Can't keep up with 50g proteins a day

protein

I have a problem eating all the proteins recommended.
As at 20 yo my weight was around 50 kg, for a height of 1.70m, I take this to be the number for my lean body mass (or should I have a doxa test?), and I aim to eat 50 g of proteins a day, which isn’t much but I am used to eat way way less proteins. Maybe this was a reason why I got so off-balance, don’t know.

Could I lower that amount? by how much? the problem is that eating 25g of proteins a meal satiates me so much that then I don’t have desire for fats (my metabolism must be really deranged). I am used to european sizing, which is much smaller than american sizing of meals. I wish I had also a european sizing of my belly grr…

I am at a point in the 2ketodudes podcast where they talk of the protein rate controversy, did he get solved? could I have say, 0.60g/kg of LBM or is that crazy? or should I try to get that value to the 1g/kg of LBM?
I am a woman and sedentary, because of joint pain and just too much weight to carry for my small frame.

I guess the difficulty is that I detest steaks, I am used to eat meat asian style, mixed up with vegetables. That or I like chicken thighs, but in small quantity, more is nauseating. I love eggs but, can I eat 180 g of eggs every day (4 small eggs, in france they’re usually quite small)?

In the same way also my 13 yo son, who’s very tall and lean and fit, would have a hard time keeping up with 50g a day of proteins, which is the value I found on the net for his age and weight. He doesn’t eat so much, his friends don’t eat too much either. Here they don’t tend to eat crap, they just don’t care so much about eating and are usually very slender and fit. So I don’t know if I should force him to change things and eat more proteins too.

Most important is keeping carbs low. I recently read that enough protein is more important than fat if fat loss is your main goal. Especially if you’re overweight as your stored fat is considered. Maybe someone else will chime in. If you’re not hungry, I wouldn’t try to force feed yourself! :slight_smile:

That makes sense, because I am already adapted. Forgot to say that.

There are tons of protein supplements on the market. Usually not something we reccomend, because while foods is better and all that. If you can’t stomach more meat though, a protein shake with some fat added in will help. Especially with your son, if your worried he’s not getting enough

I’m not knowledgeable on exactly what range you guys should be in. One serving of most supplements is usually around 24g of protein so would say one/day would be more than enough to give you a boost if you need it.

Also, obviously watch out for hidden carbs and bad sweeteners and all that stuff. Unflavored powder may be your best bet. I haven’t shopped for one in a while.

It would be a wonderful idea, I read whey protein wasn’t good, don’t remember for which reason. Anyone has a suggestion?

(Allie) #6

Whey isn’t advised as it can cause an insulin reaction in some people. Personally though I use it without issue as I always add a good amount of healthy fat (normally at least 40ml of olive oil or avocado oil) and blend them together.

(Cindy) #7

I’m the same size and weight as you, Margot, and I can’t eat much meat either. I eat 2-3 oz of meat for my main meal, usually mixed in with veggies. I eat 1-2 oz of cheese another meal. I get the rest of my protein in nuts, like sunflower seeds, which I sprinkle on salads, veggies, etc. I used to count my protein, but I haven’t for a long time, so I’m not sure how much this is, but it’s somewhere from 50-60 grams I think.

(Joy) #8

If you are sedentary, you probably don’t have much muscle mass. Women, especially as we age, must retain or add muscle to maintain bone strength and balance. If you get too little protein, you may find yourself becoming increasingly frail over time, so it’s good you’re exploring getting adequate protein.

I like the sprinkling-something idea, I would like to find another ingredient, although I LOVE sunflower seeds. I just looked up the nutrients of sunflower seeds and they seem to contain as many carbs as proteins, if I am not mistaken, kind of 20% each. So just to add, say, 10-20g of proteins, I would have to deal with 10-20g of undesired carbs. There wouldn’t be much space for.vegetables as I want to stay very firmly under 20g of carbs a day.

So for example today at 12 I had 35 g of proteins in form of 4 small scrambled eggs and 2 slices of raw ham, and now at 8 pm I wanted to eat something before I begin my 36-42 h fast (alternate day fast). But I was not hungry! I had some sardines but I don’t like the idea of eating when not hungry.

(Raj Seth) #11

That there is the magic mantra. Fung’s trinity:
Eat when hungry
Eat till full/satiated
DON’T eat when NOT hungry.

You said you were already adapted - so trust your body - don’t outguess it by what someone puts on the web.

BTW, if you were 50kg lean - that was probably at 25% body fat per typical femaie body ratio. so your LBM is 37.5Kg. The protein range was found to be 0.6 - 0.8, with much room for variation. That would translate to 30-50gm protein. If you go over/under a few days, you will not immediately die a horrible death. If you are running low, you will receive an appropriate demand from your body in the form of a craving that you cannot ignore for long.

Ah wow that 30 number! I like it!
I don’t understand the calculation, if the real lean body mass is 37,5 kg and not 50 kg, and instead of 1 g/ kg LBM I can apply a coefficient of 0.6-0.8 wouldn’t that give me 22.5-30 g of proteins per day?

(Raj Seth) #13

it is not an exact science - though ‘they’ would like you to think that. If you eat your fat from real food, and are not chewing butter and drinking olive oil, if you eat enough, you will get enough.
Just be a carb NAZI

well, you can chew some butter, and drink some olive oil shots - but you know… :grinning:

(Terence Dean) #14

Margot, you may wish to read up on why protein is important, why we need a certain amount on a daily basis.

I keep this link as a great reference:

How Much Protein Do You Need In Nutritional Ketosis?

(karen) #15

bacon bits?

Thank you for the link, it was a good read. In the tab, for my height it was suggested I stay between 30 and 50 g. like Rajset said.

Bone broth is an easy way to consume protein and offers additional benefits from collagen.

I am so glad you wrote this post. When i first read your post I thought you might have an eating disorder because 50 grams of protein isn’t much. It wasn’t until later in the day that I realised I’m an idiot–I’ve said this before but have proof now.–I’ve been weighing protein food sources instead of the actual protein in the food source. For example, I’d eat a 50 grams of tuna thinking that was my protein for the day. Nope, I was eating 15 grams. I thought I was overeating protein because I’d usually have some cheese and some nuts during the day, it’s a relief to know that I’m probably eating just the right amount.

The only advice I can give you to ease the protein barrier is parmesan cheese, it has 32 grams of protein per 100 grams, coat your salads, even if you used half that’s 16 grams and it’s delicious. Also liver, 50 grams of liver yields 26 grams of protein, that’s literally 3 tablespoons, also delicious.