Chicken Pizza Crust Options

Oh duh! I thought you had. Sorry.

(Becky Searls) #22

Made the keto.connect one recipe again tonight!!

Side note they also have this post comparing all the different low carb / keto pizza crust options, from fat head to cauliflower to chicken and I think they even have a deep dish?! https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/keto-pizza/

Tonight I doubled everything to make it a sheet pan size—actually quadrupled…4 cans of chicken+4 eggs+more Parmesan ALMOST filled two sheet pans…5 cans would have been perfect! I was making it to use up sauce, pepperoni, sausage and cheese (omg so much cheese) before we travel, so I am also curious to see how it does with freezing now and re-heating when we get back–will post an update when I know!

(Becky Searls) #23

Agree! #gf flours mess with me!

Great. Thanks for that. Going to check it out now. x

(Leslie) #25

I just use scrambled then fried egg to create a 9-12" thin crust. Took 3 eggs for this pizza.

(Becky Searls) #26

Yum!! Look like a pizza, tastes like a frittata?

(Leslie) #27

Tastes like pizza with a slightly crisp, slightly doughy crust. Secret: add a lil cream cheese and salt and cook both sides til firm

(Becky Searls) #28

nice!! any other seasonings to change it from egg-taste to pizza-dough-taste???

(Jennifer) #29

Going through my pantry I saw that we had some buffalo chicken in a can. Hmmm, that gives me a great idea for a buffalo pizza. That would probably be good just with blue cheese on top…

The worst thing about fasting is that I start planning my first meal after fast 2 days early. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I spend most of my time planning food when fasting!

(Leslie) #31

Garlic powder, oregano, marjoram, Parmesan cheese? To me the secrets in the cooking. The egg needs to be cooked really firm on the outside ‘crust’ side and slightly tender on the inside. As far as egg taste it’s not overly eggy in my opinion; especially after toppings and cheese are added.

(Becky Searls) #32

Thanks!

(Leslie) #33

Stromboli too…again, just egg and cheeses-- but this time cut vent slits, brush with oil, and broil to create a crusty-like outside.

(Jane Reed) #34

I tried the ketoconnect pizza crust and liked it because it was easy and fast and had fewer carbs than a nut crust. The flavor was rather bland, which was to be expected. Pieces were easy to eat out of hand.

The recipe calls for a 10-ounce can, well drained. There was not much water in the can. I didn’t measure it but I’d be surprised if there had been an ounce. If a person had some cooked white chicken of approximately 9 ounces I think it would work fine. It only needs to be mixed very well with the cheese and egg so the mixture is as much like a paste as possible.

I did not further dry the drained chicken in a hot oven, as suggested, but just pressed the meat very well with an old tea towel. This is suggested, I suppose, to be sure the baked crust comes out dry, so it won’t wilt in your hand.

(Becky Searls) #35

Uhhhhh yes please!!!

(Becky Searls) #36

Huh! Different brands of canned chicken must vary a LOT then bc my crust was so flavorful and salty it was almost too much, and here was a ton of water in my (12.5 oz, from Costco) cans?! But I agree that maybe cooked chicken could work I had wondered that myself!

(Jane Reed) #37

Becky, my crust was a bit salty since one of the ingredients in the canned chicken was salt, and, if course the parmesan cheese is salty, too. But aside from that I did not find much flavor in the prepared crust

Made a pizza this week where I basically followed the No Carb Pizza Crust recipe from keto connect, except I used pulled chicken thighs (with skin actually) that I made myself, rather than from a can, to try and get the cut of chicken I prefer (and is cheaper) in use and see how it turns out.

Slightly less convenient, but it’s not hard. I threw some bone in with skin Chicken thighs I bought at $1/lb into a crock pot with some salt and light seasonings (as I was planning to do more than just make the crust with this batch, it was something like 5 lbs of chicken thighs). Added a bit of water for reasons I can get into if necessary, but I debated this step anyway.

After a few hours, I pulled out 20 oz of chicken (to do a double recipe). Bone falls right out on it’s own (couldn’t grab the chicken out with the bone the way I was doing it). Only thing I would caution is the cartilage caps will likely still be mixed in, and I preferred to get rid of them for this purpose as they will be a random harder texture in the crust.

Anyway, standard process of pulling apart the chicken into bits with two forks, from there it’s essentially at the state of the canned chicken, so I followed everything else about the same (other than not using a silicone mat, as I don’t have one. I just used parchment paper instead).

Turned out pretty good, I’d say personally, and I continued having the pizza for lunches this week. However, I will caution two points:

1. The texture is spot on, but it did still taste a bit chicken like. But, I guess that’s to be expected.
  2. My kids clearly didn’t like this as much as other pizzas. One of them I can chalk up to psychology (as my wife blabbed what it was right before we ate, which is a mistake with him, and he made his decision before trying it), but the other one reported “liking it” but wouldn’t eat much of it. When I make fathad pizza, they both love it and will eat a bit more. Personally, I still prefer the taste of the fathead pizza, but this was certainly cheaper to make and had less carbs.

On a perhaps more positive note:
This is certainly more filling than any other pizza I’ve tried, including the fathead pizza. I don’t really know if it had more calories per amount or whatever, but regardless it was more filling, and my wife noted it was very filling too. (This could be the reason son 2 reported liking it but didn’t eat much, considering how small he is, but he seriously ate very, very little, which usually means he doesn’t care for something much).

Other notes: I’m not sure if this really ends up being higher in fat than the chicken breast or anything. A lot of the fat is cooked out in the pot, but I’d expect some extra stuck around, particularly in the skin that I kept in. I don’t know though.

Thanks for that - really useful. I was considering whether to cook the thighs I bought first or not.

(Jennifer) #40

I bought some cans of buffalo chicken at costco and haven’t tried it yet. I need to make a buffalo pizza with lots of mozzarella and blue cheese!