Can't digest "liquid" fat - neither animal nor vegetable

(Carl Keller) #9

I would just keep sticking to the foods that you digested properly. Your body seems to like real food, especially when it’s meat. Maybe eating this way for a while will improve your gut microbiome and you can try introducing new things later.

(Marcin Wadolowski) #10

Thank you for all the replies, I’ll try to combine my answers here.
I dont really know If I have low acid levels in my stomach, never asked doctor about it, they never helped me so I just stopped believing in them. I also dont really want to take any more suplements- they dont help me either, I started this diet to find alternative way than popping pills.
If I eat something that I can not digest- liquid fat/ even macadamias, I have to go to the bathroom in around an hour, and yes, I do experience “dump” effect.
As someone mentioned above, I think I will stick to fatty steaks, eggs and bacon for a while to see if my body would heal this way.
The only issue is that I feel lightheaded by eating this way, maybe because of the reason that protein is the main energy source, which it really shouldn’t?

(Carl Keller) #11

Make sure you are getting enough sodium. When we restrict carbs it drives insulin production lower and both of those factors lead to an increase of sodium we are losing. Most keto side effects are a result of not compensating for that lost sodium. I know when I don’t get enough, I tend to become light headed too.

Two+ teaspoons of sodium over the course of your day is a good starting point.

(Marcin Wadolowski) #12

You may be right with the salt, I’m lightheaded after breakfast and lunch where I use no salt, but I dont experience that at the dinner when I’m having my heavily salted steak. Will give it a try!

You should try digestive enzymes, or specifically lipase.

I have problems digesting fats. A little over a week ago, I bought a good enzyme mix high in lipase, and I can finally just eat, no running to the bathroom to expel stinky liquids. I also experience getting more energy from food, and I can suddenly want to eat more fats which I couldn’t handle before.

If you have immune disorders, bone broth could actually be somewhat bad, as it can get rather high in histamine. I only recently found out that any broth that becomes jelly when it cools down, is not very good for me (never really liked aspic, so haven’t ever eaten or drunk much before). So I’ll have to be careful with what kind of bones I use.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Protein itself is not an efficient energy source. You need either fat or carbohydrates for energy. Protein is just a bunch of amino acids mostly and are building blocks for replacing and maintaining body tissues but there’s very little energy to burn in lean protein. This is why fatty meat cuts are recommended for a ketogenic diet.

You should be consuming salt with all your meals. @CarlKeller is definitely correct on the salt. Salt is also a building block for stomach acid and necessary for good digestive health. Your body doesn’t hold onto sodium or water the same as when you’re eating carbs. Sodium is flushed more rapidly so salt consumption throughout the day will help with stability of sodium levels. Try keto aid if you’re still having problems after salting all your meals. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Chris) #15

You shouldn’t need digestive enzymes. Give your body time to get used to its job. It knows what to do.

(Jeff Gilbertson) #16

Your advice is spot on, @CarlKeller.

Eat the foods that you’re body is digesting, and salt your food.

I would just add, that steak and eggs is still a high fat diet:

12oz Ribeye: 69g fat, 63g protein
3 eggs: 12g fat, 18g protein

Total: 81g fat, 81g protein

81g fat = 729 calories
81g protein = 324 calories
Total: 1053 calories

729 / 1053 = 69% fat
324 / 1053 = 31% protein

Perfect.

How much time?

(mole person) #18

Not for everyone. I feel awful at this ratio. 28% is a hard upper limit for me and I feel my best between 18-20% protein.

(Chris) #19

Can take weeks, possibly some months to heal that.

I waited 3 months before I gave up. It was causing dehydration, red eyes, likely also some malnutrition. When I have the enzymes, I don’t feel nauseous eating animal fat, and I don’t get cod liver oil burps for hours after taking it. My eyes also start watering after I eat, if I take the enzymes. I could try again in another month on enzymes, just to see if my body is willing to learn. It’s not like I want to keep taking enzymes, but eating got too difficult.

(Marcin Wadolowski) #21

You said before that you also have issues with liquid fat, how do you bump your calories then? Do you use bone marrow? Animal fat cuts?

(Chris) #22

Raw marrow, raw suet, and undercooked steaks primarily.

Diarrhea from too much rendered fat is a very common problem on carnivore. Our ancestors would not have eaten much, as the rendered fat would drip into the fire. Some people don’t have issues with it, but many do. It was a problem for me, especially when I first went carnivore. Now a days I find I can tolerate quite a bit. I’ve also found emulsifying it helps. I’ll cook a pound of 73/27 ground beef, then mix the drippings with half a pound of cream cheese. I “mix” it as best I can, then add one egg yolk. I alternate mixing and 15 second bursts in the microwave until it emulsifies into a thick rich beefy sauce. Let’s me get in plenty of fat in one sitting with zero digestive issues.

(Marcin Wadolowski) #24

Knowing that I’m not the only one having that issue is a bit uplifting. I’ll give ghee a last shot by mixing it with eggs and frying with meat. If not I’ll just go with only meat and test marrow/ raw fat as dread mentioned.
Thanks!

(CharleyD) #25

Welcome aboard @Marcin_Wadolowski !

The biggest clue to your answer was that you had normal digestion with real whole food like steak and eggs.

Remember there’s still plenty of fat in steak, don’t just assume that because you see muscle that it’s all just proteins!

Mind your water intake and try to not drink a bit (think 30 minutes) before, during or after meals. That should help keep stomach acid undiluted.

Adding digestive enzymes or bile salts shouldn’t be seen in the same light as taking a medication like a proton pump inhibitor. One works with your body to help you do what you’re designed to do, the other hurts your body to try to cover up a symptom.

If you supplement salt, be sure to add it to solid food. Don’t just drink salt water. Ask me how I know. :joy:

(mole person) #26

If you don’t like raw fat then a sous vide might do the trick for you. My husband balks at the taste and smell of rendered fat and this posed quite a problem to my keto cooking as a lot of the more reasonably priced fatty cuts are also tough and required long cooking times to tenderize the meat. Unfortunately, that longer cooking also renders fat with all traditional cooking methods. However, the sous vide works on a completely different principal and you can have tougher cuts not only end as tender as the most delectable cuts but still be rare and have all of the fat in an unrendered state. Further even the toughest connective tissues are left tender and allows you to eat a very healthy part of the animal that is generally left for the bin.

(Bunny) #27

May want to look into more Lipase rich foods that have digestive enzymes for digesting fats i.e. Lipases[5][6]…

I think the core root of your problem is a leaky gut (bone broth might seal up the leaky gut?), secondly this lead below might be one of many other factors (histamine and auto-immunity conditions) leading to your digestion, allergy and joint pain issues:

Glutamic Acid Sensitivity:

Glutamic acid is an amino acid found in both plant and animal protein sources. The body also makes glutamic acid. The most common form in the body is called glutamate. This amino acid is extremely important and acts as a chemical messenger (neurotransmitter) which excites our cells by communicating instructions for brain growth, memory, and learning. Thinking of glutamate as a stimulant helps us to understand why an overabundance of it causes symptoms of increased heart rate, flushing, and feeling wired but tired.

Most of the glutamate that we eat is bound to a protein, like chicken, which is generally easy to digest and is absorbed slowly. However, there are some foods that contain free glutamate (not bound to a protein) which is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream.

Foods that naturally contain free glutamate include:

• Bone broth
  • Meat cooked over moist heat for long periods of time
  • Cured meats: bacon, ham
  • Matured cheeses: Parmesan, Roquefort
  • Fish sauce, soy sauce, soy protein
  • Mushrooms
  • Ripe tomatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Peas
  • Walnuts
  • Grape juice (wine)
  • Malted barley (used to make beer)
  • Wheat gluten
  • Dairy casein (milk protein)
  • Man-made MSG

Notice that all MSG is man-made, and that’s often the problem. The other foods contained in the above list occur in nature. Most people eating moderate amounts of these foods would feel fine. But, in today’s world, man-made MSG can tip the scales, so to speak. Although research is mixed about the potential long-term effects of MSG, studies have found it to induce symptoms as common as headaches and as complex as hormone disruption.[1] [2]

If a person’s diet contains more MSG and, therefore, more free glutamate in their body, it may be difficult for them to tolerate the naturally-occurring forms of free glutamate found in other foods because their system is overloaded. …More

References:

[1] “…You’re stimulating all of the glutamate receptors. That’s why some people get explosive diarrhea, because it stimulates the…” …More

[2] ”…Note: Glutamate is interchangeable with glutamic acid, but it is chemically distinct from glutamine. The distinction is that glutamate has a hydroxyl (-OH) group, whereas glutamine has an ammonia (-NH3) group, as shown in the picture below. Read this post to learn more about glutamine. …”…More

[3] Beyond MSG: Could Hidden Sources of Glutamate Be Harming Your Health?

[4] “…The label effectively “grandfathered in” the additives so they could bypass premarket approval by the FDA (i.e., safety testing). Secondly, the video states that free glutamate occurs naturally in some foods. This is true; however, it does not mean that MSG is safe for everyone. People who are sensitive to MSG must also avoid foods with high amounts of naturally occurring free glutamate, such as soy sauce and Parmesan cheese. …” …More

[5] “…There are three main types of digestive enzymes:

• Proteases: Break down protein into small peptides and amino acids
  • Lipases: Break down fat into three fatty acids plus a glycerol molecule
  • Amylases: Break down carbs like starch into simple sugars

Enzymes are also made in the small intestine, including lactase, maltase and sucrase.

If the body is unable to make enough digestive enzymes, food molecules cannot be digested properly. This can lead to digestive disorders like lactose intolerance. …” …More

[6] Lipase: the Digestive Enzyme that Fights Major Diseases

(Bunny) #28

One other thing to be aware of[1]:

What do I do if I get diarrhea on a ketogenic diet?

2. Are you eating low carb, LOW FAT, and high protein? Too much protein can lead to diarrhea.

Remember, a well-formulated ketogenic diet is low carb, high fat, and moderate protein. When cutting carbs, it can be tempting to increase your protein without increasing your fat, but the resulting high protein diet can lead to diarrhea (Speth, 1983). It is important to keep protein at about 10-20% of your daily energy need[1] and add ‘good fat’ for satiety[1]. More on what constitutes ‘good fats’ below. Read more on how much protein you need on a ketogenic diet

Are you choosing the right sources of dietary fat? Some oils can cause diarrhea:

While a little bit of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fats are required from our diet, more is not better. In particular, our digestive systems have a limited tolerance for vegetable and seed oils high in omega-6 fats . Early in our human research, we found out that feeding our patients a high fat diet made with soybean, corn, safflower, or sunflower oils promptly made them feel nauseated and caused diarrhea . Given that a well-formulated ketogenic diet eaten to maintain body weight provides 70-80%[1] of one’s daily energy[1] intake as fat[1], the majority of this fat intake needs to come from MONO-UNSATURATED and SATURATED sources such as olive oil, high oliec versions of safflower and sunflower, coconut oil, lard, butter, cream, and high fat cheese . …More

Here are some fats and oils that we recommend:

Footnotes:

[1] 70% calories of dietary fat does not equal 70% volume