Canadian Thanksgiving prices

(Laurie) #1

This week’s grocery flyer already has ham and turkey at low sale prices. I don’t like turkey much, and I eat alone, so I’ll skip that. The ham might be too full of sugar, but it will be worth a look.

They even have inside round roast at $11.00 per kg ($4.99 per pound), which is the cheapest I’ve seen it for a while.

(Bob M) #2

Do you have a sous vide? We ordered two turkeys last year, but only used one due to covid. We disassembled it into breast and dark meat and froze them air sealed. I made the breast in the sous vide one time and the dark meat another time. They were great.

Also, although I did not do this, brining them helps.

I eat a lot of ham, although you do have to watch it, as some of it is relatively high carb.

Another trick if you want to make the whole bird. disassemble it and start cooking the breast for about 30 minutes, then add in the dark meat. One recipe I use brines only the breast, though I think this year I’ll brine both. Another trick: take the thigh bone out and tie the thigh with string. This makes it a lot easier to eat.

(Laurie) #3

Thanks, Bob. Others will find this useful.

My ex-boyfriend used to work for a farmer in exchange for meat. Sometimes he’d bring home turkey, which neither of us liked. Made me mad! I mean, whatever, but I was the cook, and it took up freezer space because I wasn’t going to cook it.

My mother was very cool, and we convinced her to make fish and chips for Christmas.

(Carnivore for the win) #4

That’s a great deal for inside round. It’s my favorite cut for roasts. Was that a grocery store in BC?

(Bob M) #5

Inside round roast? I’ve never heard of that. This site does not list it either:

https://northernnester.com/types-of-beef-roasts/

Oh, I see. We call it “top round”:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-top-round-inside-round-995724

I use this all the time to make roast beef.

(UsedToBeT2D) #6

I’m with you on the turkey…mmm…no thanks.

(Bob M) #7

I’m telling you, you might change your mind. Brine the breast. Put it in sous vide, something like this:

I did not sear mine, instead choosing to plunge it into ice water and eat it cold.

Delicious. And I used to HATE turkey breast.

Thighs are the same way.

Though I plan on doing this for Thanksgiving:

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/smoked-turkey-legs/

Oh yeah, he uses a cardboard smoker:

We don’t have thankisgiving but turkey is available and cheap enough here. And I like it :slight_smile:

I never ate turkey breast but that’s surely not really edible to me as it’s fowl breast, lean stuff, eww (but rabbit is the same, I don’t eat the breast part).
(In the right way it’s more edible, Mom made chicken breast okay too but it never will be as good for me as some fatty meat.)

Hell’s frozen over! I just checked the one I have in fridge and paid $7.99, although I go to a douchey supermarket that’s overpriced, If I’m paying $7.99… Yours should have been $12.99 LOL!

I seriously don’t know how you guys do it, every time I see prices of things up there I cry.

(Carnivore for the win) #10

Inside round regular price around $10 - $12 per pound here. I have a flyer starting tomorrow, that has the roasts for $7.99 per pound, and I’ll be buying a bunch of them.

(Laurie) #11

@Elliot-W It’s an IGA in a small town in northern BC. The other store is Save-On-Foods. I am surprised at how reasonable the prices are here – or can be, if you’re careful.

The ham was 1 g carbohydrate per 100 g serving, so I bought one. I’ll cut it up and have it instead of bacon, and as pizza topping, etc.

@lfod14 I always thought Canada was more expensive. It sure is for some things.

(Carnivore for the win) #12

Thanks. I think we only have one IGA on the island, but its way up in Port Hardy. The Superstore in Duncan has the inside rounds on for $7.99 per pound though. I checked save on, but no roasts on sale here this week’s flyer. Good price on Turkey, but I’m not a fan of it.

(Laurie) #13

Nope, nothing good in the Save On flyer this week. Oh, they do have ham on sale (same price, same carb content), and the hams are half the size, which you might prefer.

(Carnivore for the win) #14

I saw the hams. I just buy fresh meat to avoid the sugars and stuff they put in ham, or bacon, or sausages. Carbs or sweeteners, of any kind, kickstart health issues and give me cravings. It’s inconvenient, but I figure people have worse problems in life, than having to just eat tasty whole meats.

(Cheryl Meyers) #15

Remember that CAD is different from USD! 7.99 USD is 10.99 CAD… still more expensive though. Meat is so cheap in the US.
In Japan, I pay at least 4,500 yen which is $40 USD for a 6-8kg turkey. It is a once a year treat… here is last season’s price, marked down: https://www.themeatguy.jp/en/meat/turkey/t006.html
OTOH, we have great cheap seafood here! and soy, so much soy.

prices are getting scary but it is great you hit some holiday sales prices that you can take advantage of :slight_smile:

No turkey for us…none of us like it.

No ham for me. I will hit ham when they go on low sale cause hubby is a ham guy to the ultimate, but I just was never a ham gal.

I just hit NY Strip steaks on sale for $7.99/lb which is ‘now a decent’ sale vs. the old days of $5.99/lb…but I am stocking up and buying now cause soon the red meats don’t go on sale as much, it is all about the turkey and ham and they keep the red meat higher now for holiday times around here.

I like ham but it needs to be some proper thing with lots of fat :slight_smile: Never found such a thing in supermarkets. I almost never eat ham but it’s fine (but I hope the nearby pig farm will have something for next Easter… not like it matters when I eat ham but Easter always put the thought into my mind :D).