Calling All DIY-ers!

I have bought these on Amazon. Just pop in the microwave and they puff up. I love them for Brenda’s pork rind pancakes/waffles! Much less in the long run than buying bags of pork rinds at the store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O5QWD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Sophie) #42

Those are really cool! Who knew you could get pork rind pellets! :smiley:
And congrats on the Cream Maker too! You’ll love the double cream. I need to figure out how to do mayo in it. :heart_eyes:

We visited the Les Paul exhibit in Discovery World this past school year with our online school group. Very cool.

I would love a recipe for home made cream cheese using full fat milk. I am sensitive to the A1 casein, but I am able to buy A2 whole milk which I can digest with no problem. (If a recipe was already posted, forgive me. I did try to search, but may not have searched properly.)

(Sophie) #45

This is the one that I use…

1qt Homestead Creamery Organic Whole Milk -Creamline
2c. Heavy whipping cream
4 ice cubes of double strength buttermilk (ripened 24hrs prior to freezing in standard ice cube tray)

Heat milk/cream to 86F, add the buttermilk cubes and continue heating to 88F and cubes are melted. Remove from heat, cover the pot and wrap in a towel. Leave on counter at room temp for 20hrs. Drain in a cheesecloth lined colander for 2hrs then secure the corners of the cheesecloth and hang to drain for 10hrs. Remove to container and chill overnight.

Note: For the buttermilk, just set jar full on the counter at room temp to allow it to thicken anywhere from overnight to 24hrs. I place a coffee filter over the mouth of the jar just to keep anything from falling in there. Then when it’s ready it can be frozen in an ice cube tray to use whenever you want it. ETA: Make sure your buttermilk is Cultured!

Also, the longer you hang, the thicker it will be. Usually by 12hrs I’m ready to have it because I’m impatient! :smile:

That sounds like it would be delicious. Thanks for taking the time to write that all out. You have inspired me to buy some freeze dried buttermilk culture to make my own buttermilk. My experiments with trying to make my own cream cheese out of whole milk really failed because the cream cheese didn’t have that tangy flavor. I think the buttermilk is going to make the difference. I wish I could just go to the supermarket and buy cream cheese or butter milk for that matter. I only have access to A2 whole milk, but if I could make my own cream cheese out of the A2 milk it would open up a whole other world of cooking with recipes using cream cheese. Thanks again!

(Sophie) #47

It’s the culture in the buttermilk that coagulates the cheese. You’re basically growing cultures just like incubating yogurt. I hope it works out for you and let us know how it goes!