Caramel Sauce - Help Needed

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #1

So, I found a recipe for caramel sauce.
It turned out pretty good - taste and consistency.
However, it’s not really caramel flavored, more butterscotch. Also the color was much paler than in the picture. Any advice on what changes to make so that it tastes more like caramel? My instinct was to add some caramel extract. I used Brown Swerve instead of the molasses.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

She mentions allulose not burning the same as sugar but that’s the best alternative caramelizing sweetener I know of. @Wahinewanders posted some delicious looking caramels she makes with it. Allulose would be what I would try and substitute. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

I was using the xylitol.
I may have to get some allulose.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Here’s Brandy’s caramel thread. Hoosier Hill Farms on Amazon is the best deal I’ve seen on allulose. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

I’ll look into it. I’m more interested in something for a sauce, than for a chewy candy

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I was thinking for her description of caramelizing the allulose and diluting it while it was hot so you get a sauce. I would think some cream and water maybe? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

I’ll have to experiment

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

I changed the recipe a bit (1/2 xylitol and 1/2 brown swerve), and added some vanilla extract. It seems to be a bit more caramel-y in smell/taste… still not that rich brown (like brown swerve/sugar).

(Denisa Alexandra Cinca) #9

Actually, even caramel sauce made with brown sugar is called butterscotch. Some people consider that only caramel made with white sugar is true caramel sauce. Thus, I’m not surprised that it turned out looking more like butterscotch since you used Brown Swerve, which is a replacement for brown sugar and not white sugar.
My original recipe for caramel sauce was 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1/4 cup heavy cream. https://substitutionpicks.com/substitute-for-caramel-extract/ I haven’t made it in a very long time since I’m not into sweets at the moment but I remember that the trick was to let it get darker without getting it burned in order to obtain that true caramel taste. I think you should watch some videos to see how long it should be left on the stovetop and how to get it to have a darker color.