Calories DOES matter on keto

calories

(Lee Jones) #16

The odd 2 or 3 pound fluctuation aside Ive been stalled for over 12 months now. I’m still in the obese range and the stubborn belly fat refuses to budge. Maybe my problem, like yours, is not taking on board enough calories? What can you do tho’ if your guided by your appetite?

So frustrating!

(Rob) #17

Don’t know your situation but in principle,

“if you broke it, you will have to work to fix it”

The effort may be to eat more, above your appetite which may be set low, long enough to convince your body that it can increase BMR without risk?

(Ron) #18

LOL, almost exactly what I just said on another thread he post about it. Lee, I learned it from this guy, He knows what he is talking about.:+1:

(Kathrine) #19

do you know how much you are eating and what your macros are?
If you are undereating that’s probably why you don’t lose weight…
I thought keto was easy because I just had to listen to my body. Maybe it works for some people but not me…
Do you feel tired and how are your energy levels?

I’m not a doctor or nutritionist and the only thing I got is my own experience :slight_smile: But I would say that you should try to up your calories, if you are undereating, and you will finally feel the benefits of keto…

(Lee Jones) #20

That’s an interesting theory Bob and certainly worth further investigation.

I’m gonna try and increase my fat intake for a couple of weeks to ramp up my calorie intake. I’ll let you know how I get on :+1:t2:

(Jay AM) #21

This is probably worth a read for you too.

(Lee Jones) #22

I’ve not tracked my macros for some months but yesterday, which was a typical day, I had just over 1600 calories. 84.2% fat, 10.4% protein and 5% carbs.

My BMR is apparently 2355 so I’m running a daily deficit of around 700 calories.

(Dan Dan) #23

Yes Calories Do Count but not as CICO (Calories In Calories Out) :thinking:

Calories and Macros are counted for their Quality, Attributes and Ratios for the induction of Ketosis, control of Insulin, preservation and building of lean body mass, and to utilize fat as the primary fuel source in order to establish an environment conducive to healing and optimal Health :smiley:

A tried and tested starting place which has worked for most is very low carb, moderate protien and high fat without calorie restriction (at TDEE or maintenance) Macros at around 5%C/ 25%P/ 70%F

For Men 2000 -2500 kcals

1 Pound of Fatty Meat (or equivalent supplies daily protein and 50-60% daily fat)
1 Pound of Low Carb Mixed Veggies (or equivalent is less than 20g Carbs and rounds out daily nutrients)
4-7 Spoons of Fat (or equivalent rounds out daily fat)
Divide by number of meals

For Women 1800-2200 kcals

20% less Fatty Meat and Fat
Keep Veggies the same

A few things that maximize results by helping control insulin are

Eliminate Snacks
Eliminate Breakfast
Smaller Eating Window
Learn how to eat to get comfortably to your next meal

IF/EF Keto WOE are tools of Self-Discovery which leads to Self Mastery

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you” :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Consensus is Politics) #24

I’ve had similar problems losing weight after the initial 40 pounds in two weeks. I think my biggest problem was sabotaging myself with hidden sugars. Keeping my insulin elevated enough to block fat burning. Maltodextrin. That stuff has a higher glycemic index than table sugar, by nearly 100%! It was hidden in my non sugar sweetener, it was hidden in my “sugar free safe for diabetics” Metamucil, it’s even in my iodized salt. All these products and more use maltodextrin as an anti-caking agent. Evidently salts gets clumped up when it’s iodized. So now I’m very watchful of the ingredients list.

We live in an amazing world now. “It’s like living in the future”. When I go shopping I’m checking labels. If there is something new, or something I don’t know, I take out my phone and do a quick bit of research on it.

I also discovered, thanks to the Keto Dudes, that eating too little slows down the metabolism. I did a little experiment. One day, I had a very big meal. I ate about twice what I was normally eating. The next day, I weighed the same. But the day after that I lost four pounds! So I go back and forth now between feasting and just eating till I’m full. Every few days I’ll eat a lot more to reward my body for being patient with me. It’s paid off. In about the last month I have lost an additional 10 pounds. I got out of bed the other day and my pajamas fell off. I had to hold them up. :cowboy_hat_face:

Keto Vitae!

(Kathrine) #25

What a great story!!!
It’s amazing what the body can do :)!

Do you know what the podcast was called :)?
I would like to hear it :slight_smile:

It’s been 4 weeks for me with no loss as well. I’m getting VERY frustrated. I’m between 1200-1600 calories per day, 12-25 gr carbs.

And I’m IF 16/8 or 18/6 except Sunday’s.

Yes I have had a similar experience.

When I first started keto I was shy about eating too much. Thought I had to help keto and keep it all on the low side. But I would be low on energy yet I had adequate sodium.

“Eat to satiety” but I had forgotten what that even felt like. Thanks to the old carb diet, I confused “jam packed” with satiety. But now thanks to protein and fat my body finally says “thank you, that is what I was looking for” … and of course “hey I just cannot eat anymore”.

I was also shy about fat. Now I realise the body loves fat, it even makes it’s own, a great energy supply. Butter and olive oil are pure energy which we burn straight off. I make sure I get plenty.

It is amazing how little is required, just a tablespoon here and there.

Bye bye SAD and bye bye low energy. I don’t miss you.

(Starfox Rose) #29

I’m am really struggling with calories. I have lost next to nothing in 6 weeks. I may have to put extra effort in. Thank you for this post xxx

Definitely look for hidden carbs. One time my carb numbers looked okay but I had about 19 g all in one go. Yes that was dumb.

Another time,I was fine with one brand of yoghurt but when I switched to another brand it didn’t work, got kicked out of keto my blood analyser read zero!

I would have waved it all the way somehow as water weight it this and that but in my case it was just carbs “hiding” in plain sight

(Starfox Rose) #31

What’s a blood analyser?

A small electronic device which can measure blood ketone levels. Similar to a glucometer.

You jab yourself in the thumb, you can barely feel it, a drop of blood comes out, you take a reading.

I strongly dislike mystery, suspence and guess work. I’d hate to go a week or three before I realised I was getting knocked out of keto due to food XYZ.

Mine device is the Abbott “FreeStyle Optium Neo”. Measuring strips cost $8.50 for 10 in AU. Not the most expensive (or cheapest) things in the world but I like to know what is going on.

I was getting sloppy with the 20g carb limit, one time I had 70g total carbs (50 net) and still imagined I was OK, weirdly, I was. But I kept that attitude up then I was getting knocked out with 25g or even 21g (because I had about 19g all at once).

A meter is not essential but it has made me razor sharp with my 20g, the key which opens the keto door.

(Karen) #33

I wonder if that’s my problem. How much do you weigh currently? Do you know your BMI? Perhaps I need more calories

(Consensus is Politics) #34

Try going zero carbs. Its easier than you think. You might be getting insulin spikes from something else as well. Insulin is affected by many more things than just eating carbs. Stress, and artificial sweeteners just to name two.

I noticed i always get a weight loss stall when i lower my food intake. I dont even count calories, i just measure it in size of meals. If I eat 2 of my bacon wrapped chicken thighs a day, i hover around 195 pounds. If i eat 4 of them I quickly get down to 190 and hover there. But its so counter intuitive I keep testing it. And it has held true now for about 10 tests/cycles of this.

(Cindy) #35

So calories mattered, but in the opposite way most CICO advocates believe. You were eating too little and not losing weight. Started eating more, and you lost weight. :smiley: