Calories. Count or discount?

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #21

Thank you for that! I was feeling a bit intimidated and overwhelmed with the idea of all that tracking I appreciate your feedback.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #22

You don’t need to, some like to🙄. Just keep a mental count of your carbs. In the beginning I did measure my carbs out so I knew exactly how many but now I estimate and occasionally to keep myself honest I will randomly check my measurements and they r always close.

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #23

Yay you for taking charge of your life and health, and turning it all around!!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #24

:rofl::wink: it’s nice to pat yourself on the back occasionally. (you responded to yourself)

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #25

Yes, especially when you loose weight and can actually reach your back!! LOL … good for you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

No. “Lazy keto,” as it’s called, is perfectly fine. Tracking is fine, too, if you’re up for it. But I couldn’t do keto if it were a requirement. I just couldn’t. All I do is to keep my carbohydrate intake as low as possible, and it seems to work. :bacon:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #27

I feel like CICO was created by satan and his minions went on to develop all these apps to take the joy out of eating and life. :grin:

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #28

Ok then. Lazy Keto it is!! we have a winner, and i will give it my best! Thank you!

(Windmill Tilter) #29

If you give “lazy keto” a try and it’s not your thing, there is always “boring keto”. That’s what works for me. Basically, I picked 10 foods that make up 90% of my calories. When you eat essentially the same thing every day, it makes macro tracking a breeze, and food ceases to be a source of entertainment.

I like all the things on my list, but I don’t crave any of them even when I’m fasting for 3 days. It’s not for everybody but it’s changed my relationship with food from being controled by cravings and fantasizing about food, to just refueling when hungry. Here are my 10 things:

• Smoked Herring
  • Homemade Chili
  • Bacon
  • 3 Fried Eggs
  • Avocado
  • Peanut Butter (for breaking extended fasts only)
  • Chicken Salad w Homemade Avocado Oil Mayo
  • Italian Sausage
  • Pulled Pork
  • Hot Wings

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

There’s a link to something else Dr. Fung wrote that I really found interesting, Blue and unBlue diets. I have never read about this but knew something about the Okinawa traditional diet.

Dr. Fung analyzes this nearly vegan diet and explains why it works also referencing several other blue zone diets. It is fascinating that the human body is so adaptable and can thrive on different nutritional profiles. Keto is working for me but you never hear about 100 year olds who eat a ketogenic profile their whole life. You can eat high carbs of select origin with very low protein and live to be over 100.

(bulkbiker) #31

Okinawa?.I thought that was about 60% pig and lard…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #32

Not that I’m in fat burning phase I weight olive oil in salads and my occasion treat of HWC.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #33

Now it is, but traditionally they had festivals fairly regularly where fish and pork were eaten. But most days it was beans, seaweed, vegetables and sweet potatoes which grow well in Okinawa where rice doesn’t. Sweet potatoes replaced rice as a staple in the 1600’s. All these blue zone diets are carb heavy and low protein. But lard was the usual fat. The modern Okinawa diet is the same or worse than the SAD. Obesity rates are the highest in Japan. Sweet potatoes have been replaced with white bread, noodles and rice.

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #34

LOL…“Boring Keto”… That is an interesting way to approach this. Perhaps I can combine the two and call it “Lazoring Keto”… All kidding aside. It does keep it simple. Thank you so much for your insight and suggestions.

(Carl Keller) #35

No it’s not necessary. You can do what’s called lazy or dirty keto and simply keep your carbs low. Plenty of people have success by simply avoiding sugar and starches.

Cronometer is a food diary that will tell you exactly what is in what you are eating. You would be surprised how much natural sugar is in some vegetables and eating too much of them might keep you from weight loss. As long as you know what foods are high in carbs and which aren’t, you don’t have to use an app.

(Frank) #36

I’ve probably tracked macros/calories for a total of 2-3 months in the last 14 months. In the beginning, a few times during stall points, and lately in maintenance just to see where I’m at. I’ve also weighed myself daily for over a year. I’m a data driven person who understands daily fluctuations and needs to see trend lines to stay in check. Loss now month over month is measured in tenths of a pound and that’s perfect for me.

(Valerie D Cavigliano) #37

Thank you Carl. That sounds very reasonable…

(bulkbiker) #38

Saw a fairly recent report that said it certainly wasn’t mainly vegan… I’ll see if I can dig it out…

This wasn’t it but makes similar claims…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #39

@MarkGossage Just follow the link to read Dr. Fung’s article if you put stock in his work.

(Alec) #40

“The CICO model very useful because it efficiently flags people who are not all that knowledgable about obesity, and I can safely ignore them. There are many of these people out there, and not everybody is worth listening to.”

That is the best end to an article that I have read for a long time… utterly fantastic. If only we could clone Dr Fung and have more of him wandering around helping people.