Colonizing Mars Is No Longer A Dream - More Like a Nightmare? 🙄

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

What exactly are they going to eat? You’ll never guess…

(PJ) #2

You mean we can’t eat the Martians??

Well that’s inconvenient.

What if we find some living underneath the planet? Can we eat them then?

(reminds me: black-humor: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/08/08/what-id-say-to-the-martians)

Well lab meat sounds disgusting but maybe this will lead to them eventually actually coming up with a Replicator.

PJ

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I hope those are going to be grass fed crickets, Yum! :nauseated_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

At least it won’t be Soylent Green. :sunglasses:

Why you should eat crickets!

For those who don’t like crunchy food (or spitting out little legs), there’s the convenience of powdered crickets:

(Cristian Lopez) #5

Wow what a super food! The type of fiber in insects is very strange indeed.

(PJ) #6

Well if any group of people ought to be prone to adopt this, it’s the keto folks, given that crazy high protein, zero ecc nutrition panel.

Probably if I didn’t know what it was, or it was milled to the point where I had better never even see the tiniest trace of bug under any circumstances, it would be ok. I have no idea what it tastes like and I’m not sure I’m brave enough to try. Probably could go read amazon reviews for that!

They say everyone has a price. Possibly, if they found a bug that didn’t taste bad and milled into a flour with a quality similar to gluten for bread, I’d say oh to heck with it and become a convert. :rofl:

PS I see that it costs $2-3 per Tbsp. Well no matter what its qualities I wouldn’t be tempted anytime soon.

(PJ) #7

OK they may be taking this just a little too far

(PJ) #8

I wish I hadn’t looked. I’m blaming this on you @amwassil :rofl:

Summary

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #9

I tried various dried bugs at a science festival I went to in the summer. Most were delicious, although the mealworms were far too dry - all those tiny shards of chewed-up chitin made it difficult to speak for a while afterwards!

I had a very interesting conversation with one of the guys dishing them out about sustainability and that insects have such a rapid life-cycle, making them quick and inexpensive to rear, and we talked about how these critters would likely be playing more and more of a part in everyday nutrition of the world’s growing population as time goes on.

I asked him which of the insects was his favourite to eat, out of the locusts, mealworms, crickets and fat-bellied ants we’d tried. Sadly he couldn’t tell me, as he’s vegan.

For the record the mealworms were hard to chew and swallow, the crickets (although unseasoned) tasted of cheesy salty snacks and we’re absolutely delicious, the ants were like nothing I’d ever tasted before but were not unpleasant, and the locust was bitter as anything - so I had another cricket to take the taste away!

I think I’d struggle with raw, juicy insects, but the dried ones were fine.

:ant:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I’ve had dried crickets and they are delicious. When I was rehabbing squirrels I had to remove the heads of the giant dried meal worms because of their sharp, hard faces/mouth. The squirrels would take a couple of enthusiastic bites, then drop them and drink water. :rofl:

Did you ask where the vegan line is drawn? I mean, if he was a vegan vegan he wouldn’t have been dishing out insects to be eaten.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #12

We didn’t really go into it, although that is a very interesting point! He was part of a team and was actually pretty laissez-faire about people’s food choices. It did make for an excellent discussion about keto vs vegan from the points of view of sustainability and carbohydrate restriction for health, specifically in terms of my blood glucose control. I felt very empowered.

(We parted amicably!)

The session had started with the kids being offered pink marshmallows (coloured with cochineal). Then digestive biscuits. Then they were shown a microscope slide of digestive biscuit crumbs, complete with bits of the body parts of the bugs that live on grain. Turned out the talk was about eating animals - whether we know we are, or not!

It was pretty good!

If a person has shellfish allergies, they could also be allergic to crickets. It’s definitely something to be aware of, and wouldn’t be obvious.

(Murphy Kismet) #14

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

What does this mean PJ? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Personally for my money I’d rather buy lobster than crickets.
(Expressed mathematically)

:lobster: - :cricket: = :yum:

(PJ) #17

Damn. Stole my answer.

@RightNOW–Mealies are actually a very common food in Africa. Not kidding.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

Be careful, David, crustaceans can get you in trouble…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

Lobster theft is a real problem in Maine. :cowboy_hat_face: