Brand New and Confused (rambly, I'm sorry)

newbies
weightloss

(Margaret) #1

Hi! My boyfriend is also joining me on this journey for support. But I am either super confused or over thinking.
(Small Back story- I’ve had weight issues for about 5 years now, (I am now in my 20’s if age matters) my doctor said that losing weight will be the hardest thing for me to do, but with no reason behind it, and no suggestions or help. Thyroid is fine and everything like that. I gained weight after being on medication for mental health issues. I’ve been weening off and got off of them completely last week so i can lose weight. the right professionals know about it and have supported me
An example of it being weirdly hard is that I got stomach surgery to repair something I had done when I was a baby and I had to basically go on the diet that people use when they get gastric bypass but I actually gained water weight for a while, and then still barely lost any weight, minus the water. BUT that was when I was medicated. I’m doing my best to be done with that and I now I want to lose weight. It’s hard for me to work out right now due to a herniated disc, but I wanted to get the habit of the diet down before trying to add in something else to focus on. But I do go on walks.

I’ve been researching this diet for about a month or so, and I am either over thinking or I am actually confused. I’ve read books, website after website, blogs and vlogs.
I understand that it’s low carb, good amount of protein and fats but the numbers confuse me. I have a list of stuff that we can eat, but how much of it do I eat? How do I keep track of food like that? (I cannot afford to buy myfitnesspal)

I did a calculation on (I think) RuledMe. And for me to lose weight I need to eat 1464 calories that are divided like

• 114g fat
  • 20g carbs
  • 90 protien

Say that I would eat a turkey sandwich (using lettuce as bread) with some cheese and onion. What numbers are those? Calories and protein stuff? I don’t want to use recipes every day 3 times I day, but am I going to have too? What do I do if I go out, or really anywhere that isn’t our kitchen

Like we made eggs this morning, we each had i think 2 eggs worth of scrambled eggs each, with a mushroom each, half a green pepper each and a serving size each of cheddar cheese. Is that how we do it? A serving size of everything? Or do we just throw stuff together that’s allowed to be eaten in anyway and eat it?

Like I said, I think I’m over thinking. I’m dead terrified of eating too much or not enough. I’m stressed about my weight and I need to lose a good chunk to be at a healthy weight and size.

I’m sorry about this being confusing and rambly. I apparently need this explained like I’m 5 or something.

(Jenn Monaghan) #2

I track my food on the free version of My Fitness Pal. I am not good with measurements either, so I always search for entries where people have put in tablespoon or cup measurements because I can guesstimate pretty well on those.

On the free version, I was able to change the macros goals to my goals of 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. And then there is a macro graph you can look at.

(jilliangordona) #3

Hi!! To make things easier for myself, I started simple by just removing the carbs from my diet and adding fats where I normally wouldn’t (extra cheese, butter, etc). I picked up labels frequently so I could get a better understanding of the make up of foods and what I could and couldn’t eat.

I’ve personally never tracked, and while I haven’t lost weight yet, all of my markers for insulin resistance and PCOS have gone away, I am way more energetic and my ADHD and depression symptoms have gone away.

My advice would be keep it simple to start and just keep reading!

(KB Keto) #4

@jilliangordona is right. Start the diet in a manner where you wont be miserable. Cut carbs below 20g net and limit your protein to the 90g. Then eat fat so that you feel full. Use my fitness pal to track your basic diet. Dont overthink it. Early on calories shouldnt be your concern initially. You want to get your body to start understanding that it’s no longer getting carbs as fuel and needs to figure it out.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, and make sure you are getting enough electrolytes. If you start feeling crappy, salt and potassium will most likely be low. KetoAide homemade

When you go out, avoid carbs, sugars, and sauces you dont know. Salads, meats, butters and oils are all great. Heck, McDonalds will put a bunless cheeseburger on a platter and give you some utensils with it (we can thank Atkins for something)

and Keep coming back here! Advice we have a plenty.

(Rayanne Mc Cullough) #5

How are you doing? I just started on January 2 I have not really used the calculator or anything I just stay under under 20 carbs per day. I will start looking into other things when I stop losing but so far it’s working.