Cooking beef

(Jill Cherni) #1

Hey there everyone, I’ve been carnivore for a while now, feel so awesome! I do have a problem with cooking my steaks tho. I usually always buy grass fed or the most natural I can find but they taste so not worth the extra price cause of less fat. I end up spitting out most cause it’s not good. I got a conventional ribeye yesterday and it was also just so so. I did end up spitting out alot of that too, you shouldn’t have to chew it to death to swallow. If I don’t find a way to remedy my steak issue I’m going to have to quit buying them. I don’t usually marinate them or do anything but salt and pepper them and pan fry them for several minutes depending on how thick it is.

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

Try pork, or hamburger. Slow cook beef.

(Jill Cherni) #3

I can cook pork and ground beef fine, or fish, or anything else. I was asking how to cook steak better.

(Jack Bennett) #4

Sous vide and then sear quickly on one side and then the other. It makes flank steak and rib eye really good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

One of my favourite stories has a character cook steaks by “introducing them to the flames and permitting no further conversation.” It also helps to start with well-marbled meat.

Also, while grass-fed beef is a good thing, it is not a keto requirement. If you find grain-finished meat that comes out better for you, you can still do fine on it.

My method: Cast iron pan, bacon fat, fairly high temperature so it sears, baste as you go and then remove with doness you like… Medium rare is mine. I just push on it with my finger to figure it out. Salt and pepper - no marinade Rest the steak and add onion and mushroom and cream and juices to the pan to make gravy (if that is possible with your diet) it is quite fatty and I really like it! Hope you can find something you like

(Edith) #7

I’m not a fan of grass fed unless I slow cook for stew or pot roast. I think for grass fed steak, a sous vide may almost be a necessity. I buy grain finished steak and fry it up in a pan using suet for the pan grease. Then I pour the rendered fat over the steak like sauce. Very tasty! :yum:

(Jill Cherni) #8

So apparently you get your steak from somewhere else than a grocery store or you are not from the USA. I can get grass fed or conventional at my grocery store only. So you can pick from no fat, no taste, or hormones and antibiotics. Ugh I’ll check out a beef guy I used to use that has natural beef which is what you are mentioning here grain finished and delicious. I just hate buying a whole bunch at a time cause he’s not delivering in my area a whole lot but it will be worth it since I waste money getting it at the grocery store.

(Jill Cherni) #9

That’s pretty much how I do it except I use butter. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Edith) #10

I could be wrong, but I believe most beef in the US is raised on grass and finished with grains.

(Jill Cherni) #11

From what I have read, learned… Most US beef are kept in feedlots crammed in and fed corn, hormones to grow faster and administered antibiotics " just in case". Documentaries I have watched showcased the horrid conditions. Most unhealthy garbage you can buy. Young girls are going thru puberty at very young ages from the hormones. That’s why I usually will put up with eating grass fed cause it’s at least clean altho not tasty. You can buy good meat but but but at a regular grocery store. Disgusting what they have done to our food here.

For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to Him be the glory forever. Amen Rom 11:36

So buy good tasting steaks! Don’t be brainwashed into tasteless grass fed ones. Are they better on paper… sure, but they suck! It’s like a vegan eating a cupcake, They think it tastes like a good cupcake which it doesn’t, but they forget what it COULD taste like! I won’t buy grass fed beef, I don’t care if it were healthier AND cheaper, they don’t taste good so why would I buy it? To me that’s the same as nitpicking 1% of brown sugar that’s in bacon from curing… really? I went through this with a lot of buddies years ago when most of them went Paleo which for me was when the Grass Fed thing blew up. I’m all for people doing what they want, but don’t look at me with a straight face and say grass fed beef tastes half as good. I like beef too much to not enjoy it.

(Peter) #13

Perhaps stop watching ludicrously-biased supposed documentaries and calling it “learning,” then.

Correct, they’re only on the grain right at the very end, you think the farmers want to pay for feed when grass that re-grows will feed them? NOPE!. One of those things that work out on both ends!

(Edith) #15

Most of their lives are on grass. Three to six months is the time spent in a feedlot. Now, I’m not saying that a feedlot is a pleasant place. I’m just saying they are not there their whole lives.

And, I do agree with @lfod14, grass fed is not as tasty. I also find that grass fed gives me trouble with histamines. My body actually likes grocery store bought beef better.

(Peter) #16

And in a lot of countries, they’re on grass from start to finish. Not everywhere is the US with its flagrant disregard for animal welfare just because there’s a few extra cents to be made.

(Ken) #17

Yeah, life in a feedlot can be pretty tough, considering all a beef animal has to do is eat, sleep, drink, and poop. Same with pigs in a Hoghouse.

Seriously, I think many people over anthropomorphize food animals, who, if in the Wild would mainly be concerned with not being literally eaten alive by predators. I mean, raising them for food is not exactly preventing their achieving Self Actualization on the Maslow scale.

(Paul) #18

You correctly describe most beef. Grass-fed beef, however, are different. They skip the grain feeding and are fed only grass to the end.

Grass-fed beef have significantly less fat and consequently weigh less. Since cattle are sold by the pound, in order to offset this difference, ranchers charge a higher price for grass-fed beef.

(David Cooke) #19

I can’t really afford to buy steaks every day so I eat minced beef. Tasty? I can cook!

(Edith) #20

Yes, I know that.