Brain Change Happening

(Ruth) #1

I’m still somewhat new to this WOE (1/11/18) but I can feel a shift in how I feel about food already and I think my brain is going through some changes.

I’ve always been someone who thought about eating all day and my life has always revolved around my next meal and, unfortunately, I’ve been known to relax and/or comfort myself by binging. Well, I am at the point that my appetite is just not that strong. I still think about my food, because I track everything pretty closely, but I think that eating this way is starting to change the emotional component of it and I don’t feel out of control when I’m hungry. I eat. I’m full. And that’s it.

And here’s something else that’s weird… when it’s quiet, or I’m trying to fall asleep, or I’m exercising, I’ve been flooded by upsetting memories. Some of them going back to when I was pre-kindergarten age. I don’t dwell on them or anything. I’m usually able to acknowledge them and then work on relaxing and clearing my head. I don’t feel like this is a bad thing at all. It’s occurring to me that I’m changing. I’m not numbing or self-medicating myself with food anymore so all of these repressed things may be just…I don’t know…working out of my system, maybe? They’re not particularly intrusive and impacting my quality of life, it’s more like, “Damn that’s new.” But for the most part…I’m just feeling really, really good.

Anyway, I started eating this way to lose weight, (which I have and I hope it continues…) but I think it may turn out to be kind of life changing too, and it’s pretty cool.

(Teresa) #2

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for sharing. It does change a person in ways we never imagine and we are getting healthy too. Keep it up, sounds you are working through some difficulties and doing a great job.

I can relate Ruth - I began keto last June and there have definitely been brain changes, due to the brain finally being fed the way it needs (after 25 years of vegetarianism followed by a few years of omnivore LFHC). I’ve experienced optimized sharp thinking along with other interesting stuff.

I totally agree that things come up as part of the healing/restoration process. Or, as they say, the issues in the tissues. I have PTSD that I considered mostly healed/minimal for decades, but recently, during some extreme work/financial stress (or maybe just due to the ongoing sexual justice gestalt outing of many male sexual predators and systemic patriarchal insanity) I had two different sojourns in unpleasant panic attack symptoms lasting for a day or two each - despite being exquisitely nutritionally balanced and well fed.

I sensed that whatever was happening was some kind of adjustment or healing crisis, knowing that the nervous system is incredibly vast (I read once that if we were to connect all the nerves in our body it would be long enough the circle the earth!). Apparently some deep part of my nervous system was talking and I needed to listen.

So, being a relatively privileged woman in the world, I was able seek herbal remedies, rested more, paid more attention to my belly breath - and also made sure to spend some social time with my favorite female friends just to chat (not so much about my symptoms, more general), to rage, and, sure enough, to cackle and laugh as well :slight_smile: End result being something like this:

Basically, with Good Fat all things are possible. :bacon:

It’s really interesting how the well nourished brain helps both physical and emotional healing - similar to the deep reflections that spontaneously arise when silently exploring the inner body when sitting still in meditation and breathing in the moment to moment awareness.

Here’s to Change, and thriving from the inside out! :sparkles::sunflower::herb::sparkling_heart:

Thank you for this thread, Ruth. I can totally relate to this too.

(Liz ) #5

Yes I had the same experiences, food no longer being the center of my life and random uncomfortable memories flooding in sometimes.

Love what you said @SlowBurnMary I figure maybe these experiences got coded in my body (“issues in the tissues”) & now that I’m burning the fat from those time periods the toxic moments are being released & flushed out? I have no idea but that’s what it feels like.

I’ve been taking extra milk thistle to support my liver in this process, especially if I find myself irritable.

(Linda Culbreth) #6

Good things happen to those who eat :bacon:
Ruth, you are not alone in these feelings and sometimes the past looms from nowhere and eventually fades again into somewhere. To me, things come up and hang around a while, bug me at night, then leave, sometimes to return. I have asked myself more than once, “where in the world did that come from?”. First time I’ve ever heard of “issues with the tissues” and memories being stored in the fat. I would like to see the science behind that thought.
Keep going - it is a better journey than what I was on.

(Barbara) #7

I have heard those disturbing thoughts referred to as ANTS (Automatic Negative Thoughts). The “cure” I just accidentally found was stirring a 1/2 - 1 tsp of Marmite or Vegemite into my mug of bone broth. I can wake up with those stupid ANTS or they can pop in for absolutely no good reason. That’s when I sip the bone broth and they fade away, usually within an hour or so and don’t come back for a day or longer. Then I am my cheerful, positive, productive self. Both products have a ton of B vitamins. I’ve tried B complex capsules before but I never saw much difference. You might want to give either of these a go. In fact, I heard Richard Morris mention Vegetmite and Marmite on a pod cast which prompted me to try it. The stuff is very salty, yeasty and it might take a while to get used to the taste. Just get a small jar of either and try it (I stir it into a mug of hot bone broth). You will know after a few days if it works for you. I think our brains are much like computers. If we think the same negative thoughts repeatedly, those thoughts become a part of our “default program” and surface whenever our mind is idle. By overriding those ANTS with “better” thoughts, we create a new path and change the default program. So far, Marmite is helping me change my default program faster and better than any antidepressant ever did. If Marmite or Vegemite don’t help you, keep searching for something that does. You are worth the quest. Wishing you happy, productive thoughts! Perhaps Richard or Carl (since they are both program designers) could comment :wink:

(Ruth) #8

Beautifully said, @SlowBurnMary, and everyone else…Thank you! It’s so nice to know we’re all in good company! Thanks so much!

(Linda Culbreth) #9

Thank you.

You’re welcome so much!

And, forgot to mention, I take in pleeeeeenty of ancient sea salt, and regular doses of grassfed beef liver capsules to help boost the B vitamins, along with bone broth (from powder) which I take w/ Vit. C for collagen absorption :wink:

(Cassandra Higdon) #11

This makes a few things in the past couple months since I started keto make a lot more sense. Lol
Thank you for posting this. Keto rocks :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #12

Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF): “…A protein that is increased during fasting. BDNF interacts with several neurons in parts of the brain that are associated with memory, learning and cognition. …” Source: The 5 Psychological Benefits of Fasting (i.e. Ketosis) http://tutoringbysarah.ca/the-5-psychological-benefits-of-fasting/

Note: Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is involved in neurogenesis (neural pathways being created, cascaded and layed out), neuronal repair (i.e. neural pathway {psychological} regression), and neuroplasticity (neurological shape shifting).

…also Keto & Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor BDNF

(Ruth) #13

That’s bananas! How interesting! Thanks @atomicspacebunny!

(Sarah) #14

Hey Ruth,

That’s so fascinating that you’ve had these memories come up. I’ve noticed my dreams have been a lot more vivid/realistic(?) since lowering my carbs… the body/mind/soul is such a beautiful (and complicated) symphony!

I want to share a life-changing book title with you on the topic of releasing memories: Letting Go by David Hawkins. I have read dozens of self-help/healing/spiritual books and this one had the biggest impact on my life by FAR. I’d love to know if anyone else on here has read it as well!?

All the best on your Keto journey :hugs:

(Ruth) #15

Thank you, Sarah! I will check that out. I’ve noticed the same thing about dreams too!

(Sandi Horsley) #16

I can’t help but think this is a reaction to the mental clarity that comes when in Keto. Probably some thoughts that need to be worked through surface, as your brain un-fogs, as I call it!

(Miss E) #17

I was saying to a client of mine yesterday that one of the interesting components of the diet for me is that I did a fair bit of emotional eating before (I didn’t realise how much until I started Keto. It has been a bit of a struggle in a way not being able to numb that urge. I have depression, ocd, adhd and mild anxiety as well as being hypersensitive to emotion and rejection so not using food to band-aid has been big and I imagine that will be a long term journey. I hope you’re doing well, glad to see this has been profound for you.

(Barbara) #18

So good to see others are also finding the Ketogenic plan to help rewire the emotional eating response in the brain. I can say I had several months of misery: irritability, frustration, sadness, confusion, anxiety and free floating emotional discomfort. In the beginning I ate my way through it with Ketogenic foods. I didn’t lose weight but I didn’t gain either. Very gradually, the Ketogenic mini binges diminished and the intense negative thoughts and feelings did too. I didn’t realize it until something would happen or I’d have a feeling that would typically trigger a carb binge and I noticed I didn’t think of eating carbs or keto as my response! It’s so great to be able to see formerly irresistible foods and find they look far away and don’t trigger an urge to eat😁. Now I wonder if I sometimes “ manufactured” reasons to emotionally eat!! Talk about a dearranged metabolism! Once the emotional eating stopped, the weight loss began. I’m glad for this forum and all of the keto leaders who keep the information and examples coming.