Body By Science, Fasting and BFR Training Results (with pics!)

(Windmill Tilter) #321

I can see mine in my wrist but but just faintly. Yours is really strong and visible. Was this video taken right after BFR, or is that your resting heart rate? Can you see the one on your ankles? I can just barely see mine. Maybe I’ll take a video of both so I can see if they improve over the next few months of BFR training.

(Windmill Tilter) #322

It is a weird feeling. Your rep counts for curls is almost exactly the same as mine for knee pushups. I’d lower the weight a bit to increase reps just a little, but the best I can do is dropping 2lbs of fat from my 235lb frame each week. :yum:

I’ll be curious to see if the soreness is different (hopefully not). When my arms feel like rubber for a few hours after BBS or BFR, I always figure I’ve done something right. The TUT always seems to go up the next week.

I’d encourage you to take the last set to failure for chest press and overhead press. Just do as many reps as you can, there is no need to stop at 15. There is a lot of value to hitting failure on the last set because you’re going to maximize metabolic stress when you do this. You’ve felt the difference on biceps. No need for a static hold or anything fancy, just keep going until you can’t finish a rep in good form. Avoiding failure for the first few sessions is just to minimize DOMS; you have enough workouts under your belt that you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

This will allow you to track progress workout to workout. This week the final set might be 16, next week might be 18. It will also allow you to spot overtraining. If you get 16 reps this workout, 14 the subsequent workout, and 12 the following workout, it’s time to add some more rest between sessions or increase your sleep quality.

One downside to using light weights is that they come in much fewer increments. I’m guessing it’s hard to find a 1.5kg dumbell for example. One workaround that some people use is adding wrist or ankle weights which can often be found in .5kg or 1lb. This way, you can change your 1kg dumbell into 1.5kg, your 2kg dumbell to 2.5kg, and so on. It’s a cheap way to add some versatility. I use adjustable dumbells, but thats a much more expensive way to go unless you happen upon a used set on craigslist (or equivalent).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #323

Sounds like significant progress. Tingling is I think to be avoided.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #324

I took the video about 10 hours after BBS training. Sometimes I see the pulse clearly and sometimes not.

My pulse is about 50 to 55 bpm. I take a beta blocker and before keto and BBS my pulse was 65-68 bpm rested. I hope to reduce the beta blocker from 50mg/d to 25mg/d. I used to have a very keyed up parasympathetic nervous system and my heart rate could get to 100+ very easily. But keto and fitness has calmed it down.

My BP has steadily dropped recently even with reducing one med in half. The last 11 measured, 36% of them were lower than 106/55. So I’m working with my cardio dr to completely drop amlodipine. I think reversing IR, losing visceral fat and gaining lean mass strength has all had something to do with it.

A strange thing with beta blockers is I used to huff and puff if I climbed 2 flights of stairs until my heart rate kick starts. This is now not something that helps. No need to kick-start the heart.

@Don_Q
I’m a bit of a control-freak, I don’t do well with surprises, so I’m still getting used to the changing feeling of pressure in my arms.
I finally understood that failure feeling in my biceps, my arms were burning and every single brain cell was yelling “put that down!” I couldn’t even hold my pencil to write down my set. Now I just have to apply the same principle to every exercise.
I’m trying to figure out what would be the best exercise combo would be, so that I have 3 or maybe 4 exercises that hit all muscle groups…that way, I can get the technique down and execute the sets seamlessly.

@daddyoh yup, I guess I tightened the right band more than I should have.

(Windmill Tilter) #326

I did my first BBS workout in 2 weeks last night and it went pretty well. I had no pain in my achilles whatsover, and it felt great this morning so I think I’m out of the woods. My shoulder is still sore for some reason, and I could feel it during bench press, so I didn’t push that hard.

I think I hurt it using the pec dec machine, which I had never used before, so I dropped that exercise completely. I added in dips instead to hit the chest in a different range of motion than I I’m getting on the bench press. I can’t do bodyweight dips yet, but the gym I go to has a dip station with a counterweight stack that lets you cheat. I felt zero discomfort, so I think it’s going to be a better range of motion while my shoulder is getting back to 100%.

I was kind of hoping a full 2 weeks between BBS sessions would lead to interesting gains, but it was not to be. Most of my lifts remained flat or went down slightly which was disappointing. Ironically, the lift that really improved the most was my leg press, which I went up on by 20lbs and still came out at over 90sec before failure. I’ll have to move that one up 25lbs next week.

At any rate, I was happy to be back in the gym. I’m annoyed that my shoulder still isn’t 100%, but steering clear of the pec fly machine seemed to be enough to keep it happy.

Back to BFR after a 2 day refeed, and 2 days of fasting. Rinse and repeat until May. :smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #327

The video you linked is great. I’m going to use the overhead cable. I practiced today at lighter weights and want to avoid the dumbbell because of the hernia risk. Also, the ability to do concentric assist and concentric overload on failure (use the other hand to pull the positive direction and let the one arm do the negative motion) are very attractive.

I’m going to do BBS one day early because in a week my wife will get surgery on a foot and I won’t be able to do my normal day. I’m seeing nice muscle definition on my arms, especially biceps. Also, a clear reduction in fat because I have more loose skin and I can feel a gap beside the muscle on the posterior side (inside). But even forearm and wrist muscles are getting better definition.

I hope to do BFR for arms tomorrow to keep the timing the same.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #328

Glad you are back at it. Pain free in the achilles is great. My ankle is good now form the vertical row. With the addition of the cable overhead I mentioned elsewhere I should be able to avoid stressing my tibial tendon.

That is the key to body physique. I used to work out pretty hard back in the day, but until a guy in the gym came over and pushed my workout partner into 16 more reps on the finishing set we were at a standstill. Your mind is telling you to stop but the body is capable of doing more. The minds first response is to always take the path of least resistance. I went from 17 inch arms to 19 after that in a fairly short time. We really thought we were working out hard, but it was to a different level after that.

I fell asleep at 8 pm last night, so I was up at 4, ready to move my butt by 5:30 am :wink:
Leg day today, started with a 30-min FB leg workout as a warm-up and then moved on to bondage (my husband’s words, he had to explain to his mother what the bands were for :joy: (it’s her own fault, why is she asking questions she’s not sure she wants to hear answers to :wink: ).
It’s official, I have to buy new bands for my legs, I can’t feel any pressure in my legs and the sliding metal loop will soon cause some damage to my skin. I’m hoping that I get some benefits, even if it’s just a little. Now what I know how I should do my exercises, I realized that squats aren’t the best way to go - I don’t have heavier weights and I need way too many reps to get to failure without them. I remembered hip thrusts and how much they hurt one time, so I decided to try with hip raises. Love a duck, my thighs were burning and it is definitely an exercise worth pursuing because I can just add weights to my hips.

My BFR workout:
hip thrusts (with the help of my couch): 20/12/12/10
calf raises with 3kg dumbbell in each hand: 30/15/15/30
sumo squats slow+pulses: 10+20/10+20/10+20/10+20

Finished it off with 10 regular squats and moved on to my cooldown.

I have to push myself a little more each time, that is my goal, now that I’m understanding HIT a bit better.
FB videos are good, but HIIT can only get you to some point - HIT is the way to go! :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #331

What is the difference between HIIT and HIT? Glad you are making progress.

My understanding: HIIT is high-intensity interval training, HIT is just high-intensity training :slight_smile:

Although, FB videos aren’t really HIIT, they are something in between - mostly interval training, the HI is dependent on your weights. :wink:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #333

BBS fans this may be interesting to you

I’m half way done and finding this valuable. Jerry Teixeria (JT) is all about failure training but by using body weight. He covers how he came to keto and failure training. Just another frame-of-reference.

(Windmill Tilter) #334

I laughed out loud at this. Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that particular conversation… :grinning::rofl::sweat_smile:

(Windmill Tilter) #335

I was always partial to the acronym HIRT (High Intensity Resistance Training). People assume I mean HIIT when I say HIT, and HIRT sounds like “hurt” which is appropriate. :yum:

I think you’re really going to enjoy Body by Science. There is something deeply satsifying about lifting something absurdly heavy for 60 seconds and then being done for the week.

It does hurt…I will call it HIRT from now on…more material for my MiL :joy:

My husband and I live in my in-laws’ house and share the same entrance - we are on the ground floor (1st floor in the US) and my in-laws are on the 1st floor (2nd floor in the US), temporary situation until we begin further construction. My in-laws are wonderful and kind people, without a shred of negativity or ill-wish in them - of course, we come to the problem of two generations. :wink: We have had a few situations of “inappropriate” behavior (they walk around “our” area like it is theirs) but since I come from a very different family, it is probably more my problem. She already thinks I’m crazy for eating keto, although she admires my strong character - the bands must have been another shock. :joy: I really wish I would have heard the conversation, as well. :joy: But my motto still stands - don’t ask questions you don’t want to know the answer to. :joy:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #337

6th BFR arm day. 1 a week.

Let me start with “no I am not a beast”. I’m guessing my restriction is at 40% to 50%.

15 lbs

• biceps
  • triceps
  • wrist curls

30/15/15/20

I had to keep tightening my right arm. Grrrr…

It did get progressively harder and my brain was screaming stop.

I could feel some benefit. And my arms are slightly weak now several hours post BFR. Oddly I got a big boast of energy and mental clarity post BFR for maybe a hour. @Don_Q or @Meerkatsandy have you had a energy boast?

On to HIRT BBS Thursday this week. So 6 days BBS recovery.

15lb, impressive! :slight_smile:

Bands are very tricky to get right - I tightened my right arm a bit too much last time, my legs are still a working progress… :frowning:

I haven’t noticed an energy boost, I did notice that I am a bit hungrier, I had a feasting weekend! Then again, it could also be hormonal (that time of the month)… No wonder women aren’t used as test bunnies, who can make a decent scientific conclusion with all these factors influencing results! :joy:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #339

I am as well. After BFR I feast just one day but I just am doing arms. I will probably do OMAD tomorrow, BBS Friday and feast, IF 18/6 Saturday and Sunday. I have to get more IF and OMAD in. Not sure I will be able to fit in BFR next week.

(Windmill Tilter) #340

I don’t really regard it as boasting, but yes I have occasionally mentioned how much energy I have after a workout… :yum:

I know what you meant but couldn’t resist. Damn spellcheckers! :smile: :rofl:

Now that you mention it, I have experienced a weird boost shortly after BFR training. I’ll have to pay more attention after my next session to see what happens.