CHIK-FIL-A Diet Lemonade OOPS!

mistake

Well it was hot out today and I was thirsty… dropped into the Chick-fil-a with the intention of getting a small Diet Dr. Pepper and several free refills when I saw the “Diet Lemonade”—sweetened with SPLENDA it says…oh, good, how many carbs can a lemon or two have? Well, 2 refills later I put it into Cronometer and BOOM, 24.2 carbs.

If I had looked I could have seen a small one has 30 calories… wouldn’t have been so bad had I not already eaten my 25 for the day.

You might not have even kicked yourself out… at most you can probably sleep that one off. It will be ok. KCKO

(Carl Keller) #3

Lesson learned. A bad day on keto beats a good day on the SAD.

Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose (D-glucose) and maltodextrin (by volume) which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. WIKI

Calling something that is a super high glycemic carb a “diet” drink is misleading IMHO. No doubt they dumped in a shitload to make it super sweet tasting too. I wouldn’t blame the lemons as much.

Personally, I stay away from unknown sweet things at restaurants and at home. I have some stevia packets laying around (which I seldom use any more) but even then you have to read the label carefully to avoid stevia “blends” where they use … you guessed it… sugar.

(Trudy) #5

Thank you, this is now my mantra :grinning:

(hottie turned hag) #6

Pithy and perfect! :+1:

Dafuq!? No way lemons have that many carbs; this is nuts. Has to be the sweetener. I used to adore Chick Fil A’s lemonade…alas nevair again…

(Sheri Knauer) #7

For sure! Unfortunately Splenda is mainly dextrose with some maltodextrin thrown in.

(David K) #8

They may dump in a bunch, but their lemonade does not taste sweet. It is the best tasting lemonade on the market because it is tart like lemonade should be.

Compared to regular lemonade, it certainly is diet. We simply have to look at more than labels.

Yeah, it’s a shame there isn’t a “diet” version and then a “keto” version. I wonder how much lemon juice is in there and how much water to dilute it? Pure lemon juice is listed as 17g carb/8 oz cup. The rest of the lemon is kinda fiberous. [1 lemon = 5g carb]

Drinking a solution of juice + sweet is also different from slow absorption of an actual lemon. Note: don’t eat a lemon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(less is more, more or less) #10

Whoops! Live and learn. Worse will happen. I’ve done worse, nearly always when eating out.

Like any fast-food joint, CFA makes money squeezing cost out of materials to the greatest extent possible. I’m guessing the toxic cocktail they serve include many interesting ingredients, unlike the cute lemonade stands you might happen across, staffed by fourth graders in the hood.

They are optimizing their products for profit, not our health. :wink:

Well…it did knock me out. I was borderline without it that day as I had both lunch and dinner appointments and I am convinced chefs put sugar in everything now…so I slammed down some MCT base this am and will go back to sub 20 for a few days…