Cholesterol bloodtest help LDL

(W B ) #1

Hi all,

New to the forum and to keto - inspired by books like Grain Brain to explore less inflammation and better health.

Following a mixture of Plant paradox, Grain Brain ( Dr Perlmutter ) and Keto Diet. I have been on this diet for 4-5 months, I have one cheat day per week.

I am very fit and when I started this type of diet I was about average in bodyfat, I have lost considerable body fat since.

In short, just had bloods back and my total Cholesterol is 6.2 mmol/l

LDL 4.45 mmol/l
HDL 1.37 mmol/l
Triglycerides 0.83 mmol/l

I guess what concerns me the most is my LDL. Here is a snapshot of a typical day in my diet:

Morning:

8.00am -

2 fried eggs ( extra virgin olive oil) with Spinach and 1 avocado, all soaked in extra virgin olive oil and a bit of sea salt with a Black coffee with 1 table spoon of C8 MCT oil. Water.

9.30am -

Black coffee

10.30am -

Two handfuls of Pistachios

Lunch:

12.30pm -

Organic Free range chicken breast, mixed veg cooked in coconut oil (mostly Broccoli , asparagus, kale, spinach, leeks) coconut milk, turmeric) half a sweet potato or konjac noodles.

3.30pm-

Two handful of Pistachios, dark chocolate or some type of natural protein ball ( includes dates ) or 1 avocado.

4.00 pm-

Black coffee 1 table spoon C8 MCT oil.

6.00pm workout + ON Amino Energy two scoops

Evening:

8.30pm

Dinner - Veg stirfry: cooked in coconut oil, Shallots, Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric, Leeks, Asparagus, Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Mushrooms) sometimes had half a sweet potato or Konjac noodles, add a can /half of Coconut Milk, Balsamic glaze. Sometimes add Prawns or Haddock or Salmon

Black Decaffeinated coffee

Supplements:

Vitamin D - 2000-4000 UI
Organic Turmeric, Ginger & Blackpepper
Fish oil 3 tabs 1000mg
Blackwrack - on occasions where I consume more lectins
Probiotics

My guess is the coconut oil and MCT has driven high LDL levels, although I have only been on MCT for 6 days prior to the blood test.

Would love for peoples opinion on the LDL levels.

Thanks

Have look at Dave Feldman’s site - https://cholesterolcode.com/lmhr/ & in particular his theories on Lean Mass Hyper-responders. You could also try running your numbers through his Remnant Cholesterol calculator (found under the ‘Report’ heading) but will need your triglyceride number as well.
A quick use of the search function on this site will also bring up a lot of threads regarding increased LDL on keto :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #3

Welcome to the forum W B.

I encourage you to do some research on cholesterol. What you find might ease your concerns even if your doctor insists you start taking statins.

(Mike) #4

Hi,
I had similar concerns when my LDL shot up to 4.0, my HDL increased to 2.0 and Triglycerides dropped to 0.5, check out the link in Safi’s response and use the calculator.
Also you should view this Youtube video from Prof Ken Sakaris

He also has a couple of other videos on LCHF diet and impact on lipid profiles, it should set your mind at ease.

(Mel Simpson) #5

Cholesterol is protective
Ben Bikman goes as far as to say higher LDL is protective.

(W B ) #6

Thanks for everyones responses, much appreciated. Will do further research but I do think I will reduce my coconut product intake to 2-3 times per week and increase EVOO intake.

(W B ) #7

Oh just to add, I got my triglycerides off of my docs and they are 0.83 mmol/l :slight_smile:

(W B ) #9

Thank you :slight_smile:

(Rebecca Levy) #10

I know you didn’t ask about this but I’m curious why you are eating so many snacks/so many times in between your meals. Most of our experts in keto would tell you to be sticking to a maximum of 3 meals a day, no snacks in between. This is because every time you eat you will get a spike in insulin and you’re not giving your body a long enough period of time in between for the weight loss