Carnivore and spironolactone

(Shiloh Lu) #1

I have been doing keto for years and canivore off and on for the last year bc it’s better for my IBS than keto.

I recently found my testosterone is a bit high for a woman (was in past too but got re-tested) and its causing hormonal issues so to correct it I’m on spironolactone an androgen hormone blocker.

My concern: it’s a heavy hitting potassium sparing diuretic so on top of carnivore my sodium and mag will need to be minded as I do have double chances of them being low.

The concern is with potassium… for normies its advised to avoid potassium foods and supplements when on spironolactone as you can actually OD and die. Risk is low with like a bit of avocado (which is something I still eat even with carnivore for the potassium) but I’m afraid to do more like electrolyte drinks, etc. I am getting telltale electrolyte balance issues like pins in hands and feet and calf soreness that I’m afraid will turn into cramp.

I will def ask my doctor but I don’t know if he will know the answer bc I’m sure he will know answers for people eating “normal”. Anyone have experience with this or has medical background with carnivore? Anyone with experience being on spiro while doing very low carb eating? I didnt have quite the same problem with keto as a few years back I was on spiro during keto. I was off of the spironolactone for a couple years but the manliness in me is coming out too much so I have to go back on… lol I’m manly

(Karen) #2

I have been doing low-carb and sometimes keto for big blocks of time. I am on spironolactone also. I don’t seem to have any issues. Keep in mind I am more likely to be low-carb and not carnivore.

I use some lite salt sometimes. I take spironolactone because I retain water in my ankles, and have some kidney issues