Cheap alcohol Breathalyzer

conversationstarters

(Richard) #1

Awhile ago I came across a video stating that very cheap alcohol breathalyzers cannot distinguish alcohol from acetone (expensive breathalyzers can distinguish and only report alcohol levels). It seems to be effective. The problem is I don’t know what the numbers mean in “acetone units”. The unit reports blood alcohol % and mg/liter. Does anyone how those numbers calculate to acetone? Should the goal be any number above zero or should I be shooting for a “drunk” blood alcohol number?
The ketonix unit is reviewed in the forum but this analyzer is about $14-$18 dollars, 1/10th the price of the “ketonix” and does in reality the same thing. It has been helpful for my wife and daughter who won’t do finger sticks. It also is helpful to evaluate what happens when I eat certain foods, for instance sweeteners, which in some causes a spike in glucose
I’d appreciate any answer.

(Allie) #2

(Richard) #3

Thanks everyone for the replies and getting me to the previous discussions. Here is the exact graph I was looking for. It is quite helpful to me!

(Ben ) #4

Any reading is good. I prefer to use a number that I like. I can get 4 different readings with the same breath, 1.59, 159, .79 and .15. The ketone blood reading taken 1 minute after was 3.0

(Richard) #5

My Meter seems a bit more consistent than yours. I guess, if I haven’t had any alcohol, that any number is good but higher is better. My meter has 3 different readings on the same breath. They just represent different units of measurement and are fractions and multiples of each other. That might be the reason it seems inconsistent.

(Todd Allen) #6

I’ve got 3 different cheap breathalyzers and each reads differently. On my least sensitive one I only get a non-zero reading when deep in ketosis. My most sensitive one gives me a non-zero reading when just barely in ketosis, well below the 0.5 mmol/l level suggested as a minimal target for nutritional ketosis.

Despite that I find them super useful. Blood testing is too expensive for me to want use it regularly but the combination, infrequent blood tests plus frequent breathalyzer use gives me an excellent picture of my state of ketosis as I experiment with diet, exercise, fasting, etc.