Covid-19 and Immunity?

This is truly interesting.

They also reported that naturally occurring anti-A antibodies were able to inhibit or even block the binding of the virus to the host cell.

An example of this is the norovirus which causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea. This virus is able to bind to ABO antigens on mucosal surfaces of the gut, and once this happens, it is able to gain entry into the host cell and then replicate. On the other hand, anti-A and anti-B antibodies may be part of the body’s natural defence and could limit or even prevent infection.

Basically those of us with blood type A+ are most susceptible to covid-19 due to the lack of Anti-A antibodies and it also seems based on a comment below that having rH(positive) antigens on the cell surface of (blood) cells makes us more susceptible because the virus can use (blood) cells to replicate? I wonder if A- people don’t have any antigens on all their cells?

What I don’t understand is… if A- blood people lack antigens on their cell surface… Do they have Anti-A and/or Anti-B antibodies? Or some other antibodies floating in the blood?

Yes but out of all those test how many tested positive with a RH -. I ask bc my bf has it, A+, I have A- and did not get it, living in the same house. My daughter is O- and did not get it either. My dad has it, A+, and my friends husband has it A+ both infected but the wife is A- like me and didn’t catch it. Just curious on if that plays a part?

Thanks for sharing this. I feel relieved since I have O - , hope the labs will develop something for everyone else very soon

(Ethan) #4

I know some are doing DoorDash, uber East, instacart

(Karen) #5

OK so there’s this meme going around on the Internet about… Do you remember way back in late last year or early 2020 That everybody had this terrible respiratory virus that lasted for six weeks?? …

That might actually be a thing. My mother-in-law is on oxygen and 88 years old. Her doctor wanted all close family members and spouses to test for COVID-19. I ponied up 100 bucks out of my pocket to test.

Oddly enough I am positive for Covid antibodies. Was I sick?? Absolutely … Remember way back in early January where we were all sick with this terrible Respiratory virus that lasted for six weeks?? … Yeah I was!

(Doug) #6

:clap: Karen, that is great news! :slightly_smiling_face: I wish we all were.

Colorado is at a relatively large 18% positive rate for tests thus far. At the moment that might be skewed a little toward the high side, i.e. a lot of sick people got tested, but still definitely significant.

But - January, when officially Colorado’s first cases were March 5, first death March 13. Interesting…

Georgia - officially March 2, first death March 12, very similar. I have a sister-in-law who was on a ventilator in intensive care for two weeks, December into January. 57 years old, in good shape, no co-morbidity factors at all. She’s getting tested tomorrow.

(Karen) #7

I find this very interesting, because I think it may have been in communities much much earlier than detected by the first diagnosed case in March. I would not be surprised if the rest of my family, who were all coughing at the time, are also positive for antibodies. Or the test is just junk.
:rofl::joy::grin:
Anyway I am trying to see if I can get an appointment to donate plasma

(Karen) #8

I am so very glad to hear that she is off the ventilator, and recovered. I shall not be surprised however if she had Covid that early

(Bob M) #9

Let us know. My wife theorizes that a family she knows had covid at around the same time, though perhaps a bit later. The mom and dad both traveled a lot (at the time) and the dad got something, then the whole family got something. It was long lasting, though the kids only had high fevers and rashes. The mom just got tested with an antibody test. We’re still awaiting the results.

(Doug) #10

Quite a few people were literally holding hands with her when she was in the hospital, none of whom ever “got” anything, that we know of, including her 83 year old mother.

No easy explanations present themselves, it seems. “Some” unknown cases at first - sure, very believable. Yet normally within 2 or 3 weeks there are evident spreading cases and deaths begin. In a place like New York City, there are soon tens of thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of cases.

Certainly, lower population density makes a big difference, but how do we get to people having it 2 or 3 months before known cases appear?

(Karen) #11

This is such a good question Doug. What about all those people who were sick in late December and early January. The guard at the gate at my mothers senior facility said that he was sick in late December. He felt so bad he went to the doctor. He’s in his 70s. They gave him Tamiflu. He had had a flu shot. They just figured he had flu. I wonder… Could he have had Covid?

The only time I was sick was January through February coughing through mid March. I went into isolation early because of my mother and because of my age. I have been nowhere. I’ve gone to the grocery and done pick ups only. I quarantine my groceries and wash the rest with bleach water. I disinfected light switches and door knobs when I came home from the grocery. I wore my mask in the car even though the masked clerk delivering the groceries only place them in the trunk and I opened and closed the door. So if I got Covid after I went into isolation it seems really unlikely.

It also seems unlikely that I got it in late February through Mid-March when I went into isolation, and showed no symptoms. I don’t buy it. I must’ve had it in January. Weird

(Doug) #12

I would agree - by far, that’s the most likely explanation. I wish there was a program of reporting test results for people like yourself who had such symptoms. One possibility would be that a different strain of the virus was present when you first got it - there already are “many” different versions that have been found.

Just looking at the “spike” protein on the outside of the virus that allows it to hook to human cells, this preliminary report claims to have detected 14 different mutations.

(Karen) #13

There were two versions of the COVID-19. The one that looks like it came from Europe in the one that looks like it came from Asia.

Also

Interestingly I think I just read about this this morning I read of a test that’s going to be conducted on people who have not been diagnosed or recovered from coronavirus and they’re going to be looking for antibodies.

(SammyOlsen) #14

Omg, what is this then? A conspiracy?

But you might have gotten those antibodies from a later contact too. I had a lot of friends who complained about that flu in Nov/Dec/Jan. As far as I know, they did not test positive for corona antibodies.

(Bunny) #16

That’s interesting I wonder if there are subtypes and variations of ABO’s from Chromosome 9?

image link

Footnotes:

[1] “…Gut Bacteria Enzyme Can Transform a Blood Cell’s Type. The key to changing blood types may be in the gut Enzymes made by bacteria in the human digestive tract can strip the sugars that determine blood type from the surface of red blood cells in the lab, a new study finds. …” Aug 21, 2018 …More

[2] An enzymatic pathway in the human gut microbiome that converts A to universal O type blood

[3] Your gut bacteria may match your blood group – but we don’t know why

[4] Association between the ABO blood group and the human intestinal microbiota composition

[5] “…In 1982, a group of researchers took the first promising steps in artificially converting blood types. Using an enzyme isolated from unroasted green coffee beans, they snipped B antigens off red blood cells, effectively creating type O blood that could be transfused into human patients. But the coffee enzyme had its drawbacks. For one, it was finicky, requiring a very specific set of conditions to work—which meant putting the blood through the ringer before it could be used. Even when the experimental setup was just so, the enzyme was sluggish and inefficient, and the researchers had to use gobs of it to see an effect. Still, the discovery of the coffee enzyme signaled to the rest of the world that blood conversion was possible—and, more importantly, the necessary tools likely already existed in nature. By the early 2000s, an appreciation for the immense diversity of enzymes in the bacterial kingdom had begun to emerge, and researchers began to turn to microbes for their sugar-slicing needs. In 2007, researchers reported the discovery of two bacterial enzymes that, in combination, were capable of hacking both A and B sugars off of blood cells. The enzyme that sheared B antigens off blood was a thousand times more efficient than the coffee enzyme from 35 years prior. But the enzyme that targeted A antigen produced slightly more sobering results, requiring too high a dose of enzyme to be practical. …” - Smithsonian Magazine

closed #17