COVID-19 What Are/Will You Do to Deal with This?

(Mary) #121

I love this. The oblivious idiot mentioned a few posts up needs to have someone question him…

(Scott) #122

My daughter is a nurse in the states and said she has seen this in the last day or two.

(Bunny) #123

Interesting?

Footnotes:

[1] “…Viruses are continuously changing as a result of genetic selection. They undergo subtle genetic changes through mutation and major genetic changes through recombination. Mutation occurs when an error is incorporated in the viral genome. Recombination occurs when coinfecting viruses exchange genetic information, creating a novel virus. …” …More

[2] How Covid-19 immunity testing can help people get back to work: “…Establishing who is immune is important for figuring out who can safely return to work. For example, health workers are facing staffing shortagesas Covid-19 spreads through their ranks, and serological tests may soon become necessary to keep hospitals and clinics running.

These tests are also a forensic tool, tracing the spread of the virus through a population. This can solve some of the unknowns of the Covid-19 outbreak and help scientists get ahead of the next pandemic. Countries like China and Singapore have already used serological tests for contact tracing to see how the virus has spread.

Serological tests use blood serum, the liquid part of blood, excluding cells and clotting proteins. Even though SARS-CoV-2 isn’t typically present in blood, an infection causes white blood cells to make antibody proteins that help the immune system identify viruses and stop them, or mark infected cells for destruction.

Although these proteins can be detected in the bloodstream and blood serum, it can take several days for someone to make these antibodies after an infection. So a serological test isn’t always useful for finding an active infection — and can yield a false negative, showing that someone doesn’t have the virus when they actually do. The results of these tests can also be trickier to interpret than results from the more common RT-PCR tests used to diagnose Covid-19, which detect the virus’s genetic material.

But antibodies can linger long after an infection has faded. That’s why serological tests for antibodies can identify past cases of the virus.

“That’s a great screening tool to figure out what proportion of our patient population had it or what proportion of our hospital staff has been exposed to it,” said David Pride, associate director of microbiology at the University of California San Diego. …” …More

[3] ”…Coronaviruses are RNA viruses, short for ribonucleic acid, which plays a role in the production of the body’s proteins. The protein responsible for replicating the RNA genome lacks the proofreading capability that DNA has, giving RNA viruses high mutation rates.

To change into a version capable of surviving in people, the virus must mutate in a way that allows large spiky proteins on the surface of the virus cell to successfully bind to surface proteins on a human cell, said Dr. Lindenbach.

Next, the virus needs to come into contact with humans. The easiest path is if a human eats a butchered, infected animal, experts say. Exposure to animal urine, feces or saliva through an animal bite or at a market can also facilitate a virus’s hop from animal to human.

The virus also needs the right proteins to be able to fight off the host’s immune system. “It’s a numbers game,” Dr. Lindenbach said. “Viruses give out many different mutants but only those suited to replicate will propagate.”

Bats in particular are capable of harboring dangerous viruses because their bodies can weaken their own immune systems to save the energy needed for flight. Doing so helps them maintain enough defenses against the pathogens to prevent illness, though they can still carry the virus.

While some coronaviruses can live in animals without making them sick, that same virus, once evolved to survive in a human, can be deadly.

The new coronavirus is attacking people’s respiratory tracts and causing severe pneumonia. Scientists involved with the Nature study said in their paper that the most likely route of viral transmission between people is through their airways, although more patient data is needed to determine other possible routes.

China is a disease hot spot because dense, rural communities are moving closer into lands where large bat populations live, while a long tradition of eating and farming wildlife adds additional risk of exposure to deadly infections. …” …More

(Dee) #124

I have been off work since March 19th. Fortunately, I can work from home remotely. We don’t know when we will be able to return to work, but it will not mostly before May 1st.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #125

I just found out an hour ago that I have been tested positive for COVID-19. I’m still in shock. I’m not allowed out for 2 weeks. I don’t know how to deal with it. All I know is, I’m going to have to get food dropped off by good will. Cos I have no family where I live. It will be sugar and carbs mostly. It’s gonna knock me out of ketosis but I’ll jump back on the Keto train, because I love it and want to keep doing it for life. I don’t miss carbs or sugar at all. I have tins of fish and still a little keto food, so I’ll see how I go. Trust me, be careful and stay home if you can and if you can’t stay home, wear a mask and gloves. It’s awful and I can tell you, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I got it from working in a supermarket and not washing my hands constantly. It’s everywhere. Just be careful and take care.:heart::heart::heart:

(Ashley) #126

I’m sorry Aimee! I’ve been on day 10 of quarantine! I still am awaiting test results, Michigan is crazy slow right now!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #127

Thanks Ashley. Just rest up and have warm drinks. That’s what the doctor said to me. I hope your test results are negative. You rest up and take it easy too.:heart:

(Ashley) #128

Thanks I didn’t take it super seriously ( I didn’t leave quarantine). But now my dad passing away potentially from it has really gutted me. I feel so sad and mad.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #129

I know babe, I’m so sorry for your loss. He is watching over you. I promise. Allow yourself as much time as you need to grieve. There’s no wrong way to grieve. And there’s not much I can say because I know that no words can really help when you lose someone you love. All I can say is I understand what your going through, and my thoughts are with you. :heart::heart::heart:

(Ashley) #130

Thanks I Appreciate it a lot!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #131

Awww @Bubby1, sorry to hear this. Sending every good wish!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #132

Thanks Rebecca. Much appreciated. Everybody just all needs to be careful. It’s SO easy to catch.:heart::heart:

(Stephanie ) #133

Hugs and prayers to yous! We will all get through this!

(Elmo) #134

Shelter-in-place at home, with all four kids - ages 22, 20, 17 and 15.

10% Auuggghhhh! :rage: Kids…
70% Things are going pretty well, but it’s still early.
20% Wow, they’re taking it seriously and (getting choked up here) showing what impressive adults they’re becoming or will become.

(JJ) #135

I live in Australia. I pulled my kids out of school a month ago, homeschooling and so far it is going well. My husband has one of his two part time jobs left and can work from home for the 2 days he does that job.

We normally call into our local rural grocer ridiculous amounts of times a day, we are doing it fortnightly at best now.

I work permanent night duty as a registered midwife. I am the biggest risk of transmission to my family and that weighs heavily. Other than my employment, we have limited to no contact outside our household.

Wishing you all safe and healthy times, this is all so unprecedented.

(Doug) #136

It sure is, Jules. Be careful out there! Australia as a whole is doing quite well with this thing, thus far.

(Doug) #137

Obviously still in the very early stages in the U.S., but here in Atlanta one area has rapidly doubled the amount of vehicle thefts. At least in part this is thought to be due to police being told to avoid physical contact if possible, and approach non-violent crime with a more hands-off attitude.

In a small town in Maine, some locals blocked a road with a tree, trying to quarantine some people from out of state. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/maine-coronavirus-quarantine-tree.html

That’s also mentioned in this article about people going to second homes or vacation spots:

(Leroy) #138

My teenage daughter’s joke of the day:

Coronavirus update: Everyone at Liverpool John Lennon airport has been quarantined.

–Imagine all the people…

I am isolating at home and next week when I have to have contact (we are opening up in Sydney, tomorrow) I am intending to keep my distance, 2 metres.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #140

Can’t you walk or cycle to work, @amwassil? Or are you too disabled to?

Don’t the grocery stores around you do delivery, or have they closed their books due to high demand?