Cholesterol bloodtest help LDL

(W B ) #1

Hi all,

New to the forum and to keto - inspired by books like Grain Brain to explore less inflammation and better health.

Following a mixture of Plant paradox, Grain Brain ( Dr Perlmutter ) and Keto Diet. I have been on this diet for 4-5 months, I have one cheat day per week.

I am very fit and when I started this type of diet I was about average in bodyfat, I have lost considerable body fat since.

In short, just had bloods back and my total Cholesterol is 6.2 mmol/l

LDL 4.45 mmol/l
HDL 1.37 mmol/l
Triglycerides 0.83 mmol/l

I guess what concerns me the most is my LDL. Here is a snapshot of a typical day in my diet:

Morning:

8.00am -

2 fried eggs ( extra virgin olive oil) with Spinach and 1 avocado, all soaked in extra virgin olive oil and a bit of sea salt with a Black coffee with 1 table spoon of C8 MCT oil. Water.

9.30am -

Black coffee

10.30am -

Two handfuls of Pistachios

Lunch:

12.30pm -

Organic Free range chicken breast, mixed veg cooked in coconut oil (mostly Broccoli , asparagus, kale, spinach, leeks) coconut milk, turmeric) half a sweet potato or konjac noodles.

3.30pm-

Two handful of Pistachios, dark chocolate or some type of natural protein ball ( includes dates ) or 1 avocado.

4.00 pm-

Black coffee 1 table spoon C8 MCT oil.

6.00pm workout + ON Amino Energy two scoops

Evening:

8.30pm

Dinner - Veg stirfry: cooked in coconut oil, Shallots, Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric, Leeks, Asparagus, Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Mushrooms) sometimes had half a sweet potato or Konjac noodles, add a can /half of Coconut Milk, Balsamic glaze. Sometimes add Prawns or Haddock or Salmon

Black Decaffeinated coffee

Supplements:

Vitamin D - 2000-4000 UI
Organic Turmeric, Ginger & Blackpepper
Fish oil 3 tabs 1000mg
Blackwrack - on occasions where I consume more lectins
Probiotics

My guess is the coconut oil and MCT has driven high LDL levels, although I have only been on MCT for 6 days prior to the blood test.

Would love for peoples opinion on the LDL levels.

Thanks

Have look at Dave Feldmanā€™s site - https://cholesterolcode.com/lmhr/ & in particular his theories on Lean Mass Hyper-responders. You could also try running your numbers through his Remnant Cholesterol calculator (found under the ā€˜Reportā€™ heading) but will need your triglyceride number as well.
A quick use of the search function on this site will also bring up a lot of threads regarding increased LDL on keto :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #3

Welcome to the forum W B.

I encourage you to do some research on cholesterol. What you find might ease your concerns even if your doctor insists you start taking statins.

(Mike) #4

Hi,
I had similar concerns when my LDL shot up to 4.0, my HDL increased to 2.0 and Triglycerides dropped to 0.5, check out the link in Safiā€™s response and use the calculator.
Also you should view this Youtube video from Prof Ken Sakaris

He also has a couple of other videos on LCHF diet and impact on lipid profiles, it should set your mind at ease.

(Mel Simpson) #5

Cholesterol is protective
Ben Bikman goes as far as to say higher LDL is protective.

(W B ) #6

Thanks for everyones responses, much appreciated. Will do further research but I do think I will reduce my coconut product intake to 2-3 times per week and increase EVOO intake.

(W B ) #7

Oh just to add, I got my triglycerides off of my docs and they are 0.83 mmol/l :slight_smile:

(W B ) #9

Thank you :slight_smile:

(Rebecca Levy) #10

I know you didnā€™t ask about this but Iā€™m curious why you are eating so many snacks/so many times in between your meals. Most of our experts in keto would tell you to be sticking to a maximum of 3 meals a day, no snacks in between. This is because every time you eat you will get a spike in insulin and youā€™re not giving your body a long enough period of time in between for the weight loss