Breakfast keto coffee - should i skip lunch?

(jill hampson) #1

Hi
for the last couple days I have had keto coffee at B/fast time. i.e 41 gms of fat or 2 tblls full cream with coffee. tastes good and very satiating. However, i have then taken a small lunch at around 2pm of whole avocado with 3 strips bacon or avocado with small amount of LC veg mixed in. I have read somewhere that if having the coffee, one should then have nothing till end of the day. I think I could do this, but going out today and dont want to be caught short and end up eating what is available. thought maybe would take some homemade beef broth and have that mid afternoon. day 10, feelilng good. waking up with enthusiasm and a strong feeling that this is very much agreeing with my body and mind. thanks for all the contributions here. It is such a useful place to come.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

What you describe does not seem like very much food overall. Is this typical? Because they’re used to previous reduced calorie diets, many people start out on keto eating way too little. Keto is reduced carbs, not calories unless your specific goal is weight loss. Keto works to return your body and metabolism to normal and in the process usually trends toward normalized weight as a beneficial side effect. There are lots of folks on this forum who can offer advice on how much and how often to eat but you will need to provide more info about yourself and your goals. General rule of thumb is eat enough at meal time so you don’t feel hungry between meals: ie don’t snack. Keep carbs sub-20 grams per day.

I don’t know any ‘rule’ that says if you put fat in your morning coffee you can’t eat lunch. A lot of people eat once per day, or twice per day in order to maintain low insulin levels. But if you’re not type2 diabetic, prediabetic or insulin resistant, I would advise not getting into that for a while. You need first and foremost to learn and get with the program. Then you can explore additional possibilities.

Question from first timer
(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

Where are you getting the fat macros from? Here is what cronometer says:

2 Tbls is 11g of fat. 100 grams is only 36 grams of fat. Which tracks since the box I get says 35% fat.

That said, if weight loss is your goal many people recommend not drinking your fats, but eating them. We’re all different and you know your body better than I, but I also think you aren’t eating enough. I’ve never eaten only 3 pieces of bacon.

Welcome!

At least the first 6 weeks of LCHF/keto you should be eating abundant nutrient dense foods to help you get 100% fat-adapted and not miss out on important minerals and protein during the changeover of your system. Dr. Phinney also recommends drinking one or two bouillon/stock cubes dissolved in hot water as a great way to keep up salt levels, or you can just make electrolytic summer drinks like Keto-Aid or just be sure to add salt & lemon to your drinking water or broth.

Fat loss is a goal to focus on after you are 100% adapted - not while in the process of getting adapted. Your body will recompose over the longer term no doubt, but now’s the time to get your brain & physiology fully established. LCHF/keto way of eating is a lifestyle that creates durable change over seasons - so try to keep a long term perspective!

If you’re not feeling like eating - your enzymes are changing with the high fat, and this is normal. If it doesn’t get better in a few days, consider adding a pro-enzyme routine like sauteeing a little onion and adding a tblsp of shredded Ginger and maybe a chopped green chilli - and using that on top of your meals. Or, supplementing with Ginger capsules (1-2 with each meal). Ginger is a superfood that not only enhances enzyme production and circulation to optimize digestion, but also reduces cortisol and clears fibrin - it’s a great vasodilator.

A fatty coffee (esp w/ a tblsp of coconut oil added for MCTs) is a wonderful way to start the day. You can make it more of a standalone ‘meal’ (rather than a fat-fast drink which is another subject, and you shouldn’t be fasting quite yet) by adding 2-3 raw organic/pastured egg yolks for protein (they surprisingly disappear into the coffee and just boost the creaminess of the cream). During your early weeks of keto, aim to eat two other meals for the rest of the day, to keep your fuel & nutrient density good. If you’re going to eat bacon with avocado (great choices) choose thick cut bacon and try to eat several pieces to add up to 20g of protein - and maybe add an egg or some cheese for more protein.

Fat is very filling - and satiation is a new sensation. That’s why it can be super helpful to follow a program of some sort for the early weeks, to make sure you’re getting your nutrient density in. Lots more info and menus/recipes support in the classic LCHF/keto books Protein Power by the Drs. Eades, and The Art & Science Of Low Carbohydrate Living by Stephen Phinney MD and Jeff Volek PhD. I still keep those books handy on an endtable and find them really helpful resources.

Keep Calm and Keto On! :coconut::herb::steakcake::egg::bacon::herb:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5

I love my breakfast coffee! Some variation of 100 g HWC, two whole eggs, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, sometimes 1 tsp cocoa powder, pinch of salt. (Don’t forget the chili pepper in the coffee itself!) I don’t always add the oil, and sometimes no cream either. Even without cream you don’t get an eggy flavor.

(Karen) #6

Are you saying you put two raw eggs in your coffee? Doesn’t the coffee kind of cook them?

(less is more, more or less) #7

First off, I second everything @amwassil wrote. This snippet from the OP caught my attention.

Given the sea of information and misinformation that is the “somewhere” you reference, (I presume the Internet) what is it about this recommendation that caught your attention and curiosity?

Dr. Westman does not recommend adding fat for fat’s sake. I personally add eggs to my morning cold drinks for satiety and for general feeling well. I used to add butter or coconut oil, but I only do this now on my fasting Fridays.

I’m comfortable saying that what I do doesn’t translate well for what others may want to consider.

(Ken) #8

Are you hungry when you eat Breakfast? If not, I suggest you wait to eat it until you are. Your body usually runs out of food during sleep, so you’re probably burning body fat. Waiting to eat until actually hungry insures this.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

I eat a good fatty breakfast with eggs, meat and cream in my coffee every morning. It makes up more than half of my macros for the day, as much as 60-80g. of fats. A second meal in mid afternoon and I am good to go. Usually finished eating for the day by 3-4pm. I personally find it better to start the day with a blast of fat and protein and eat a smaller meal of vegetables and meat for my second meal. So I have good energy all day, and sleep with an empty stomach. This gives me a pretty long daily fast with low insulin all night long. Everyone is different though and many people would find my eating schedule inconvenient socially, not eating dinner with others. But it works best for me. YMMV :cowboy_hat_face:

(Allie) #10

Fatty coffees are generally a meal replacement but just for one meal so if you have yours at breakfast, no problem eating lunch and certainly if you are hungry, eat.

(jill hampson) #11

thank you for this. today when out I did feel hungry around 3pm and ate cheese and ham provided as sandwich fillings at the venue we attended which I have been using an app to log and calculate (carb Manager) and this shows that I have my ratios for the past week have been 3%carb 74 % fat and 23% protein. I have not gone hungry, or had many snacks. It is a complete novelty to not feel constantly hungry, but instead, satisfied and not trying to resist eating. . The App shows that i am my daily calories in are about 1400 calories over the past week, (app says i should aim be on around 1772) which i agree does not seem a lot, but could not see that it made sense to eat more than I actually want. I am 2-3 stone over weight being 12stones (76 kilo at start) age 59 having maintained a weight of no more than10 stone all through life until last year when i began to pile on the weight, presenting what i now believe to be symptoms of insulin resistance of some kind. always tired, hungry, lack lustre, carb addicted more and more,and feeling of hopelessness and desperation. Weight loss is of course a goal, but it is more important that I can improve overall health and feeling of wellbeing and vitality over the long term. j

Nope - it just wonderfully warms the creamy liquid - I only use yolks though, as I believe albumin must be cooked well. I first learned about it in The Keto Diet Cookbook, and thought it was a bit weird - but it’s mighty convenient on certain days.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

You’d think, but no. It blends in nicely. If I only do eggs no cream it just acts a bit like cream anyway. I’m not a big fan of eggs. I’ll have them once in a while, but tire of them quickly. So this is a good way to get more eggs in my diet without having to acknowledge them.

(jill hampson) #14

Mary - thanks very good and useful info there. I love ginger and used to grate it onto my morning porridge oats, so good to know can and should, still use it. already adding salt and lemon as you suggest to water and adding chilli to salads. I will try the eggs in coffee tomorrow (although it sounds yucky) with an open mind!

I am more than happy to adjust at the right pace and although I would hope to lose weight, I can tell already that the change in the way this makes me feel is enough to keep me on track and go beyond previous wildest hopes. I been getting into nutrition and health for the last 20 years, more seriously in the last ten, now a non drinker and smoker, (having been addicted to both years ago) . Have danced around the LCHF concept for the past 7-8 years but somehow never got it together to commit fully and have suffered accordingly. Only recently did I get the ‘light bulb’ moment, and it was after finding 2ketodudes podcast by accident really and suddenly it all made sense. it explained why I could never accept 100% the confusing messages that have been coming at me in regard to low fat and carbs for all these years.

One more thing. You say it will take around 6 weeks to fat adapt. I am feeling 100% improvement in health and wellbeing already and its 12 days since i fully converted. Can i really expect to feel even better than this! I dont want to get over excited about that possibility and feel most happy and totally amazed at how things are just now. thanks again for the book referrals. I will get hold of them, to be sure.
best wishes and many thanks
Jill.

You’re so welcome Jill!

Yes, you can expect to feel even better, and better - as long your water/salt balance is good and your brain is well fueled by fats (BDNF, brain-deriveed neurotrophic factor, is very wonderful stuff - along with HGH, human growth hormone) :blush:

Enjoy those books! I love offscreen reading/study time myself.

:herb: :coconut: :steakcake: :fish: :sheep::avocado: :sparkles:

(Miro) #16

I am having a hard time finding morning porage oats. Can you share the brand?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

So eat anything you want that is keto friendly when you are hungry. Forget macros, just eat. Hey, its way past dinner here - I just had five pieces of salami and three string cheeses!