Conventional meat, should we go lean? (Thomas Delauer)

(Robert C) #21

Yup - I hate that - conflicting advice where it seems clear both sides are both reputable and correct.

To get around this I lift heavy things. Gives me both the muscle I want and keeps joints and balance in a good place. If I was competitive, I would play with higher protein (and maybe even carbs) but, I see competitive as a threat to longevity so, nope.

(Windmill Tilter) #22

Fish Balancing Strategy…:yum:

Great thread! I’ve been reluctant to buy grassfed beef thus far given it’s much higher price tag and my modest budget. To balance out my Omega 6/Omega 3 ratio, I’ve been eating a ton of canned Salmon and Herring. From what I’ve read, the target balance of O6/O3 is 4:1. I need 150 of fat daily, so for me I just need 30g fish and 120g of regular old O6 fat. Easy!

The great thing about pink salmon and herring is that they’re very small fish, and at the bottom of the food chain so heavy metal contamination is a non-issue.They’re also wild caught rather than farm raised. A can of my favorite Rubinstein salmon is $3.50 for 14.75 oz. It’s cheap as heck because the fish are super high fat and too small to get a proper filet off of and nobody wants that :sweat_smile:. My favorite smoked herring (Bar Harbor Foods) is $2.75 for 6.75oz. It’s worth it because it’s basically the fish version of bacon! Here are the stats for a serving (1 can) of each.

Basically, it costs me about $3.00 a day to balance Omega 6:Omega ratio while getting a massive dose of much needed protein in the process.

Pink Salmon (1 can, 485g)
Cal: 600
Fat: 20g
Protein: 80

Herring (1 tin, 6.75oz):
Cal: 400
Fat: 30g
Protein: 38

(Windmill Tilter) #23

Grassfed Beef Suet Strategy…

The other way around this problem is to buy absurdly high fat grass fed hamburger. As the fat percentage in hamburger increases on a linear scale past 27%, the fine line between hamburger and suet becomes apparent. This hamburger screams past that fine line doing wheelies and spitting fire out of the exhaust pipes. It’s grass fed, grass finished and clocks in at a whopping 45% fat! Not great for a burger, but great to cook, strain off excess fat to use for cooking and seasoning. Basically, you’re buying buying 9oz of 100% lean hamburger for $4.50, and you get a bonus 7oz of glorious grassfed/grass finished fat for free!

(Running from stupidity) #24

Some days, when I’m feeling SUPER-elderly, I’ll get well past 2g