Couple of Questions

(Jill Lothian) #1

Hi Everyone, me again another couple of questions for you. What does a typical days food look like for everyone? and how long do people who are fasting fast for?

Mines would be

Lunch
Spinach
bit of mayo
ham
avocado

Dinner
Spinach
bit of mayo
meat of some sort
olives
hard boiled egg

Black tea
water
Sparkling water

Does this look ok?

Thanks a mill x

(Allie) #2

Mine has no structure to it. Yesterday was three pre-cooked chicken thighs from the fridge halfway through the morning, then bacon and eggs with loads of mayo sometime later.

Your plan looks ok but you may want to play around with different things as there are so many options on keto.

(Jill Lothian) #3

Thanks, I am quite fussy but you are right I need to explore a bit more :grin:

Everybody’s different, what your eating is fine but for me it looks more like snacking than meals. For me yesterday

Breakfast
3 scrambled eggs with chedder cheese and avacado and 2x thick cut Bacon

Lunch
Greek Salad with chicken

Dinner
Buffalo chicken dip scooped up with pork rinds

Desert
Homemade vanilla icecream

Don’t be afraid to eat, if you do it becomes a “diet”.

When I fast its typically 3-5 days.

(Allie) #6

With fasting I aim for a minimum of sixteen hours, the well known 16/8 protocol, but rarely eat as soon as I hit the 16, unless I’m really hungry at that time. I’ve gone up to 72 hours before but more often 24 - 48.

(Allie) #7

You’ll likely find your tastes change over time, many people do :blush:

(Jill Lothian) #8

That’s brilliant!!

(Jill Lothian) #9

That is brilliant, I am going to try a longer fast!! I just don’t feel hungry at all its quite amazing.

(Allie) #10

One of the many positive effects of keto :grin:

(Tammy Kidd) #11

I switch up my eating window just about everyday. I just go by how my body feels. I do agree you need to explore other foods so you don’t get bored lol.

(Olivia) #12

I’m on a 18/6 IF protocol week-days, however, once or twice I’ll go a few hours longer and only eat dinner. On the weekends, I have a relaxed breakfast before I go on my long walks or cycling trips. During such days, I will have some nuts, or cheese, or smoked meats for lunch and have a large luxurious dinner.
Mo-Fr:
Breakfast (7:00-8:00): black coffee
Lunch (13:30-14:30): Rahm-Quark (It’s sort of like a very fatty Greek yoghurt/sour cream thingy 450kcal)
Dinner (18:30-20:00): Stir-fried veggies with fatty meat/fish cooked with +/- (Feta-) cheese +/- cream cheese. During warmer weather, I’ll often have a massive salad with avocado, fish/bacon/chicken, parmesan/feta, other veggies, lots of olive oil. Sometimes I’ll have an omelet with 4 eggs and whatever is in the fridge (850-1000 kcal).
Dessert (closely following dinner): 25g 85%-100% dark chocolate (120-140 kcal)

Sa & So
Breakfast (9:00-10:00): Rahm-Quark
Lunch (12:00-14:00): Pfefferbeißer/Landjäger (smoked german sausage / Nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts)/ Cheese (600 kcal)
Dinner (19:00-20:30): something awesome and keto and > 1000kcal/ large salad at a restaurant + wine
Dessert (<22:00): dark chocolate and wine (It’s weekend)

(Jill Lothian) #13

This is great thank you so much :yum:

(Chris McRoberts) #14

I luv high fat coffee (heavy cream, butter,coconut oil ) for breakfast. Usually do hard boiled eggs, some veggie and fat dip. Dinner-fatty meat, celery and blue cheese

1000s of entries in this topic on the forum to peruse!!

(Lonnie Hedley) #16

I exemplify boring keto and eat the same thing almost every day.

Breakfast (8-noon)
1-1.5 tbls HWC per morning coffee, typically 2, no caffeine after noon

Lunch (@ 1)
3 eggs
2 tbls HWC
1 cheese stick (currently Cracker Barrel cheddar jack)
60g sour cream

Dinner (close eating window by 8, 9 at the latest)
3 slices of bacon
1/3 lb ground beef (110-120g cooked)
3 eggs
60g sour cream
28g cream cheese
The only variations are where I get a couple remaining calories/grams of protein. Last shopping trip I picked up different packages of “natural” sausages. Otherwise I’ll have a cheese stick to get to protein goal.
Just under 1900 calories every day, 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs.
I’m one of those weirdos that enjoys tracking and seeing perfect macros every day. Even though I’m eating the same thing every day so it’s no surprise the numbers are always the same.

(Jen) #17

Just a quick question about the 18/6 IF. I usually don’t eat from 7 at night til 1 the next day but I have a bullet proof coffee at 9 in the morning. Does BPC count as breaking the fast? I’ve read that it’s allowed during a fast and isn’t counted as “eating”. Thx

(Lonnie Hedley) #18

Multiple schools of thought on that. One school says fasting is no calories, so BPC breaks your fast. Another school says that since fat doesn’t really spike your insulin and helps you keep on the fast then it’s ok and you’ll get most of the effects of the fast. That’s why some people “fat fast” where they allow themselves forms of fat to keep their fast going for longer. I’m greedy, so if I fast I want all the benefits, so it’s water only. Maybe black coffee on the first morning or two.

(Olivia) #19

I’d say it breaks the fast because you’re taking in energy and therefore, your body doesn’t have to solely rely on body fat for fuel. Big factor: how much kcal are in that BPC and do you add cream? However, you are still giving your body approx. 14 h of strict fasting, if you’re having that BPC at 9 am. This also brings up the question of how swift that fat is metabolized to usable fuel by the body. Say that process takes an hour, which would mean 15 h of fasting.
Despite all of this, I’d say, from experience, “if it aint broke – don’t fix it”. If you are losing weight at a reasonable rate (1-2 pounds / month), don’t change a thing, smile and be happy. If your weight loss stalls for 3-4 weeks (i.e. zero lbs, not slow weight loss), you can used that as an opportunity to tweak your diet and exchange that BPC for black coffee (very low hanging fruit).