Consuming tea

(Pri ) #1

I have quit everything that I was addicted to. One things I can not quit is tea with milk in it. My question is if I drink tea with milk and don’t eat anything for couple days or week, will that consider as fasting. I can fast easily with tea. But I don’t want to slow my metabolism. So question is will that slow me down if I do EF for 3-5 days but consume tea with milk sat one cup of milk in whole day. Please advice. I want to fast but not able to give up tea yet(hope u understand)

(Ashley) #2

Can’t you just do tea and heavy cream?

(Cristian Lopez) #3

or tea with almond milk?

Its just that the milk lactose will possibly knock you out of ketosis or downgrade some of the benifits of fasting…

Once you consume your “milk tea” than scientifically and by keto standards you have “broken your fast” so autophogy and “enhanced” ketosis will halt.

('Jackie P') #4

I like almond milk in tea and cream in coffee. You can also make up a cup with 1/4 cream and 3/4 almond milk. Nearest thing to milk.
Good luck on your fast :blush:

(Carl Keller) #5

I would suggest trying to greatly reduce the amount of milk you are using in your tea, if you don’t want to switch to heavy cream. I think Jason Fung says that if calories are less than 50, that fasting benefits will be reaped.

One teaspoon (about 5 ML) of whole milk is three calories and .2 carbs. This is going to have a very minimal impact on your metabolism.

(Jody) #6

I have been on the IDM community for months, the only thing they warn is it could stop autophagy if that is your goal. But it doesn’t stop all the other benefits!

I also agree with the heavy cream recommendation , fat is better and “approved” by IDM. But if it stops benefits then you might need to remove it.

(Pri ) #7

Normally I have 3-4 teas in day. I am going to have only 2 then may be 1. I can never go zero I wish I can but never say never. Thanks all for comments and advice.

(Jamie) #8

I’ve switched from hot tea (orange pekoe) during the fasted part of my day to cold brewed. Literally just make it with cold water and let it steep.

Considering for the last 30+ years I’ve drunk enough tea daily to go through a liter of milk, this was a really easy change for me.

During eating windows i have changed from milk to the heaviest cream i can find and things are great.

I hope you have similar luck!

(Jody) #9

I used bone broth, tea, and coffee with coconut oil to get through fasting at first, whatever you need to do!

(Pri ) #10

Today was my first fast ever and it was not bad had 2 cups of tea(less than half cup milk). For me having tea is more like relaxing than having tea tea. I like sipping cup of tea and enjoy the silence(if my kids r sleeping) first thing in morning it’s more like comfort.

(Alec) #11

Have milk with your tea, very unlikely to affect the metabolic protection from fasting. Just don’t go pouring it in, but with my tea, a few drops and that’s enough. Volume matters here, and the volume you put into tea can be small. Also, make sure you are using full fat milk, skim would not help you.

Just noticed that you say you’ve used a quarter cup of milk with each tea… hmmmm… this sounds like a lot of milk in a cup of tea? Do you need that much?

If you are doing your first fast today, congrats. Hope it’s gone well.

(Pri ) #12

Ended my fast today evening, could not pass that hunger wave. I was light headed all day. Still almost 48 hours except my tea. Hope it helped.

Are you fasting for weight loss or autophagy?

(Pri ) #14

Weight loss for now

(Alec) #15

Well done, this is the way to fast. If you feel light headed, end the fast. Good work. Feast well and go again! :+1:

If people are affected by oxalic acid, oxalates, or calcium oxalate crystals, be cautious with tea ( high oxalates) and almonds (high oxalates). Even worse is having that tea with almond milk with dark chocolate (high oxalate).

The good thing about tea with full cream dairy milk is that the calcium in the milk binds the oxalates in the tea, so they are not absorbed.

If you have gut issues, sore joints, calcium oxalate kidney stones, take care drinking tea.

Tea, leaves of Camellia sinensis oxalate reference: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00380768.2002.10409237

(Paul H) #17

That’s interesting in that Since on Keto and IF I have not had to drink as much water at night. I was drinking 3-4 bottles and of course peeing alot as well…both bad. I noticed an occasional twinge in my kidney area and haven been trying to drink more water but, also added lemon and Chanca Piedra or “Stonebreaker” to help with possible stones. In fact I bought some Chankapiedra Stonebreaker tea to help. I would be interested in any experience with it. I really enjoy my Kombucha…nothing added.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #18

Same here! I love tea too!! Have you tried tea with unsweetened coconut milk? That’s my favourite :heart:

I hadn’t heard of it. Thanks.

It’s an herbal tea made from a different plant to the ‘tea plant’ Camellia spp.

I guess it is important to define what “tea” is high oxalate.

From Web MD: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-441/chanca-piedra

The Web MD has a list of journal article references. Most are rat studies for the kidney stone forming and inhibition of forming stones information.

Following that lead, an interesting rat study on effect of the Chance piedra herb on urine stone formation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12010223