Burn protection on keto?

(Failed) #1

I know from my n=1 that sunburn is no longer an issue for me. I’m very fair skinned and my normal cycle is burn then peel. Now it’s my skin gets slightly red, but that goes away within a day or two and I don’t peel.

Today, I was using my heat gun to browned down some ribs and put the lower third of my left index finger on the middle just below the 1100°F tip. Obviously, I got burned. I put ice on it almost immediately.

It was so hot that it didn’t even blister, it just crisped up the skin a bit.

What is surprising to me is that it is tender and mildly painful, but nothing like I would think it would have to be.

Has anyone else experienced a lesser pain response to a burn on keto?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

Yes. Now I have always been a tanner, not a burner, and thought I was quite swarthy based on my familial experience. Only to discover that I am quite pale compared to genpop, But I have found I do not need sunscreeen, And recently i don’t even have any pinkish days.

Next time I have a kitchen burn, which is inevitable, I will pay attention to see if it is not so bad as usual. This will defitetly be attribuable to keto, whether from integumetatry resiliance, or from improved cooking skills.

(Failed) #3

It’s been a few hours now, and it doesn’t hurt at all anymore it’s very slightly tender if I rub it on something. This is weird!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I find that sun exposure no longer turns me red, the way it used to. I can spend four hours in the sun mowing the lawn, with no effect. I don’t care whether I tan or not, I’m just glad I’m no longer burning after half an hour. . . . :sunflower:

Yes. I brand burned my finger on a stove top wire grate two days ago. I only noticed the burn when washing my hands with hot water. It has left a red mark, no blister. That is rapidly disappearing.

I think the sunburn resistance, and maybe this reduced burn response, has to do with the biochemistry of NAD and NADH in hight turn over epithelial cells like found in the skin (or the gut?). It is why people in Australia are advised to supplement nicotinamide, a specific form of Vitamin B3, as part of recovery and further prevention of solar induced skin cancer.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1506197

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I used to burn a lot easier too. Last weekend it was pretty hot where I was , I did a lot of laps in the pool and laid on my back in the sun for over an hour. No pinkness at all. In fact I used to feel pretty intolerant of being in the hot direct sun in general but last weekend not at all.

I understand the skin is replaced a few times a year and the better fatty acid profile on KETO gives your skin a lot more natural sun resistance once seed oils are eliminated and your skin has done some regeneration.

I don’t think KETO will keep me from burning at 1100F however, there’s a couple of things that KETO just can’t do. I will however keep the superhero suit! :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Another advantage is that a high-fat diet lets the body produce enough cholesterol that some of it can be turned into Vitamin D in the skin. I seem to recall that Vitamin D has something to do with healing burns. But don’t quote me—I’m only on my second cup of coffee at the moment! :coffee::coffee:

(MooBoom) #8

Yes, historically I burn very easily. My fiancé and I went on a hike today, idiotically neither of us with sun protection. He is quite painfully pink and feels very hot, I am neither pink nor over-heated!

Unrelated but also a curious change, mosquitoes don’t like me anymore and they used to devour me head to toe. Gotta love keto!

(mole person) #9

Yes. I’ve noticed this exact thing with bad kitchen burns twice now. I thought it sounded so crazy I didn’t mention it to anyone but my husband.

(Failed) #10

LOL! Luckily (?) I’m old enough so I don’t care if anyone thinks I’m nuts.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Raj Seth) #11

Had to look that one up! :crazy_face:

(Failed) #12

This is what it looks like this morning. It’s slightly thicker than the surrounding skin, so I notice that when I bend it, but no pain or tenderness at all.

It’ll be intersting to see if it peels off or simply goes away.

(Karla Sykes ) #13

Wow

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

I vote for autophagy!

(Failed) #15

Ding! Ding! Ding! Autophagy for the win!

It’s getting smaller and no peeling.

(Bunny) #16

Less sugar in the diet, means less glycation or sugar binding with the protein (collagen) molecules in the skin and makes your skin more resistant to cosmic radiation (the sun) and I guess heat too (autophagy)?

”…The key point is that vitamin D significantly reduces the risk for almost all chronic disease (including melanoma), yet widespread vitamin D deficiency exists in the public (7, 8, 9, 10, 11). …”

”…A significant example of this is the amount of polyunsaturated fats in our cells and our omega 3-6 ratio.

Both of these affect how stable our cells are and how resistant they are to oxidative damage from UV radiation.

To emphasize this point; a large body of evidence suggests omega-3 is an inhibitor of melanoma.

Conversely, the data implicate (excessive) omega-6 as a melanoma stimulator – at least in cell and mouse models (15). …” …More