Carnivores March into March :)

zerocarb

(Judy Thompson) #423

@Naghite Somebody on another thread in here suggested sous vide for heart. The 1st time I used his temp, 140, 2nd time I already had beef in the sv box at 135 so added the heart. I liked it better at the lower temp, it’s SO tender and any gamey (organ-y) taste is neutralized just by salting.
I’ll get some more heart later this week. I’ll try it your way this time :slight_smile: Now that we’ll be in VA I might order from the farmer so it will be grass finished. Plus, you get the whole heart. Grocery store in TX only has pieces. Very exciting!
The liquid is in the bag at the end. The dog loves that and also any trimmings!

I will bring photos soon (I hope they turned out informative, I don’t expect beauty… we have RAIN and wind again, little natural light… and I focused on the food making, not the photos) but I must say the scotch eggs were fun (not runny but I will work on it) and pork thigh worked wonderfully, it’s fine using a leaner cut! I used super little bacon in some, I felt it but it was just a hint…
They looked pretty impressive but released a lot of water… I will make them in an oven pan next time, not in my sylicon muffin mold (I use poor thing all the time for many various things :D).

Wow! I can’t tell how mine changed as we don’t even calculate it and well, Alvaro changed less and I am on/off carni… But we already used our money pretty well. Raw vegs are used in moderation as less is enough, the cooked vegs were cheaper and we used less from both out of season. We ate lots of pickled stuff (made by Alvaro’s Mom, we always bring several, she makes them in insane amounts :smiley: I never could do that. I mean, pickled vegs, at all. I only pickle eggs and pressure can beetroots) and the cheaper radishes (Alvaro likes the hard black one). I don’t think I went overboard with raw vegs myself. A few slices was enough. Now I eat 1-2 thin slices once in a blue moon :smiley: I like the crunch, it’s harmless… But not needed. So if we have little or it’s expensive, I just skip it, well it’s the default anyway… We started the onion leaf season just now, I have some beauties in pots :smiley: But some grow outside. Well that’s such a tiny amount that only I could consider it something but it helps out Alvaro in a pinch.

Now I am super curious if he will realize he is pretty fine without it… I hear no complains but we had some wild garlic leaves and then we opened a jar of beetroot (the juice is mine to make purple eggs, I won’t stop making them, it’s great fun)… But before this single special time (when Alvaro decided he WON’T spend more than his salary in this month) he ALWAYS had raw vegs at home and he ate it in pretty big amounts from my viewpoint. Several thick slices of daikon a day. So it’s a huge difference now.

But I have this problem with cucumber since long. When I realized it has close to nothing in it, just water. And it’s truly a super expensive item in winter. I liked the summer one but well, it’s just water + crunch + tiny green hint of flavor… And I loved gherkins… But now I have my pickled eggs.

Okay, I try not to talk a lot about vegs again, at least it’s not fruit this time :smiley: I just look at fruit buds nowadays, the garden starts to do interesting things. The daffoldils aren’t pretty in the rain but I have lots of buds ready to bloom so the rows will be prettier soon.
And the pansies don’t care and they were amazing with water droplets and I forgot to make photos! The blue-white ones are winning if it’s about the number of flowers, they have 9 and 10.

And I was stronger than a kitten at my workout today… Just a bit :wink: So my usual before my too weak last weeks except for the back where I raised the weight to 16kg ~.
By the way, the back exercises Bob linked some weeks ago worked. If I don’t forget to do them for days, I have NO PAIN! How amazing is that? And they are just a minute and easy and even feels GOOD!

Even my headache disappeared lately. Meanwhile people are complaining as the weather causes headaches and other problems. It seems I am still not sensitive to that :slight_smile:

Oh. But heart is pure muscle and a noble organ. What can be possibly not welcomed in it? I really don’t understand. But I am very used to organs as they are commonly eaten there.
(Of course just because something is common, I can be super against it. I wouldn’t eat tripe stew. Maybe I would try a bite if Alvaro’s Mom would make it. I am a super curious one, after all. But it can’t be good. It’s not meat. Animal body part that isn’t meat, that hasn’t good chances with me. I often like fat and skin but with meat.)

(Karen) #426

I bought some minced turkey and pork today and some extra eggs and decided that i will make some scotch eggs with that just as a trial run. I wonder how they would freeze, have you tried freezing them before or after cooking ?

(Edith) #427

HEY!! Where’s the April thread?

I thought I would say, 'Hi." I have gone back to work full-time and haven’t had as much time to read through the forum. I miss you guys. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yep, let’s talk about freezing boiled eggs… For some reason I would think that’s not so great but I don’t know. The meat part surely freezes well :slight_smile: And I actually wondered what if I cut up the eggs and mix it in, will that be freezable…? That would be nice…

Yeah.

I was at the consultant again today, got my bloods taken again.

He’s pleased in my progress and determination…apart form my penchant for alcohol.

He’s putting me in for a can for liver fibrous tissue; which I agreed to.
I feel really healthy, but he reckons that won’t last for ever because of the gin…despite reversing all other health problems.

I think I’m his favourite patient, he said so as much…because no other T2 listened to him lol.

Cheers sweetie!

Regards,
Ron

*scan

I was thinking this earlier, but I keep drawing a blank on a thread title.

But there is a name for it already, All Animal April!

Ahh, go for it, Shinita! Kick us off into April!

I never ever made a thread here… And I am not even carnivore!

But I brought photos.

Well… I hope you can handle my super ugly muffin mold. It does this, it’s totally impossible to clean to its original color with my skills and I made sponge cakes earlier… I do clean it sometimes but it’s not a rewarding job. Now it’s in the sink, it got super fatty.

scotcheggs

Too little depth of field… I will try again tomorrow. Sometimes I do feel the urge to do it better. Especially with such a nice target.

The empty holes were filled with egg whites with sour cream and a little dried dill. Fun stuff.
The bacon covered pork will need a little more time tomorrow.

I like! I will try something similar.

I had no internet when I made my scotch eggs but I do things my way anyway :smiley: I remembered the eggshell things, well, my eggs surely wasn’t cooperative, they never are. But I peeled them more or less nicely. Usually less but some turned out nice and still soft inside. I will practice more. I didn’t even know when I should take them out and it was a tad late…

Oh. So that’s why a pound cut into 4 was a bit too much…? I managed to cover 5 eggs with a tiny bit more than a pound! But that’s it.
For the bacon ones, I covered only 2 with half the amount… But I liked the ratio, the latter ones were thicker at some points than another though…

I will try next time! (I have some leftover “sausage” and even peeled egg so possibly tomorrow. Maybe I make even softer eggs? Though that is risky… But only their center was runny in the beginning and it just got worse. Still good, our Stefania uses hard-boiled eggs to begin with, it’s true I never liked the egg part particularly much…)
I used 180C as for very nearly everything and baked them for almost an hour as I looked at them after 30 minutes and they had to be flipped… I will use the deep oven pan next time and even pour out the water if needed. Maybe it won’t be needed, now the big balls locked the muffin molds… :smiley: Okay, okay, I am learning eventually, it was my first time and the result was enjoyable :smiley:

And this thing looks IMPRESSIVE. And big!
We only ate 4.5 (I ate 3, Alvaro 1.5), of course we ate other things and I got a bit hungry(? Peckish? Needing something else?) an hour later…
But I can’t trick my body as it can count calories, among others and has a very firm idea about what is acceptable.
1600 kcal at the very minimum. My guesstimation says I am right there (with my safe protein minimum, 120g and less fat than that :wink: It happens when I eat leaner cuts, even with extra yolks and sour cream). With my big eating window (3.5 hours, well that is actually nice for me if I start with lunch and can’t eat much)! Lean pork and eggs satiate me very well.

I surely will do it again but actually, neither of us find the prettiness soooo important and forming the balls is work (the meat was cold! and sticky. well it was fun but still took more time I imagined) so I may just do a cut-up (or normal) Stefania so I just mix in the egg pieces (less eggs) and make a big loaf. UNLESS I can manage runny yolks.
I am not a big fan of hard-boiled eggs, I rather eat my eggs in another form and eat my baked frikadeller thing more pure. The dry yolks even fell out when I cut up my scotch eggs.
But runny yolks makes everything different…
We will see. But it was an exciting experiment and I can imagine bringing scotch eggs for the family Christmas dinner. I will look up recipes, maybe there are some interesting variations. The best is using a ton of paprika, obviously, along with the other sausage spices I like… And Stefania uses garlic pieces (not mine as I forget as my frikadellers don’t have it)… But actually, why to complicate things and try to fix that is perfect as it is? Maybe a little smoked pork belly but only if it won’t rendered out. Oh of course it would. But it wasn’t dry… Just leaner than my usual food. But I like pork thigh. It tricks my fat loving, fat content checking mechanism.

I looked at supermarket meat prices… STILL the same for my pork, it’s amazing. But nothing seemed to go up spectacularly since I wasn’t looking.

Oh cost for today…? It’s good I eat this simple, it makes it easier.
Around 1100 HUF even if I count the cooking but that doubles as heating now. Good (I spent less for a more calorie rich and simpler meal yesterday but I can’t live on turkey and eggs, pork is my important staple. right behind eggs). A bit more than a third of it was my meat while it brought the third of calories and half of the protein and it’s when egg prices are still decent. Yep, I will make attempts to eat more meat. I like meat, I am just super used to focus on eggs and I actually know I can get bored of meat zillion times easier. But I need both.

That’s it from me for now.

New thread for April: All Animal April

(Judy Thompson) #438

@Shinita good for you! And that’s how I’ve been seeing scotch eggs, as a fun experiment. Yes, they’re big! I don’t know how you eat 3 of them! They would indeed be nice for Christmas. And they are still runny when preheated!

(Daisy) #439

meal one was bone broth jello (not pictured), 2 t bones and 2 slices of beef bacon. I decided to try the grill function on my ninja foodi grill. I need to tweak, I overcooked them. I was off today so I slept in and cleaned my car. Worked up an appetite so I had some suet and flank steak. Was going to have liver but got full!

I wondered about how many of yours I would need, maybe 6-8… I need bigger meals. I nearly always write “bigger” as big starts at 2000 kcal for me (even though I rarely go beyond. 2000 kcal is a very nice size, both for a day and a meal, my body loves this amount best). If my food has only 1200 kcal, it’s either not enough for me or I will get hungry again soon… It doesn’t matter how impressive or big it is and there are no magical super satiating things in my world. Meat and eggs are the best but I need much of those too. You don’t want to know how much food I need when much carbs are involved. Or added fats. Peanuts can make the calorie ball roll too (they act like carbs to a surprisingly big extent, much more than explainable with their actual carb content).
So whatever number of scotch eggs fit into 1600 kcal, I need that much if I only use them. I often can eat my daily calories at once, often even need it so yep, it’s okay for a meal.

I will make new, runny eggs tomorrow and try again :wink: But I have some almost-runny boiled eggs now (I made quite a few), I like those too and will consume them. Sometimes I should take a little break from scrambled eggs anyway. I am not bored of it yet but I will if I continue. And I make 6-egg ones now, to keep things simpler.

thanks Septimius!! All Animal April is open and ready to go…see ya’ll there :slight_smile:

(Judy Thompson) #442

Sorry to slip back into March but I think I was unclear on the sausage amounts. The 8 pieces cover 4 eggs, a little patty on both top and bottom of each egg. So we really are on the same page!