Boyfriend new to keto-having stomach pain

(jilliangordona) #1

Hi friends,

My boyfriend has joined the keto wagon about two weeks ago. He has always had stomach issues (likely IBS) and they seem to have gotten worse since going keto. My first guess at a culprit is dairy, and I am going to have him remove it from his diet for two weeks (he literally drinks heavy cream).

Any other thoughts on what it might be? Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks for your help!

We’ve had similar things occur in our house, dairy turned out to be the culprit. We eased up on the cream and tried to use more goat/sheep cheese and the problems have gone away.

(jilliangordona) #3

Thanks! Heavy cream and cream cheese have been staples for him… he’s going to be heartbroken if this is it lol

Has he had his gallbladder removed by any chance? If it’s a fat digestion issue, he made need to supplement some bile salts until they build up in his system.

(jilliangordona) #5

He has not, but his mother has a running theory that he has gall bladder problems…

Not to get TMI but if it’s constipation he might try those super cleanse pills from Nature’s Secret. Dairy seems to back some people up really badly, especially if you aren’t used to large quantities. And I’ve noticed heavy cream is the worst for me, or was early on.

(jilliangordona) #7

No worries on TMI! He has both issues (not going and disaster pants) and we can’t get a grip on what the culprit is. We have eliminated gluten, obviously. Dairy is next… and I have a feeling that is the issue

I had gall stones and it felt like someone stabbing me up under my ribcage. An ultrasound might be in order of you have reason to suspect it’s an issue.

(Cheryl Hall) #9

I’ve had some stomach distress occasionally myself. I don’t have any gallbladder issues that I’m aware of. However, I have had some very light color stools and after a bit of research found that could mean I’m not digesting lipids correctly? Could you recommend a good bile salt? I’m thinking I may need to try some.

Thanks!

I used this one when i first started keto, because I had my gallbladder removed years ago.

(Cheryl Hall) #11

Thank you Carol

(carl) #12

Might he simply be lactose intolerant? Do a test by removing one dairy item at a time. When you find the culprit, try lactaid. At least you’ll know what it is. After his gut heals he may be able to tolerate it better. Just a thought.

(jilliangordona) #13

Thanks Carl! This is my first guess, and I have had him eliminate. However he never had an issue before and I was hunting for a plan B.

(Candace) #14

I have IBS and had problems with dairy. He may just need some time for his stomach to adjust, remove dairy, if it gets better, leave it out for a month, try a little in 30 days. If no problems, bring it back; problems, leave it out for another 30 days. My issues have gotten a lot better. I hope he figures it out quickly, that stuff is no fun.