Can't get my ketones up!

(CK) #21

ooops… do you mean that it’s advisable not to take any diary products including cheese at the beginning stage?

(Ellie) #22

Dairy is fine as long as you don’t have an intolerance. Just make sure you count the carbs that are in it. They’re not high, but it is easy to eat a lot of cheese and cream so they can add up.

(bulkbiker) #23

Not at all… I eat quite a bit of cheese as well as my cream in coffee. That was 20ml per mug rather than per day sorry I wasn’t very clear.

(CK) #24

I’m so happy!!! so worried that you’ll say try to consume less cream :smile:
Thanks all!

(Ellie) #25

Nooooooo, cream is your friend!!

(CK) #26

:heart_eyes:

(Nakihashi) #27

So I’ve done some experimenting. Yesterday, I skipped breakfast and went all the way to lunch, around 11:45am, having no food for around 16 hours. My ketone upon waking were somehow zero. I tested before I ate lunch, and I got 0.3. About 1 hour after lunch, which consisted of the sardines, nuts, sugar free jello-o, the Celsius caffeine drink, a spoonful of coconut oil (I’m just eating it out of the jar at this point), and a protein shake (mentioned in my first post), I tested at 0.7. After I got home from work, I tested before dinner and got 0.7 again, and 1 hour after indulging in some delicious home made chicken wings deep fried in peanut oil with my custom buffalo ranch sauce and a hearty helping of more sugar-free jell-o, I got 0.9. It would seem that keto foods and all of my artificial sweeteners did not seem to negatively affect my ketones for this day. I plan on testing them individually with blood glucose test strips to see if any of them spike my insulin. The fasting also did not seem to affect anything, since my ketones steadily increase as I consumed more food (granted, it was a very short fast - I plan to do a longer fast this weekend, followed by a colon cleanse; I will post my results later next week).

Today, my ketones were 0.6 for the whole day, upon waking, before and after breakfast and lunch (same lunch, and for breakfast I managed to have time to scramble 2 eggs with some shredded cheese, around 3-4g carbs total). I’ve consumed all of the same artificial sweeteners, as well (stevia, erythritol and aspartame). I’ve not eaten dinner yet, but I expect my ketones to be around the same after the fact. I will post some more results soon.

So my next big venture is my 3 day fast with a colon cleanse (I do one once a year), and after that I will test to see if there are any insulin effects on the artificial sweeteners.

Thank you all for your insight, I’m thrilled that I was able to attract so many other keto dieters to my post. =)

More results soon!

(CK) #28

How’s it? have you tested it?

(Nakihashi) #29

So far my results are inconclusive. After 3 days of fasting and a full colon cleanse, my weight is unchanged. My ketones, however, have risen marginally by a few decimals. I was getting between 0.6 and 1.1, and now I’m getting 0.7 to 1.8, which is still better, but still not quite where I want to be for weight loss. Again, at the end of the day, I’m looking to drop more pounds.

I have some more experiments I may try; if I can find a safe place to swim, I may try a good hour of swimming several days per week (I heard that swimming is excellent calorie burning exercise) . My other idea is to replace breakfast and lunch with a hearty helping of coconut oil and vitamins, and then have a small meat-based meal for dinner.

I will post more results soon.

(Jane) #30

For the 3 days of fasting - did you drink anything else besides water?

(john) #31

Nakihashi keto is high fat medium, protein, and low carb to loose weight. starting out you can do all the fat in your meals. but there comes a point in your weight lose that there is going to be a stall. this is where your body needs to be burning your body fat as keto’s instead of the fat that you are eating. you are in a neutral battle between the fat going in and the fat on your body that will be used as fuel. so if you want to get you keto’s up eat less fat so your body pulls the fat from the body to burn. so the ratio from fat will still be the same because the fat that you DO NOT EAT will be pulled from the body fat. also every time you eat you rise your insulin and then you stop your weight loss until it goes down. so if you eat between meals (snacks) you stop weight loss. try to fast for 18 hours and eat 2 meals in the 6 hour window. YOU CAN DO IT!! also the artificial sweeteners tricks your brain that you are hungry. and most people loss that battle and eat again after only a couple of hours after eating. also dr. fung says that the brain gets a sweet signal and thinks that the pancreas did not get the signal and tells it to release insulin. so that is your choice to use it or not but for me I am doing this to lose weight and the artificial sweetener is just the substitute of the thing that got me into this mess in the first place, so I keep away from it. THE BEST PROTIEN IS FROM MEAT (REAL FOOD) NOT IN SHAKES. you also save money also. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND YOUR START BACK DOWN THE WEIGHT LOSE TRAIL. GOOD LUCK

(Bunny) #32

Wondering what you are using to measure ketones, you maybe fat adapted and the pee sticks will not work anymore, does not sound like your a novice at this and you should expect to see low ketones (real low) when you are using a blood ketone meter? If your seeing high ketone numbers using a blood meter, then your not fat adapted?

I see your doing the turkey bacon thing (priceless…lol), and that tells me you might not be eating enough fat If weight loss is your goal? …and eating too much fat will also result in no weight loss? Eating too much protein will also result in no weight loss? Balancing the amount of protein (3 or 4.oz. per meal) and fat is really important when trying to lose weight? …And sugar (not counting the sugar in that peanut butter per serving?) intake, especially in any kind of protein shake?

Another thing is that you just don’t use glycogen (sugar) stores for energy/fuel, you also use glucose (sugar) converted from meat (amino acids) if your brain and liver decides you need it?

Be mindful of the sugar, sugar will kick you out of keto faster than you can blink your eye! So really pay attention to the amount of sugar in anything you eat it, much worse than carbs when trying to maintain Ketosis? A rough non-conservative guestimate would be any thing over 4 or 5 grams of sugar (per serving or per meal)? Another tip; counting calories or using a body weight scale will drive you insane?