Cannabis, Insulin and Weight Loss

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

Hey Ketonians :cowboy_hat_face:

I am a cannabis user. I have been for 48 years. Sometimes more, sometimes less and a five year period of none. I have had energy burn out recently and wondered if the amount that I use could be an issue slowing down my BMR. I did a search and found a couple of interesting things. I have more to read but I thought I should start this thread. I hope itā€™s interesting to some of you.

Personally I used to get the cliche ā€œmunchiesā€ sometimes when I used marijuana but I noticed after carb withdrawal it never happens anymore. From the second article, ā€œEssentially what may be happening is this: Marijuana will generally promote appetite and binge eating when first using marijuana. Eventually, it has the opposite effect the cannabinoid receptors in your brain become desensitized or trained.ā€

This one is about the endocannabinoid system and the reason there are claims that cannabis is helpful for so many medical problems. I think many claim the ā€œmedicinal claimsā€ about cannabis are purely based on people wanting a drug legalised but cannabinoids are produced in our own bodies and are a key part of many bodily processes including the production of arachidonic acid, an important EFA that makes up a large percentage of brain tissue.

Some interesting stuff @David_Stilley. I never got the munchies when i smoked weed but I did really crave fizzy water. Given I suffer from migraines itā€™s possible that Iā€™ve got some screwy endocannabinoid receptors or somesuch :thinking:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #3

My so is an award winning grower for a local company. Iā€™m going to see him next week and Iā€™ll try to remember to ask him if he knows anything about all this.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I know I shouldnā€™t finish other peopleā€™s sentences. :joy::joy::rofl::rofl::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Iā€™ve smoked weed on and off for 40 years. During my last 5 year fitness flip, I smoked every day, plus ate a bunch of edibles.
Iā€™d smoke some weed, then lift weightsā€¦ Then smoke some more, then climb a mountain.

It never made me lazy. And as far as the munchies go, I was constantly ravenously hungry all the time anyway when I was doing basically the Paleo diet. But it didnā€™t make me eat anything that wasnā€™t on my list of foods that I was eating at the time.

Havenā€™t taken a single hit in the last 3 years thoughā€¦ Only because my GF doesnā€™t smoke, and it makes things easier that way.

Still, Iā€™m am 1000% pro canabis though. Beats the cr@p out of alcohol in so many ways !

('Jackie P') #6

Very interesting! Itā€™s been a long time since I indulged! But my memory is of eating every thing in the house, and then going out for morešŸ˜‚

(Susan) #7

I know some family members and friendā€™s of my kids that have developed schizophrenia from extreme marijuana usage. However, my hubby used it as a teen and then started using again a few years ago, after our sons both did, and it seems to calm him down. He is way more manic (he has Bipolar) and talks negatively, shouts more, etc when he doesnā€™t have any.

(Chris) #9

Citation needed.

Or

Show me the science, please. This sounds like you made it up.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

I have to be totally honest, when I say that cannabis effects different people differently. My GF is a prime example of that. When people say it is (or can be) addictiveā€¦ Okay sure, but then their are people who are addicted to eating soapā€¦ or cotton balls ! I donā€™t know about you, but Iā€™ve never had any problem staying away from eating those things.

As I have already said, throughout my life Iā€™ve had several time periods that lasted from say 2 to 6 years, where I smoked (or ate) THC products every day, often multiple times a day. Then, for different reasonsā€¦ a job which tested, or a GF who doesnā€™t smoke, I stopped at the drop of a hat. Zero problems. No withdrawal symptom. Nothing.

For myself, it didnā€™t hurt my health and fitness even a tiny bit. Probably just a coincidence that I was in pro-athletic shape, during the time I smoked and ate more THC than I ever have at any other point in my life.

(back and doublin' down) #11

I moved to this state with legalized cannabis two years ago thinking ā€˜finally!ā€™ Now, I am starting to have some concerns. Iā€™m still pro-cannabis, but with some caution. The strains available here are way beyond what the ā€œold headsā€ were doing up until about 10 years ago. I have friends that have been lifelong daily tokers and have lead successful and professional lives. Then again, I know some who the substance led to much worse outcomes. Now factor in the concentrates available, and professionally Iā€™m seeing much worse outcomes.

The n=1 factor for smoking some budā€¦we know it goes both ways, like with any substance. And I still donā€™t think itā€™s as damaging as alcohol. period. However, when oneā€™s smoking something in wax thatā€™s 99% THC, we donā€™t have long term studies for what thatā€™s doing to the body.

Itā€™s a super interesting area for me to watch both personally and as a mental health worker. I think Iā€™m mostly getting fed up with this: ā€œWhy did you move here?ā€ ā€œCause I could smoke weed legally.ā€ ā€œDid you have a job to move here to? a place to live?ā€ ā€œNahhhā€¦ā€ ugh.

(Chris) #12

To me all this and what you said above seems like less to do with the drug and a hell of a lot to do with the individual already being somewhat useless. Their psychological ā€œaddictionā€ is amplifying their best attributes.

(back and doublin' down) #13

yes, I agree about the part of it having more to do with their own thinking and priorities. The ā€œuselessā€ part I am less in agreement with. People struggle with substances (and I include food there) for ALOT of reasons, none of which would bring me to label them as ā€œuseless.ā€

(Rachel) #14

Hey, man. I canā€™t agree with you. Frankly speaking, CBD oils helps me. In addition to this, I meditate and always walk in a calm state. Just two years ago I had depression. No one of psychologists helped me, although they took quite a lot of money from me. Soon I declined their services and decided to fight with depression. And, so I was helped by practices of meditation and oils from https://www.healthcanal.com/best-cbd-oil/anxiety. So you shouldnā€™t say that about these oils. Maybe you took too little. Just I canā€™t believe that they donā€™t help.