Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

cool post Franko. Yea I get some want to track ketones etc. but without the blood monitors it truly is useless in a way. I posted info back about how ketones changes as one becomes more deeply keto adapted and the regular methods most use can’t keep up with those readings to be even close to accurate.

But yea I think those who want to track, go for it LOL
It is interesting to have a timeline on things in your life and experiment a bit and get info from all that. Many want to know. I sure get that.

In Carnivore land some do still. Most don’t. It is not required in the plan. One doesn’t have to care about anything but eat the meat and drink the water and thrive. I just love this cause it suits me so well. I like doing nothing but eat and drink and get great results :slight_smile:

I absolutely change my mood on carnivore. I am happier by far. I feel light and airy and ready to go. My small bit of anxiety I can get every now and then clears up a ton. I have a sense of connection and well being with life more in a way than ever when I was in a carb coma. I truly enjoy this plan. I do wonderful on it…just not something I want to let go.

I see the obsession with the ketone chasing also and I see a lot of crazy about the IF out there. Taking the IF and ramping it up and going a bit far sometimes. Hey fasting is a good thing but sometimes I think it is overused at the wrong time in people’s plans when newer and all that. I am so glad I don’t have to go down that road anymore…I been there doing it all…I got so tired of it all also. Threw all that away for a plan that is simpler, easier, (for me anyway :)) and truly requires no extra work on it. eh, just some thoughts :slight_smile:

back to the challenge-----yesterday was great. had to fight some cravings a bit cause kid was eating some old favs of mine but I didn’t have to fight hard. Just so not hungry and not interested. It was more ‘monkey see, monkey do’ type feeling but I got over it fast. Monkey doesn’t have to do :slight_smile:

Ate up my chuck roast.

about 1 lb. earlier in the day

then finished off around a 1 lb I guess later in the day

All going well. Holding Carnivore dead on. I love this challenge like I said in the beginning, it gives me a very clear focus thru the holidays when the crappy food is flowing and I don’t want to have any focus on that. Keep the focus on the challenge!

(Cheryl) #204

I don’t find I’m eating large quantities, Fang. I can’t imagine consuming that much food without feeling like crap. I look at your 2lbs of meat and wonder where the heck you have space in your tummy for all of that! :grinning:
I’m going to guess the amount we consume is just dependent on our own hunger level and not some prescribed amount. I’ve read in other forums where there’s a minimum / maximum requirement for carnivore to be healthy and sustainable. Your thoughts anyone?

As for ketones, this is the best EVER article I’ve ever read on the subject matter. Amy Berger is my all time favourite person and I’ve had the pleasure of seeing her in person twice at keto conferences. Check it out: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/09/measuring-ketones.html

Cheers! I’m off to work with pork (ugh) leftovers…can’t throw food out just because I don’t “feel like eating that today”. Tonight, chicken thighs. Not a big fan of that either but that’s on the menu for variety.

Hope you’re all doing well on the challenge.
If you need some motivation here’s a good story of healing on carnivore.

I understand it Cheryl. No 2 will eat alike. Some need much less and do well and some need a lot more and do fab and there are alternate days of not eating hardly at all and then days of eating more and more.
2 lbs for me is nothing literally…heehee….and I am full, happy as a clam, and doing so well.

and this morning I felt lighter so I hit the scale…down 1 lb…LOL…see that, all that good meat and seafood and I am losing lbs and I can’t ever ask for more :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Carnivore is go by how hungry you are when you are. We don’t even think about it in terms of too much or not enough. But if one is deliberately limiting their protein then you got trouble. If you eat 1/2 lb. of meat but want more and think the old way of…nah, I will just not eat that and save kcals or thoughts like that…those are just wrong. Key is eat til super satisfied and full and happy. So if less meat is doing that for ya now then you eat as you need.

Plus never say never my friend HAHA
Many a carnivore start and say omg I can’t eat this much and 5 months later they come onto a thread and say…I just ate 3 lbs of meat this day.
and they are stunned they can LOL

as the body heals inside it asks for different amts of food thru this heal process. We will be all different on it.

But if you are eating to your fullness all the time then you are doing it great. Never ‘dieting’ in any way or controlling your portion sizes…then carnivore can ask a lot of different eating from you at any time.

More and more deep keto adapted you go into this plan and hold it longer term, your eating will change up more than you would think. But it is perfectly natural.

You just follow the body cues and you are good to go :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #207

I found zero blood sugar rise for meat. None. No matter how much protein I ate. Even low fat. So, do not be surprised if you find nothing. This is one pound of ground meat and 1 can anchovies:

Another example:

@FrankoBear Yes, when I first started on a ketogenic diet 3 years ago I used the urine strips but after a while it just wasn’t accurate enough for me because of the adaptation like you said. Your posts and info are very helpful. I didn’t realize that if blood ketones are present then insulin is low. As you said, for those of us with major health issues this is important to know. Does it matter what time of day one tests their ketones with a blood ketone meter? Oh, and I’m jealous of your summer temperatures! It’s cold right now and I miss being out in the warm sunshine. :heart: That new toy sounds interesting. Please continue to share your discoveries with us. :slight_smile:

@CherylP I’m not eating large quantities either. There is just no way I could do that right now, but I’ve got a lot of gut healing going on, hopefully, so I’m not surprised. I think that may be one reason why the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet (PKD) has the fat/protein ratio that it does? It’s hard to overeat fat, lol. It may be that after my body heals to a certain point that I’ll be hungry for more? I believe our @Fangs is correct so it will be interesting to see if and when that happens. :slight_smile:

@ctviggen Thank you for sharing your data. Fascinating that you had a zero rise and some others do seem to have a rise.

(Bob M) #209

@ReneeRC If your glucagon (and insulin) system works as it should, then you should not get a blood sugar rise or fall. See Bikman’s presentation on that.

Some say they have higher fasting, morning blood sugar. I have not experienced that. Or if I have experienced it, it’s hidden in the 2,000+ samples I have. But my morning blood sugar now is about the same or slightly lower than when I first started taking data, about 4 years ago.

I finished, “The Fat of the Land” and absolutely loved it. It should be required reading for anyone thinking of doing carnivore. I’ve got another pdf book to read and I’m trying to finish The Bear’s stuff, but I’m also working my way through all the testimonies at ZeroCarbZen. I’ve just got to share this one. Talk about AWESOME!!!

Healing Brain Cancer with a Zero Carb Ketogenic Diet by Andrew Scarborough

Yesterday:

bone broth
ham
eggs
cow brains
ground burger with heart
pork rinds
bacon
animal fats

Whoa!! I’m gonna have to use my Keto Mojo for the next few days to check something out. I found a post over at ZeroCarbZen about bone broth being ANTI-Ketogenic. The folks at Paleo Medicina gave bone broth the okay, but I’m wondering now if it raises one’s blood glucose too much.

If someone is following the carnivore/PKD (Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet) then why would they really need the bone broth anyway other than for enjoyment purposes? This diet fixes leaky gut and I would imagine it heals painful joints as well? Read the comments. Quite a few folks saw their blood glucose rise from drinking bone broth. I don’t add any veggies to mine. It’s simply water, bones and salt. I used to add vinegar but quit doing so when I started carnivore.

**Bone Broth is Anti-Ketogenic

(Daisy) #213

How do you prepare that? And how does it taste?

I’ve never eaten cow brains before so I looked online, lol. Most of the recipes I found said to boil them in water for around 4 to 6 minutes and then use in whatever way I’d like. I sampled some right out of the pot after the boil and I thought they were tasty. It’s very much like eating fat but this brain had a very faint taste of liver. I’ve been eating them scrambled with my eggs and I barely notice them that way. I don’t notice the flavor but upon chewing them they kind of dissolve like a fragile fat.

very interesting Renee

it said: I decided I should clarify that I was drinking 1 quart per day which I do not consider to be a “gargantuan” amount. It is certainly possible that drinking only 1-2 cups per day would have had less of an impact,

I gotta say a quart a day is way more than I ever would drink.

remember one thing also on carnivore…never drink your food.

eat meat first. All the time. bone broth or whatever broth you might have is just a ‘treat’ as in an extra boost for the body…….but we can’t make it food ever.

I like that Zeroing in On Health said that all the time, never rely on bulletproof coffe kinda drink and never rely on broth. In fact they discourage both because it many times takes the place of food when one should be eating real food. It can be an appetite suppressant and that is not wanted on carnivore. You want an appetite, when it comes, how it comes naturally, and you want to eat real food as needed.

(Katie) #216

I am very interested in your results!

@pamplemousse Started measuring tonight. Tomorrow I’ll skip the bone broth and am planning on testing twice, In the AM before breakfast and several hours after dinner. I’m planning on sharing my results. :slight_smile:

(Daisy) #218

Not much change this week, but with my back injury, I fully expected that. I haven’t exercised since Monday when I hurt it. But there was slight change in the right direction. This weekend is going to be massive feasting. Red Lobster tonight and Brazilian steakhouse tomorrow. Then my plan next week is to stick more to beef and less pork. I ate a lot of pork this week. Mostly pork and eggs. So next week is beef!

great report…hey all numbers changed to the better is a great change!

not a red lobster fan but that Brazilian steakhouse, ohhh I am jealous on that one.

Challenge report

food yesterday was

10 slices bacon
2 s/b chicken breast in gf butter
2 chunks cheddar

got caught. on the road most of the day. got home and no beef defrosted. Bad lapse on my part and I was starving so I hit the chicken and bacon LOL

Holding plan very easily. With the not hungry benefits and feeling of wellness I am just cruising along great.

Carnivore! Carnivore! HA Such a great plan I can’t sing the praises enough of it for me :slight_smile:

@Ketodaisy I’m agreeing with @Fangs about your numbers. You’re going in the right direction which is always a good thing! :slight_smile: