Could Keto in four weeks cause gall bladder problems

(Ginandtonic1988) #1

I’m having discomfort on my right hand side of my back I’m guessing it’s my gall bladder as I’m having no problems within the urine department! Could Keto have caused a gall problem so quickly, my diet before Keto was terrible and full of fat from cakes so I don’t feel that this woe has much more fat than before!!

(Khara) #2

My personal, anecdotal opinion - no. I have the same issue. But I believe my gall bladder problems stem from a few decades of eating nearly zero fat. Then, I added fat in and things started getting lubricated and moving about which causes discomfort from time to time. I haven’t read up on it recently but the research I did several years ago left me with the belief that it takes quite a long time for the stones to form. And my take-away was that they were caused by lack of dietary fat, thus gumming up and creating stones. A very basic understanding, not very scientific, but that was my understanding of it. Hopefully you will get some more input.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: First, if it doesn’t go away soon, see a doctor about it. Second, if your diet before keto was terrible then any damage was done then. 4 weeks of keto will get you into ketosis and producing ketones, not damage your gall bladder. Maybe with other distracting stuff going away you finally notice there’s ‘discomfort’ where you didn’t notice before.

(Susan) #4

I had to have my gallbladder removed in December 2003 --from losing over 100 pounds in 8 months doing Susan Powter -ultra low fat diet… that destroyed my gallbladder. I read all labels and didn’t eat anything that was more the 4 grams of fat.

So I am not sure what eating high fats has on the gallbladder as I don’t have one; but know having low fats ruined mine.

I think it was a Dr Berry video I watched a while back (can’t be sure though), there was mention of Keto not causing stones, however something to the effect of reduction in inflammation and shrinking stones could cause the stones to move (aka not be stuck anymore) and that could cause pain.

Might have been in this video

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Actually, it could have been the video by Dr. Bosworth.