Can someone tell me if my thoughts are correct on CICO

(Bob M) #121

This post is another reason there’s so much confusion in this area. I can gain or lose multiple pounds per day. I often have no idea why. For instance, I was hungry on Monday and Tuesday of this week and ate like a maniac. How much weight did I gain? None. Yet, yesterday I had my one drink I have per week and gained two pounds in one day. Now, there’s no way I could’ve gained two real pounds in one day, but the scale is highly variable and for reasons that aren’t straightforward.

You could have gained a lot of that weight because vegetables slow digestion and therefore you have more food physically inside of you. They are also higher in carbs, so you could be retaining water. We won’t even get into the havoc wreaked by alcohol, not to mention that’s hundreds of calories that must be burnt first. To attribute that weight gained due to calories is not scientifically sound.

And I don’t mean to point you out specifically, your post just happens to be at the bottom of this what is now massive thread.

(bulkbiker) #122

If I can help a bit here… I’m down about 110 pounds over the past 3 years and have maintained that loss. I have rarely if ever limited my calories although I do record them and do fast intermittently and have done a few extended fasts but not regularly.

(L. C.) #123

I thought I felt that way because they, the macro logs, are too vague, too small- awkward even when enlarged, and I cannot possibly log every little thing I put in my mouth. Trying to be sensible, however I JUST went into ketosis for the first time, verified by urine strip, TODAY! Finally doing something right.

I love this answer. Thank you! Pure inspiration. Congratulations on your continued success!

(L. C.) #125

Thank you​:grinning:not sure how long it took me, exactly, but I have been testing for 5 days. While being quite diligent on my consumption. OH!! Btw, I just started taking KETO BURN capsules, too! I am taking 6 a day. That must have really worked. Duh. Just remembered that…,:grin:

(Robert C) #126

Keto Burn (the one I found on Amazon) is essentially caffeine. At 6 a day you are taking 3 times the recommended dose. I could not find their actual caffeine content but, you may be flying high and building yourself quite an addiction (especially if you are drinking coffee too).

Beware of all “keto” supplements (coffee being a very natural and well known one) because really, to get your hormones straightened out, you probably want to take a very gentle route. Dietary changes are important but low stress and more sleep are important also (and more sleep is difficult popping caffeine pills).

(L. C.) #127

My KETO burn capsules are caffeine free. I chose that specifically. I drink enough regular coffee all day- don’t need the additional jolt.
The recommended dose is 6 capsules a day.

(Robert C) #128

Different from the one’s I found - glad they’re helping w/o caffeine.

(L. C.) #129

Thank you. So am I. (Finally)??

(less is more, more or less) #130

ezgif-5-912416271c6c

(less is more, more or less) #131

Here’s my favorite “keto activator,” available at your corner grocer.

(L. C.) #132

Here’s mine

Please enjoy the holiday motif-

When did I say that?

I have never said that. Now you’re just making things up!

It’s funny, I ate loads of butter when I started keto. It made me sick :nauseated_face: Now I can’t touch it!!

I think there is one thing for sure. Whether we agree on everything or not, we are all trying to help each other. That makes this forum, a good place to be for us all.

(Cindy) #136

Agreed!

I can’t eat butter by itself either. blech. I can, however, lick the spoon on my homemade mayo!

This ^ is basically what it comes down to in the end.

CICO can be a helpful explanation, and if you can somehow magically estimate account the CO side of things it can even be fairly precise.

But as a strategy, it sucks.

(Doug) #138

Agreed, Gabe. Calories are certainly relevant. Their importance, per se, can be overruled by other considerations, at least on a transient basis, in the scheme of a lifetime - that’s the way I’d put it.

(Running from stupidity) #139

Yeah, ummm…

Basically yes, CICO can work. Maybe only for some. But I lived on 800-1000 calories a day for a long time and would indulge

OK, so this is a pretty perfect example of one of the main issues right here: How do we define “works”?

Most people here, when discussing this topic, are NOT solely looking at WEIGHT, they are looking at HEALTH. If, as we’ve seen above, you define the parameters narrowly enough - a short period of time, ignoring actual health, etc. - then yeah, it “works.”

But if we’re talking about health? Then that’s a different story. It’s not physics, it’s people.

(Teri) #140

If you read the end of my post you would have seen that I mentioned that it put me in the hospital. So clearly it does not work from a health standpoint.
But if you are looking for weight/fat loss, it will in fact work. Sorry if that bothers you, or doesn’t sit well with people here. I’ve suffered from my ED long enough to know that a lot of people have issues facing the fact that one sure fire way to lose weight is to stop eating… because food and the amount people eat is a touchy and personal subject. Anorexia and other EDs are not healthy, not easy, but if you want to be thin, it “works” in that regard.
If you want to be healthy however, you can’t take shortcuts like that. You have to do it slowly and manage your diet and exercise routines. That’s why keto works. That’s why I’m doing it. I’m doing it because I am in recovery from my last ED episode and am trying to gain weight back, but have that weight be muscle. I workout everyday, I am able to run 5 miles 5 days a week and a 10k two days. I eat more than I would have ever imagined, and have gained 2lbs in 3 months, and it’s been in lean muscle. That’s what keto has allowed. I went from skinny fat to taking 4 minutes off my average running pace per mile. So I will never deny keto is the way to go. I was out of shape and killing myself and now I’m planning on running a half marathon.
So I’m 100% an advocate for keto, but I’ll never deny that CICO works for dropping pounds. Because it does. It doesn’t make you healthy, but it will make you lighter. That may not be the truth for everyone, as hypothyroidism and other medical issues can affect that, but for the general population it is a fact.