Carnivore tactical retreat

(Karim Wassef) #21

Satiation from animals requires that you select those foods that provide sufficient fat.

Are you using ghee? Are you eating enough egg yolk (duck eggs especially high)? Are you eating fatty cuts of meat (ribeye)? Are you eating fatty fish (salmon, sardines, mackerel)? Are you eating fatty sausage? Are you eating fatty ground beef (ask your butcher for 50% fat)? Are you eating fatty livers (foie gras, patee, liverwurst, cod liver)? Are you eating fish roe (caviar)? Are you eating heavy cream and high fat cheeses? Are you eating fatty pork cuts (pork belly, bacon)?

I found a great little German butchery that specialize in traditional white sausage which is mostly fatā€¦ in fact, some cultures are REALLY good at improvising the inclusion of fat into their meats and German is probably my favoriteā€¦ the Nordics do a good job of this too.

If you feel the need to augment with some fatty veggies like avocado, macadamia, extra virgin olive oil, EVOO mayoā€¦ thatā€™s a personal choice and every body is different. I will say that the modern food environment has been so averse to fat, and especially animal fat, that traditional fatty animals meats take a little more effort these days. It doesnā€™t change their intrinsic health benefits and substantial impact on metabolic balance.

(charlie3) #22

My impression is rendering is simply melting down the fat with heat then letting it harden again. Is there important changes that happen to the fat by doing this? My plan was to either add the fat to beef I grind at home or put it in the fry pan instead of some other fat.

Iā€™m learning to fry ground chuck very lean. More of the juices stay in the meat and it tastes better. Eating raw meat is intriguing but Iā€™m not ready for that for some reason. In the mean time if I buy chuck already ground itā€™s leaner than I want. Iā€™m going to own a capable meat grinder but not until Iā€™ve got reliable sources for the products to use with it and may be including more knowledge.

(Karim Wassef) #23

(Karim Wassef) #24

(charlie3) #25

$3.50 per pound for ground chuck. $4.50 per pound for the fat?

(Karim Wassef) #26

Fat is valuable! Itā€™s protective and reduces disease.

Not saying this is the only option, but itā€™s convenient.

(Chris) #27

The suet I picked up this week was $2.25/lb but I know the source (as itā€™s local) and thereā€™s no shipping fee.

Also read the 1 star reviews on Amazon for those products, not much quality control. Obviously reviews can be faked or paid, so a grain of salt is needed.

(Karim Wassef) #28

Itā€™s 4/5 overall so ā€¦ grain of salt both good and bad :slight_smile:

https://grasslandbeef.com/beef-tallow-5-gallon-bucket-ships-separately

Butcher box is another source thatā€™s supposed to be high quality but I havenā€™t had to use them yet

(charlie3) #29

So Iā€™ve read up some about rendering. Thatā€™s done to remove the water to increase the shelf life. My plan is to add the fat into the grind, make patties and freeze. Rendered fat is not the right product for that. So either I need to figure out a cut of beef to buy that already has the right amount of fat (and costs about the same as ground chuck) or I need to find a butcher willing to sell me tallow.

But may be there is a regulation about selling tallow vs rendered because of a spoilage issue? Most of the meat grinder demos Iā€™ve watched on youtube show people grinding what they hunted.

I prefer ground chuck for the taste. Is there another fattier cut that would cost the same and taste as good?

(Chris) #30

Rendering is just melting the fat into tallow. Throw a pile of suet in the slow cooker on low and let it go until itā€™s liquid. Strain through cheesecloth and go nuts.

(charlie3) #31

But I have no need for rendered fat. I need fat to add to meat for putting through my own grinder. So far two butchers wonā€™t sell to me so itā€™s extremely likely I wonā€™t be buying from them. Sooner or later Iā€™ll find a butcher who will sell to me and thatā€™s where Iā€™ll also buy meat. Iā€™m sure it will keep just fine in the freezer without rendering, same as meat.

Again, may be there is some other cut with more fat and equal taste and I should find out what that is and shop for it.

(Chris) #32

You said you wanted tallow, thatā€™s rendered fat. Only reason Iā€™m offering that advice. Adding it to GB raw would result in texture issues Iā€™m sure you wouldnā€™t enjoy.

(charlie3) #33

Then I misspoke because I donā€™t know all the terminology. I want trimmings Iā€™ll put through the meat grinder, the same thing the butchers do.

(Chris) #34

Gotcha. The unrendered suet should work, in that case. Iā€™m seeing it posted online as a go-to source for mixing with venison for burgers.

Ya know . . . pastured eggs might be a better fat source than just more fat in the ground meat. Tallow wont work because itā€™s too liquid when hot and just runs out of the meat but egg yokes solidify. They donā€™t shrink as much with the egg in it either. I eating one like that as I type. Best ground beef Ive had in a while. If you using a pan instead if a BBQ grill you can cook them in tallowā€¦

I see (now that I read further) that you were not talking about tallow . . . What town do you live in that wont sell fat if they have it? Some (like Costco) just donā€™t have any.

(bulkbiker) #36

Did you ask the butcher for tallow or fat? If you asked for tallow then Iā€™m not surprised they wonā€™t/donā€™t sell it.

(charlie3) #37

They both knew what I was talking about. Their answer were very similar so thereā€™s something I donā€™t understand yet.

One way or another I want 70% lean ground chuck or equivelent and preferably I want to grind it at home to that spec. This does not seem like rocket science.

(bulkbiker) #38

Weird thenā€¦maybe theyā€™ve secretly gone carnivore and want it all for themselves?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Stefansson and his wife retired to a village in either New Hampshire or Vermont, and he apparently told people that he was lucky most people were afraid of fat, because he could get all the fat he wanted from the local butcher, practically for free.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #40

This is our preferred cut for grinding. Our grocery (Wegmans) has two of them sealed separately in bags and we can see the fat marble. we find the one with the most fat. We single grind for just ground beef and double grind for burgers.