem. But if you’re not trying to avoid sweet things, it’s a pretty harmless way of scratching the fruity itch.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Love this.

Oh, good idea!
Maybe some fruit tea would be okay as well, it has real fruit but super little while the flavor is there… One can make jelly from it without any sweetener (or with their own preferred one at the right amount).
It definitely scratches a mere fruity itch. Not when I totally want to bite into some specific fruit but it’s probably not the case here. And fruit teas very often comes in berry flavor…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

The Jell-O brand does have sugar-free gelatin in its product line, but most of what it sells is loaded with sugar. Reading labels is essential.

(Robin) #15

@anon69861679 @Belisarius
Cravings may or may not go away. Not one size fits all.

And if berries are where you choose to get your carbs and that makes you happy, go for it.

What works for me, and this will not be for everyone…is either blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or blackberries. And cream. Soured cream usually. It’s normally blueberries, cream, and sometimes walnuts.

Only a handful btw.
I stay in ketosis.

Good luck.