Can't handle diarrhea, bloating and hunger

newbies

(Vivi) #1

Hey Guys,

I’ve been doing keto since 11 weeks. I started out with <50g of carbs for the first four weeks and got into ketosis. Unfortunately hunger came back, due to an oldies advice I cut carbs down to <30g. That help very well, but just for another two or three weeks and hunger increased and a feeling of bloating was added. So since a bit more then two weeks I limited net carbs with less then 20g and cut down my protein intake to max.90g. Last week I could fast again naturally for about 20h, but every first meal was undigested and diarrhea hit me quiet hard. Subsequently, I felt really sluggish, I drank a lot of water, liked salt to balance my electrolytes and took supplements of magnesium and potassium. Yesterday I slowly started to eat with small portions, so I could avoid diarrhea but I felt really bloated again and hungry. It’s like a black whole no matter how much fat I ate I haven’t felt any satiety and was more and more bloated… I reduced coconut oil and butter but that was as well a temporary help.
To sum up: with every lowering of carbs my satiety improved for a period of time but I had always diarrhea in the beginning, by following increased hunger and bloating.

Through these weeks I was really strict with my meals I never cheated expect of today… I’m at the end of my wisdom… Really looking forward for your advice!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #2

any foods you are eating more of than you did before?
What fats do you eat? maybe increase fats more slowly?

Could you give us some meal examples?

(Vivi) #3

Before I started Keto I did paleo for three months but since many years I always ate plant based but did the classical low fat.

I eat a lot of lettuce, champignons, spinach, cucumbers, olives, sometime tomatoes.

As fat I use mainly olive oil, beside that a bit of canola, flaxseed, or pumpkin seed oil and butter, ghee and coconut oil.

My protein source consists out of turkey, beef, eggs, cheese, tuna and sometimes bacon.

Additionally I eat often a handful (30-60g) of nuts, like walnuts, macadamia and pecans.

I never use any sweetener and try to avoid artificial food.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #4

Maybe not the best choice? Canola especially can be very inflamatory.
I also had to cut out nuts for quite some time, and even now i will only have them occasionally.

Might also be that your body has to get used to produce more enzymes to digest the protein and fat you were not getting from eating mainly plant based?
I had to start increasing the fat slowly until my body got used to it.

And what form of magnesium are you taking?

(Vivi) #5

I use cold pressed canola. I heard it has a lot of omega 3 so as flaxseed. But from the last I limit the use by two tablespoons per day.
Thanks for the hint, I try to eat less of canola oil.

I have to specificate myself about my former diet, it was a typicall high protein and plant based diet with low fat.

Perhaps my gut bacterias dont get enough fiber?

For me it’s quiet hard to avoid nuts, I often crave for them, and I think it’s at least one of the foods that soak up water?

I take 400mg magensium and 300mg potassium tablets. It’s a citrate.

How did you slowly increase fats? Did you cycle carbs or ate more protein?

It’s really frustrating, the first four weeks were really great, I had all the positiv effects! Now it’s just hard to stick with the diet if it’s conducting your life in a negative way…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Seed oils are discouraged in general. I use sesame oil in my cooking in tiny quantities, like less than 1 tsp a day. I would also encourage you to add probiotic fermented veggies into your diet. Expensive if you buy fresh stuff from a health food store and extremely inexpensive to and fun to make yourself. Search this site and google to get started. Add it gradually to see how your gut will tolerate it. Some people have to start adding it and slowly eating more till your digestive system gets used to it. But I think after a short time you might find improvement. One of my recent batches:

(Vivi) #7

Thanks for the tip. I’ll will give it a try!

What are the main benefits? How does it improve digestion?

(Carl Keller) #8

Dr. Phinney says:
There are three common errors made with a poorly-formulated low carbohydrate diet that can cause stomach and intestinal upset and diarrhea: sugar alcohols, too much protein, and the wrong source of dietary fats.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/fix-diarrhea-keto/

Canola is a terrible oil for various reasons. Google “canola is bad” and you will find a lot of information and be careful of articles/studies sponsored by canola companies.

Thomas Delauer highly recommends bone broth after fasting to help restore the gut and make foods easier to digest, especially after fasting. Some people take probiotics to help the process… also fermented foods and omega3’s are good for a healthy gut.

I do hope the suggestions here in the thread are helpful to you.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Fermentation further reduces the carbs or sugar in veggies. It also preserves them, increases nutritional value and absorption of those nutrients. Probiotic cultures are bacteria that help your body function optimally. Digestion rate will accelerate and become more efficient. Gastrointestinal issues like acid reflux, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome and Crones Disease can greatly improve or be cured. If your digestion is moving efficiently you will lose weight faster and easier feeling less bogged down by your overworking digestive system. I’m sure that there’s more too it, I’m no expert but it’s fun todo and it’s making me feel good.

(Vivi) #10

I’m glad for your help! Today I’ll be right on track! Hope for improvement!

(Gargi Mitra Keeling) #11

My batch was a FAIL and it’s stinking up the fridge. I have a cheese cloth covering the cabbage/salt blend but it’s not reducing down and just dry and stinky. sigh.