Constipation...again

(Toni Felts) #1

Hi everyone,

I know everyone must be so over this topic, but I cannot seem to get to a good place. Once I got my body in ketosis and used to my new way of eating (about 3 months ago) I felt great and everything was rockin and rollin. But about a month ago my husband and I started eating OMAD. He has ZERO bathroom issues, but once again I find myself not going.
My glucose and ketones are in an awesome range, I’ve lost about 20 lbs, eat tons of greens, drink plenty of water, add chia seeds to my salads. I have done everything recommended, so why??? :cry:
I had to resort to laxatives last week, but realize this is not a permanent solution. Before I make an appointment with my doc I thought if see if anyone else is experiencing this when eating OMAD.

Thanks!

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum Toni =).

I have been doing Keto since February and I had a big problem with constipation in the past as well. I do TMAD on a 20:4 (1pm and 4:45 pm for me as OMAD is too many calories for me to eat at once). I think what I have found fixed my issues will be fine for an OMAD or TMAD schedule though =).

I found adding Magnesium Citrate 150 mg tablets solved this problem for me. I take 2 during the day and one in the evening, so 3 a day. I also drink at least 64 ounces of water a day and eat 3 teaspoons or more of Pink Himalayan Salt. I think doing the three things daily has been the solution for me; as I haven’t had any constipation at all since I have incorporated this into my daily routine =).

Congrats on your 20 pound weight loss so far, and best wishes on the rest of your journey. Any additional questions, please ask away, as we all want to help you and your hubby in your Keto adventures =).

(Toni Felts) #3

I will definitely try the magnesium! I add pink salt to almost everything I drink and eat, but I will pay attention to the amount moving forward! Thank you for responding. This had been such a positive life change for us… all but this one little issue!

(Susan) #4

I can totally relate, I was very frustrated when that happened to me as well. It took me a while to figure it out, but this worked for me; so I really hope that it will help you as well =). I also drink some hot herbal tea before bed, so maybe the warm liquid helps a bit too? I have read that drinking plain black coffee when you first wake up in the morning can help move your bowels as well. I am not a coffee drinker personally (it gives me headaches and makes me feel jittery, I prefer flavoured teas and herbal teas myself).

(Toni Felts) #5

I am a coffee drinker! In my past life I drank 3-4 cups a morning and bam! Now, I only allow myself 1 cup…I’m sure this is a contributor to the problem.

(Susan) #6

Try drinking the coffee in the morning, and adding the Magnesium Citrate and see how you do and let us know, Good luck =-). This forum is really awesome; so now that you have found it too, stick around to learn lots, and be part of the group =).

(Toni Felts) #7

I definitely will. Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Getting enough salt, and getting enough fat are the keys for me. Salt (sodium chloride) needs to be in the range of 10-15 g/day for maximum health, which is 2-3 U.S. teaspoons. (The salt already in your food counts toward the total.) Also be sure to drink to slake your thirst. You don’t need to meet some heroic target of liquid, just be sure to drink when thirsty.

Fat has a somewhat laxative effect, so don’t hesitate to eat fat to satiety. Many people find that non-caloric sweeteners also help in this regard. But be careful with maltitol—many people have found its effect, particularly when taken in quantity, to be explosive, lol! (I believe the reviews of the 5-lb. bag of sugar-free gummi bears from Haribo are still up on Amazon.)

(Mother of Puppies ) #9

Second the vote for moresalt and add on more water.

These two worked for me.

(Toni Felts) #10

Ok thank you for the tips…salt. yes.

Tomorrow I will get magnesium and I think I might have found the secret formula! :blush::blush::blush:

(Bunny) #11

Research on Chia and Constipation: The reason chia seeds may work to ease constipation is because they take on a gel-like consistency when they absorb water. This may help with optimal stool formation, keeping stools moister and easy to pass. In addition, much of the fiber in chia seeds is soluble fiber. …More

This is what worked magic for me, never had a problem thereafter. You can get them already ground up or whole I just take small handful and chew them before I eat and no problems!

That gel-like consistency is cellulose which keeps things moving along and prevent impacted stool! Just don’t eat too much of it or things really start getting slippery …lol

Coconut oil is another one that prevents impacted stool!

(Toni Felts) #12

I tried chia seeds once I was at a crisis point. Dr. Boz says to take a tablespoon each hour until you go but I was not patient enough to wait it out. I have started incorporating them in my foods. I’m definitely going to be more preventative moving forward!

(Joey) #13

Greetings @Toni_Felts and welcome!

I’ll second everything said above about sticking with the salt/magnesium/hydration to work past constipation (and lightheadedness, hypotension, etc.)

A great way to combine your water and electrolytes at once is to whip up 1-2 jugs (24 oz each) of Keto Aide. Use the search function to find some good threads on this - one started by @Brenda is the perfect place to learn more.

It took me 2-3 days to fully resolve a whole bunch of interrelated issues, but the Keto Aide works like a charm and now keeps me humming along.

Keep us posted on your progress!

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Stop using the chia seeds. Voice of experience here. Fiber isn’t the answer, yet another thing drs. get wrong. Sodium & magnesium will keep everything moving along, no fiber needed. Some of us just can’t digest it properly so it can become very problematic without cutting down on fiber.

I kept adding it and just got worse and worse. Finally listened to a friend on another forum about how fiber is not needed at all. Just make sure your electrolytes are balanced out.

(Toni Felts) #15

Ok just read the information suggested. I admit I’m a little overwhelmed with how much is safe and should be consumed in any given day (fasting vs non) …then there is the additional calcium suggestion. I’m confident I need to boost my electrolyte consumption but people are all over the map about this. You guys have been super helpful. Thank you so much for all the input! I’ll keep reading.

(Mother of Puppies ) #16

Very important to try and see what works for you.

We’re very into n=1