Body odor

Careful… you’ll scare away the wildlife with your predator aroma. :wink:

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #22

I have nothing to offer except my deepest sympathies for your husband. I will have a good thought for him. Please let me know if he starts a go fund me page for nose plugs or an essential oils diffuser.

(CharleyD) #23

So my Promethease tells me that it predicts I’ll have normal (whatever that means) body odour[sic] based off my C;C in rs 17922931 in gene ABCC11. Wonder what yours is? I’ve always thought my BO after a day of not showering smelled like stale Fritos. I’m half Greasy Guinea Italian and half mutt, and definitely shower in the mornings before going out.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/rs17822931

(Chris W) #24

I hit a stretch where I had no detectable body odor, even after strenuous workouts where I sweated a lot. I stopped using deodorant and went for 2 weeks without mentioning to either my wife, or my trainer at the gym. After about 2 weeks I told them and neither one of them had noticed any sign of odor. Then one day, I took a multivitamin for some reason (I don’t remember why, moment of self doubt perhaps.) The next day I had very noticeable odor, so if you are still taking supplements, try cutting them out for a few days and see if it has an effect.
In the middle of last year, I moved. After moving I noticed that I would start to smell myself again if I didn’t use deodorant. I eventually connected the dots that in my previous situation I had a nice jetted tub and I frequently took long baths with magnesium salt and baking soda. In my new living situation I didn’t have access to a decent tub, so the baths were much less frequent not as long. On a whim I decided to try using Magnesium oil instead of deodorant and it seemed to work! That’s what I’ve been doing ever since. It’s not as effective as taking the nice long soak with epsom salt or MgCl and baking soda, but I can get roughly 24 hour odor free with a few spays of magnesium oil and rubbing it in.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #25

Never heard of it, although it could be related to a kind of second keto-adaptation. Did it ever dissipate, @Daisy?

(Daisy) #26

Yes, like the next week, but I also haven’t been strict carnivore at all since then lol. I want to get back to it, but it’s been vacation, then blackberry season, and picnic season lol. So I’ve probably eaten a fruit or veggie every day for weeks

(Shayne) #27

I actually smell better since switching to carnivore. I used to have to rotate out my deodorant about every quarter year or so. Now I’ve been using the same brand for … I don’t even know how long and it hasn’t given up on me. Sometimes I can go for days without a shower and not get funky.

Just a thought, what we significantly affects our gut biome. The bacteria we live with daily on our skin that create B.O. would conceivably be altered by our diets as well.

Male here, i am certainly more pungent when on Keto.

As a result of Keto, my testosterone is through the roof and i now take a bath in salt water each night

I’ve been Keto for 3 months and Carnivore for a week and a half now. One of the first things I noticed was that my skin started to smell sweet. I literally have not used deodorant for a week. I’m also not “cheating” on any “keto” foods, it’s just meat, coffee, water and eggs. I actually really like how my body smells right now lol.

(Anna ) #31

I was just searching for this info. Great timing for this thread to surface. Went keto about 2 months ago. I’ve noticed the B.O. in myself recently as well, although stronger, it’s not that bad. Although I was the kind of person that could go camping and not shower for several days and not even need to reapply my deodorant.

A few days ago I ran out of veggies and didn’t make any keto bread, so for several days all I ate was bacon, eggs and breakfast sausage and boy did I start to stink. The smell was like new tires, that new rubber smell. So bizarre.

If you are rocking the ketosis, you are excreting acetone and acetoacetone from your body in noticeable amounts through your breath, urine, and skin.

Yes, that’s the same chemical that can be found in nail polish removers.

Same time we are in Detox. Detox itself is a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances. This can produce a smell also.

Pollutants/toxins are stored in body fat.

Once you start burning fat, those toxins will be released into your bloodstream and will be excreted for example through sweat.

In simple terms, your body is getting rid of toxins stored in fat and it’s excreted through sweating and that’s what makes everything stink.

key to it all, get in ketosis and stay there. All of this goes away eventually :slight_smile: but the changeover can be noticed on some. Our bodies are so individual on how much toxins we dump, how many ketones are burning in the body and being excreted etc. so we can all ‘smell a bit’ different as we are so individual.

get into ketosis and stay put, all quiets down after a while :slight_smile:
so we might stink a bit while getting healthy…eh, it ain’t that bad truly HAHA

Hubby and I have noticed that we don’t need deodorant anymore. Nice :smile:

I’ve noticed some changes, too. I went a long run in the woods last Friday, hour and a half. At the end I was good and sweaty but didn’t stink.

are you sure about that? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
anyone with ya to confirm that? HA HA HA

(Full Metal KETO AF) #36

I used Arm & Hammer deodorant probably since it hit the market maybe 25 years ago? I only had to apply it once or twice a week and never got body odor as I got older. In the last two months I had gotten a deep itch in my armpits. Drove me crazy! Not on the skin but probably glands that were irritated. I stopped using it and the itch rapidly dissipated. I still don’t get body odor for days without a shower. Using nothing now and I guess I don’t need anything anymore. I have been working towards a Carnivore diet for about two months slowly dropping vegetables for a smooth transition. I started full Carnivore on January 1st. No changes in body smell. My hair gets greasy so that prompts shower time, not any smell. Sometimes I shower just because of shoulder pain. :cowboy_hat_face:

Just for giggles I didn’t use any deodorant last night. Because of sensitivities to the chemical :poop: I use salt crystal deodorant instead of the usual stuff.
Anyway, that was many hours ago and still no stinky pits. I plan to continue to use deodorant on work days but I might just quit using on weekends to see if I need it at all anymore.

(Daisy) #38

I have gone carnivore twice more since making this thread and haven’t had the odor again. I do notice that my sense of smell is much more in tune on carnivore. Especially to body smells. I watched a baby on Wednesday night at church and could tell the moment he had peed each time.