Book for 9 and 12 year olds for low carb?

(Bob M) #1

I’m thinking of getting a book for my 9 and 12 year old “girls” (the 12 yo is taller than my wife) that teaches low carb. I’m thinking the Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz. I may even get the hardback. I personally loved this book, but I had read 10 or 15 books in this area before I read hers. So, I knew a lot of what she was going to say.

Other than The Big Fat Surprise, can anyone recommend another book for kids?

We already have Fat Head Kids.

Lastly, on a different note, I’m thinking of getting the hardback. Used is cheaper, but the author gets no money. As I like Nina, I’d rather give her the money. Your thoughts on this? Buy paperback so she gets the money?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Another book to consider is Why We Get Fat, Taubes’s answer to people who complained that Good Calories, Bad Calories was too long-winded. But in my view, any kid capable of handling The Big Fat Surprise can surely also handle Good Calories, Bad Calories.

If you decide to buy a used copy of Nina’s book, why not donate the savings to the Nutrition Coalition? That is more likely to warm her heart than a few extra pennies in a royalty check, for sure.

(Bob M) #3

Good point about The Nutrition Coalition.

I also read Why We Get Fat (and Good Calories, Bad Calories). As an engineer, I like GC, BC better, but Why We Get Fat is easier to read.

We probably have both books at home. I know we have The Big Fat Surprise, but only on Kindle. I can’t remember in what format I read the Gary Taubes books.

We’re trying to avoid letting the kids have our kindles. They read too much. We’d go broke.

(Bob M) #4

Just to show you how our kids are with books. Our youngest is in 3rd grade. She was complaining that they were made to go pick out two books and read them. She went up to the teacher a short while later and said she was done. The teacher was incredulous. But, I believe our daughter.

I got a book about Gregor the Overlander (by Suzanne Collins of The Hunger Games fame), and she read the entire book in one school day. I listen to it in the car, and it’s about 8-10 hours (depending on book) of audio.

For the oldest, the kids were supposed to read books then take tests and get points for correct answers. Her required points were many times more than what other kids were assigned, solely because she reads that much.

The issue will be if the book holds their attention. If you don’t know about books for kids these days, there are tons of fantasy books, most with many books in the series. So, if my kids aren’t hooked in the first chapter or so, they might not finish it.

I read “The Big Fat Surprise” with my 8.99 Scribd membership as well as so many other great books and audiobooks.

At their age I had access to a public library and was able to browse and check out anything I wanted. Now that we are living in more confined quarters Scribd is absolute gold, as I know after a chapter or two if I want to continue with a book.

So that is my perhaps, unpopular opinion. Give a Scribd membership, and some of your favorite book recommendations and let your children explore.

(Bob M) #7

I tried to get my kids to read The Big Fat Surprise, which I think may be the most approachable book about nutrition in general, and they refused. I can see why, as there are many fantasy books they can read (and that I’ve either read to listened to via audiobooks). Were I their age, would I read a book about nutrition in the context of history, or kids with magical powers and dragons, or a dystopian world? Hmm…

I am sorry Bob! The post was bumped and I thought it was relevant to this Christmas! :blush: (embarrassed)

You make a good point. I read every “diet” paperback that came through the house. I read anything. I watched anything on TV we could get on any of the three channels we received.

Kids have so much more that is marketed just to them now!

/genx

(Laurie) #9

My father encouraged reading, and he also provided impromptu lectures, anecdotes, random facts, etc., on a wide range of topics. He was a very difficult guy, but he gave us much precious knowledge and an interest in many subjects.

If your daughters don’t want to read certain books, you can regale them with selected bits. Happy memories!

(Bob M) #10

I was a voracious reader when younger, used to get headaches due to reading with poor light. Both my kids read a ton, though my oldest reads a lot less now that she has a phone. Darn phones! Though you can ask her if she’s read some series of books, and she’s read them all.

The youngest one is too fast of a reader. Her teacher in third grade gave the kids an assignment and a time to read part of a book. The idea was to read part of the book (a mystery) and guess who the culprit might be, and write that down along with reasons. My daughter read the whole thing and then complained to the teacher: why should I do the assignment, when I know who the culprit is? :wink: Sometimes, she’s too smart for her own good.

But if you’re not familiar with books for children/tweens/teens, there are so many books, and usually series, they can read. I’ve read or listened to a lot of them, and it’s hard not to like them. They have good character development, concern issues in that age group, have good stories (more imaginative than I am), and are exciting.

At some point, I hope they come around to reading non-fiction.

And we try to keep them low carb and eating more meat, but there are so many high carb events. Any time kids meet, there’s carbs. But they have both been playing Minecraft, and they were both complaining that you don’t get much strength or fulfillment from eating meat in Minecraft, but apparently get more from things like fruit. They were aghast at that. That’s good, I guess.