CICO - Help me with some of the science

conversationstarters
science
curiosity

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong category…

I have been keto since just before Christmas 2017… I have not had a dramatic weight loss like some but I am down about 20 pounds, but I feel like there has been some body composition changes.

Here is my topic… I have listened to Dr. Fung describe the two compartment problem of insulin as it pertains to the body’s ability to use fat as fuel. It seems to make sense to me based on what I understand about the role of insulin in the body.

I have also heard Dr. Fung talk about the study done on “Biggest Losers” contestants and what happens to their metabolism because of the calorie restriction.

I will tip my hand and say that I do not believe that a calorie is a calorie or that calories have the same effect from person to person based upon the where the calorie comes from.

All that being said, I am left with some questions.

If a person who is eating 6 - 7 calorie restricted high carb meals per day, how is it that they are able to lose weight? I would assume that their insulin levels would rise after meals and because of the frequency of those meals, would remain fairly high. I will also concede that some muscle tissue could be used as fuel to account for the weight loss. But I want to understand how they are able to burn fat at all in the presence of the insulin?

I have thought that perhaps during the day that the body would use up all of the fuel provided by food and would cause the insulin level to drop during sleep in order to use fat reserves to make up the difference, but I don’t think this makes sense.

I hope that my logic and question make sense, but I am left with wanting to understand how it is possible for fat stores to be accessed? I am having success and feeling good in Keto and I have been able to follow the science presented on behalf of Keto, but because I am curious, I really want to understand the reciprocal science.

Anyone want to have a dialog and help me to wrap my mind around some of this?

(Jason Fletcher) #2

Their insulin will be high but their BMR is still higher then what there intake is so they will lose weight.

I could see that, but it doesn’t explain how they are able to access fat for fuel in the presence of insulin, if we assume that the two compartment argument is valid.

(Adam Kirby) #4

You can force your way past this with a brutal exercise regimen a la Biggest Loser. Burn enough calories and create enough of an immediate energy crisis and your body will lower your insulin out of desperation. Problem is you’re walking a razor’s edge and wrecking your metabolism long-term.

Do you know if this metabolic pathway, maybe the desperation pathway has a name that I could research?

(Jason Fletcher) #6

Chris Master John has a great course on you-tube on cellular energy metabolism.
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/08/02/25-insulin-stops-fat-burning-mwm-2-25/

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

(Adam Kirby) #8

You’re basically engaging in extreme glycogen depletion which can create lower insulin and force open your fat-burning pathway.

(Adam Kirby) #9

Check out Richard’s recent post and look at the biomarker data for the Biggest Loser contestants. They in fact drastically lowered their insulin with a carb diet and exercise!! So there’s no question that it can be done.