Blood/urine results after 5 years keto

(Sonia) #1

Hi,

I have been on keto for 5, almost 6 years.

Usually my cholesterol is a little high but nothing to worry about.

I received my blood and urine results and this worries me a bit.

Blood results came.

Creatinine is 1.06 (suppose to be 0.57-1.00)

BUN is 21 should be 6-20

A/G ratio 2.3 (1.2-2.2)

Specific gravity urine 1.030 abnormal (1.005-1.030)

Everything basically says too much protein, might have a kidney issue. So is this really an issue?

Recently (Sept 2023) I’ve been adding protein powder, shakes, and bars to my diet. I started working out 5 days for 2 hours a day so I felt I need something more. Could that be the issue? I really don’t want to stop them because I feel like it helps me but deep down I know it’s all garbage.

Or could it just be my keto diet overall?

Or could it be I’m not drinking enough water? I drink 64 ounces a day but maybe I need more? Ugh I hate questioning keto cus I know this is the lifestyle for me!!

Any suggestions?

(Bob M) #2

My BUN/creatinine ratio is high, though not BUN or creatinine. My albumin was right at the top (4.9). I tend to get higher in these, as I also eat higher protein.

What was your GFR or eGFR?

(Sonia) #3

eGFR was 69

(Pete A) #4

I have similar results from this panel. And high blood pressure. It’s early stage kidney disease I’m told.

My nephroligist doesn’t think it’s a concern but does monitor it.

My other electrolytes are mostly notmal.

(Bob M) #5

When I went to the last Keto Fest, someone there was discussing how keto helped with the least-aggressive stages of kidney disease. That’s the limit of my knowledge, though.

(Geoffrey) #6

To start with, your higher cholesterol is not an issue.
As far as kidney issues I don’t have an answer but I do have a friend who has stage 4 kidney disease and he is treating it with carnivore and is doing well with it.

(B Creighton) #7

If you are adding creatine to your protein smoothies, it will drive up the creatinine levels. It did mine, and I don’t worry about it, because I know it will come back down when I stop supp’ing it. I did manage to gain a little muscle over this winter using protein smoothies, but it is not something I do year around. If you stop trying to actively add muscle, you could probably stop the extra protein, and not lose muscle. You are working out pretty heavy sounds like though, so I would use the protein smoothies if you want to gain muscle. It does make your organs work a little harder. I would just let the Dr know these things, and see if they have any alarm bells. Personally, I only workout about 1 - 1.5 hrs 3x/wk, and use the inbetween days to let muscle grow, hopefully. On my workout days I fast until my evening workout, which is known to spur stem cell development. The satellite cells which form new muscle are a type of stem cell. If you are just trying to get toned, and are still worried about it, you could chop the exercise in half, and back off the protein supplementation…