Calories in, calories out argument

(Olivia) #41

I wouldn’t say I have a mental disorder just because I track calories. It’s a routine, which occupies less than 2 min/day. Everybody tracks something in their life. Some count carbs, some their running mileage and others write every morning in their diary. Counting calories can be abused just as much as fasting or sport. It’s ok to weigh your broccoli and log it in your app. It’s not ok to avoid going to a restaurant with your friends because you cannot determine the precise calorie content of your food.

(Olivia) #42

There is a difference between knowing the calorie content of the food you’re ingesting and severe calorie restriction i.e. having a calorie budget below your BMR.

(Michael ) #43

Well, i was referring more to weight watchers point system than calorie counting, but i don’t want to count calories either.

This sentence right there gave me renewed hope. I started keto three months ago (and intend to keep ketoing on for life) but I remain disheartened that there’d been no changes to my body at all (no pounds or inches lost—I have 15 pounds to lose to my premenopause and best weight) and the severe hunger that drove me to search for a different diet in the first place isn’t abating as I heard it would. But reading your explanation for a plateau made me feel better (though I don’t know if I can call my situation plateau…since that implies initial loss…which didn’t happen with me except for the water weight loss in the first week that I promptly put back then stalled at my initial weight since)

I hope that if I keep ketoing on as I fully intend to that I will finally become fat adapted (I probably am not so far) and the soft fat I put on in the last couple of years will eventually be used up.

(Adam Kirby) #45

Just out of curiosity, what benefit does tracking your calories provide? What would happen if you stopped? To me it seems that tracking calories produces a lot of stress in many people. I’m sure some can do it without the negative mental baggage but it doesn’t seem like a worthwhile pursuit to do long-term.

(Olivia) #46

I gain weight.

(Jeanne Wagner) #47

Thank you so much for the science explanation Richard. It helps a lot. You’re going to make an awesome biochemist. Did I get that right? :smile: I’m finally listening to the podcasts from the beginning, you explain a lot of this. I probably should have started there but every single one is so awesome.