Calling on the Wise Ones! Help!

Dr Berry is full of contradictory information. Yes he’ll hold his hands up and say he got it wrong, but the wrong information has already been delivered to millions online many times.

(Marianne) #28

When I got into trouble, I had stopped tracking or counting macros. I think if you do both for a time, you will be in the optimal range for good health and weight loss. I do try to keep the total carbs as low under 20 as I can. I think I need to get back to tracking and staying within my macro guidelines.

(John Bradshaw) #29

@Hketo What specific examples can you give where Dr Berry has contradicted himself, since you say he “is full of contradictory information”? Please supply the hyperlinks to the contradictory information so we can all see it, rather than just assert it is so.

He has thousands of videos. Many where he goes back on his old knowledge admitting he originally had it wrong!

Are you tracking what you eat? Or eating intuitively? If not, track. Can’t troubleshoot if you don’t know what’s going in the tank. When your hormones screw you, so can your hunger/satiety signal, don’t trust untrustworthy things to guide you.

If you’re not losing, your body doesn’t need to lose, because you’re giving it no reason too. Most people don’t do that intentionally. I though I was eating at a pretty decent deficit for a while when I was stalled forever, until I had my metabolism measured, and not only was I not at a deficit, I was eating WAY over that. yet I wasn’t eating much at all for somebody with my activity levels, my metabolism was just crap. Once I got a hold of that it started to self correct.

(John Bradshaw) #32

@Hketo Since there are “thousands of videos” and “Dr Berry is full of contradictory information” can you please give a couple of specific examples so we can understand his contradictions more fully. Thx.

(Allie) #33

Would you prefer he stuck to his original claims despite acquiring new info / knowledge? We are all in a constant stage of progression, all learning as we go and as we learn, our beliefs (unless we are closed minded!) will progress and change with us.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #34

I actually find it reassuring that he updates info based on new studies and research.
Though I totally get what you mean.
If you see an older vid and base your diet etc on that outdated one … you may or may not see the new one

(Allie) #35

A good argument for making sure you seek out the most recent info.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Bear in mind, everyone, that the research into the ketogenic diet and related matters is growing, and we are learning new things all the time. Some science is truly settled, while other ideas get overturned. (Then, of course, there are the bogus ideas that are in place for non-scientific reasons.)

For example, I well remember a video by Dr. Ron Rosedale on how we should eat a minimal amount of protein, so as to avoid activating mTOR, because too much mTOR would shorten our lives. That was a good understanding of what we knew at the time, but in subsequent years, the picture has been refined, and now it’s clear that we need much more protein than Dr. Rosedale was recommending in that lecture, and that mTOR plays a role in our longevity. It’s the balance of mTOR and autophagy (and other processes) that is essential to keeping our body functioning in good health for as long as possible.

There’s also what people hear, as opposed to what the lecturer said. I clearly remember a couple of videos by Dr. Phinney that I watched back in 2016-17, in which I remember him referring to 100-125 g/day of carbohydrate as “low-carb” and “ketogenic.” He told me he never said that, but that’s what I remember, lol! In any case, as I got into this way of eating, it became clear that while I can eat a fair amount of carbohydrate and still be in ketosis, I am much more comfortable if I eat minimal carbohydrate.

(Allie) #37

Like gluconeogenesis and protein intake which is still an ongoing dogma for many.

(Christine G) #38

Have you ever considered light, water and magnetism (grounding)? If not, consider checking out Sarah Kleiner, Jack Kruse or Sara Pugh. Circadian and circannual rhythms may need to be considered to get your body back into alignment. Diet works best when these things are considered.

Basically you want to see sunrise, UVA rise and sunset, with naked eyes (no contacts or sunglasses) and as much skin as possible to turn the clocks on in your body. There are apps for this, let me know if you would like suggestions.

Another consideration is blue light toxicity - how much blue light are you exposed to during the day and after sunset? Jack Kruse recently posted a study on his Patreon showing blue light alone causes blood sugar rises, without food consumption.

Also, if your sleep is right, the clocks in your body will send signals to dump the weight. if your sleep is not good, the body can’t do its job.

There is way more to this, but at the base level the light is the key.

Also, when I don’t eat carbs, I can’t sleep, not sure why, but each time I try it, I crash my sleep and weight loss. When I sleep, the weight comes off effortlessly. For me, sleep is the key, diet is lower on the list.

I love keto and recommend it, and can do it sometimes, but based on my age (mid 50s), it crashes my system if I do it too long.

This is not to say when eating carbs they can be any processed junk or sugar you can get your hands on, that will trash any system regardless. There are plenty of unprocessed carbs available for your location and season that will send the right signals to your body clocks of where and when you are on the planet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

This is interesting, because my experience is the opposite. I sleep better and longer, the less carbohydrate I eat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

That sounds fascinating. Can you post the author and title? I could look it up in PubMed and give it a read.

(Christine G) #41

Maybe gender and age play a part. I have heard many times, that people sleep better with less carbs, I have just never experience it myself. That is not to say it is not true, just not my experience. I think keto is amazing and highly recommend it.

(Christine G) #42

This is the Patreon post where he talked about it: https://www.patreon.com/posts/80643330?utm_campaign=postshare_fan

These are the studies he cites, not sure where exactly to look though:

Text from post: Very few people have linked the complex pathophysiology of diabetic retinopathy with an altered spectrum of sunlight because they do not seem to understand the biology of POMC even today in 2023. They continue a biochemical focus with their lens pointed to retinal oxygen/fuel consumption with resultant hypoxic damage to retinal neurons. Blue light destroys melanin because it raises blood glucose and insulin. UV light and IR-A light is what are critical in the melanin renovation of the RPE. The biochemical focus wants to continue to discuss potential mechanisms through which sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors improve retinal hypoxia—through ketone bodies. This is incredibly myopic because no one seems to understand mammals make glucose and insulin from blue light.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #43

Oh wow, this is why I started Keto and why I’m here now. Didn’t get a good night sleep for years.
4hrs was a good night.
Only been doing this new Keto Life for 3 months and I get 8 hrs every night. I wake once for a pee and go straight back

There is some newer research emerging out of Europe that shows that the body sees fat loss as an injury and that the body has two options to repair the “injury” (survival mechanisms) from shrinking fat cells. One is to refill your fat cells with fat, or option two is to reshape or remodel the extracellular matrix, or exoskeleton. This can play out over a few years or even longer. Fascinating research. It may help explain that we may not have as much control over weight gain as we think we do.

Google Dr. Mariman, Maastricht University.

(Kirk Wolak) #45

Are you measuring Net Carbs or Total Carbs?
Are you consuming Dairy?
Are you measuring your Glucose/Ketones via blood?
Do you keep a Food Diary?
Are you using Artificial Sweeteners?

This is an old post of the things I recognized…

(B Creighton) #46

I’ve stopped almost all American cow dairy, and don’t get up at all now. I do have some local raw A2 dairy I make yogurt with or I buy goat yogurt. I found when I stopped cottage cheese too, I had less prostate issues. A1 casein in American cow dairy seems very inflammatory to me now, and probably always has been.