Conference food I didn't eat today

(Christopher Avery) #1

My first travel adventure since starting keto WOE 16 days ago. The hotel cafe opened too late to eat there so I went on to the conference. And what did I find? Carbs. Then I spied the cream cheese and thought ‘maybe I can spoon enough of this to satiety.’ That’s when I saw the “reduced fat” label.
So I went across the street to Starbucks and got a double shot of espresso with 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream. Ahhh.

(What The Fast?!) #2

Great job!!!

(Clare) #3

It gets easier.
I’ve been gluten free for 13 years now. At first it was very difficult to always be faced with stuff on bread and stuff on pastry. But I got used to carrying a pack of nuts and a piece of fruit. Inevitably if you asked for something gluten free, some culinary genius would bring out some rice cakes.
I loathe rice cakes. They’re burnt polystyrene- this is not a food.
I think that’s why Keto wasn’t too hard a step for me personally because I’d already had several years of perpetual food disappointment at public events. :wink:
And at least now I have a good excuse for telling people to stick the rice cakes where the sun doesn’t shine.
So well done you for passing on the vol au vents. It will he easier and easier to do my friend. Trust me, I know.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Interesting. I know @Brenda gets the reduced fat Philly cream cheese because it’s lower carb than the regular, but I’m guessing the single serving cups must be a different formulation, because the single cup has 2g of carbs.

From her post here, it looks like the 1/3 less fat is actually Neufchatel, not cream cheese, which might account for the difference:

Good job avoiding the temptation. It’s tough when traveling, especially at conferences that put out nothing but carbage.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Philly has removed the whey from their regular cream cheese and lowered the carbs significantly! An 8 ounce brick used to be 16 grams carbohydrate. Now it is 4!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

This calculates to 1 gram carbohydrate per TWO ounces!!!

(Michelle) #7

@Christopher it’s just amazing how America eats… All of these folks loading up on carbs and coffee in the am. I want to nap just looking at this stuff. Great job on the espresso with HWC!! KCKO

(Christopher Avery) #8

Thank you @KetoLikeaLady @Hrh_pod @devhammer @Brenda and @MKChitown for your support! I appreciate it and I appreciate you.

I may have miscommunicated. I was not much tempted by the sugar buffet. My #win wasn’t avoiding temptation. It was that I went and found what I was looking for.

Thank you for the distinctions on the Philly products. I’m working my way through a brick of Philly Cream Cheese n my fridge

(Mary Ann) #9

It really is amazing that there wasn’t one non-carb option. All that sugar and they cut down on that unhealthy cream cheese ;).

(Linda Culbreth) #10

Christopher, that was a great win of finding what you needed and choosing to actually get it. Good job!

(sharonpalmerbrownste) #11

You did great. I have been at this for almost 9 years. There are so many times where I have had to improvise. Ask for what you need. At Starbucks you can always buy a turkey, roast beef or egg salad sandwich and just eat the middle. You can also buy a cheese plate. Just songs ideas that I hope will help you.

(Christopher Avery) #12

@justme and @sharonpalmerbrownste, Thank you. I’ve been traveling extensively for work for decades. I learned a long time ago that “it’s so hard to eat well when traveling” is a limiting belief and a myth. I mean, golly, I have a credit card and am surrounded by choices. All I have to do is be committed to a specific range of choices.
And re Starbucks, the Keto Espresso worked for me, AND, I did buy the 2 hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and grapes tray for my buddy who was about to make the keynote presentation on an empty stomach. Instead, he had a happy stomach.

(Linda Culbreth) #13

That, Christopher, is a true win-win and you even made Starbucks happy in the process!