Bone broth questions

fasting

How did it come out? I do a 30min roast then 3hrs in the InstantPot and mine always comes out awesome. Was it flavorless or something?

(Daisy) #22

No, it was a great regular broth. Tasted great, looked just like the chicken/beef broth you buy at the store. It just wasn’t gelatinous like bone broth is supposed to be. So I’m assuming it didn’t have the collagen benefits that are desired from bone broth.

(Consensus is Politics) #23

Just 12 hours? Heh heh… that might be our problem. I don’t think I’ve let one cook less than 72 hours. The latest batch about 120 hours, yes five days :cowboy_hat_face:. So I guess I killed it? I gave one of the bones to my dog. I was thinking he would have a hell of a time with it, and it should last for months before he managed to even crack it. Based on experience with a beef shin bone previously. Thing is darn near indestructible!)

To my surprise, Hades, my Staffordshire Terrier, dropped it on the floor, and it shattered like a piece of chalk. I picked it up and snapped it with two fingers. So over cooked I guess? :thinking:

(Daisy) #24

Lol no 2 rounds of 12 hours (that’s the longest setting on my device), so 24 hours. The first one (of the 2 that gelled) I probably took it around 20 hours. Before I was trying to do it in 4 hours in the quick cook settings. Like I said, it made a great broth and fat would settle on top, but just didn’t have the collagen benefit.

I don’t know what cooking it too long would do. When I was quick cooking it, I would do up to 3 rounds of broth with the bones. By the third round, the bones could snap in my hands!