Calories. Count or discount?

Hi Brian and welcome (if you’re still here),

The best macro guide is within you. “Eat to satiety”

The problem with sugar (especially fructose) based diet’s is they bypass this satiety, people eat and eat and eat, still not satisfied. So they eat more. Lose faith in “satiety” and try to restrict calories “eat less, move more”… until that fails then ???

But if we count carbs, AVOID: sugar, bread, rice, wheat and starchy veggies like potatoes - replace all of the above with above ground veggies - then we go into nutritional ketosis.

Once in keto we are finally burning our own stored fat, keep keto up and our appetite goes down automatically.

Satiety is triggered by protein + fat. Protein is by far the most important macro. Finally your body says “yes that is what I was looking for, and enough already …”.

So most of us keep a sharp eye on carbs. Don’t worry so much about protein and fat.

If you have beef/lamb/fish/chicken/… and veggies with one tablespoon butter on top or salad with one tablespoon olive oil - you will pretty well nail the keto diet “macros”. The big key is to avoid: sugar, bread, rice, wheat, potatoes. …

(References, Dr Robert Lustig, Steven Phinney, Jeff Volek, Eric Westman … amount many others, they have hundreds of papers between them as well as books and YouTube material).

(bulkbiker) #42

Yes but Jason is simply echoing what Bluettner says. I doubt he’s had time to delve into it himself…

(bulkbiker) #43

This may have been the one I read earlier…

(bulkbiker) #44

The one on Sardinia is even better…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #45

Thanks @MarkGossage , I really enjoyed that.

It’s kind of funny that Dr. Fung’s article referenced the study that was bent toward a veganesque version instead of the earlier study that almost asserts they were kind of Ketonians?

Of course products like spam hamburgers and hot dogs came along with th US Military so are from the mid 40’s on so that part is more of a description of their modern diet and not what the traditional diet was. I am starting to think they both have some holes. Interesting reads together. I will look for the Sardinia article.

(bulkbiker) #46

Sorry forgot to include the link…

(bulkbiker) #47

Wasn’t the first thing that the Okinawans asked for after WW2 pigs from Hawaii? Or is that an apocryphal tale?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

If it isn’t true, it ought to be!

(Note to self: re-watch Teahouse of the August Moon. Brando! Glenn Ford!)