Blood pressure spike

(9495ab7d13c7254f16de) #1

Hey there everyone, I’ve been eating this way for 6 wks now and I’ve been doing alright. Not really dropping much weight but feeling pretty good. Had some issues with electrolytes in the beginning but I’ve been doing better with them. I’m diabetic and overweight. Had really bad eating habits before keto. In the 6 wks I’ve been keto I haven’t really stayed in ketosis longer than a few hours it seems. I have a blood monitor and I check it periodically. Recently, like for the last 4 days I’ve consistently been in nutritional ketosis. This is the longest I’ve stayed in ketosis and I’ve dropped 5 lbs in the last few days. Well today my heart started racing a bit and I wasn’t feeling well all of a sudden so I went and took my bg and my bp. My bg was 93 which I pretty good for me and my bp was 146/96. I’ve had high bp for over a year now but since starting keto I’ve had perfect bp. 115/70 give it take a bit. I’m guessing I didn’t get enough salt today since I’ve only eaten one meal so far but has anyone else dealt with sudden bp spikes before? And what helped? Was it a water/electrolyte/sodium issue or could being in ketosis maybe be messing with my body? I thought I was supposed to feel great in ketosis but really I’ve just felt kinda off for the last 4 days. I’m gonna eat some salt and take my second round of supplements for the day and see if it makes me feel any better but I’d love to hear anyone’s story that sounds similar! Thanks :blush:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Being in ketosis consistently does not mess with your body. Ketosis is a natural and healthy state; the more you’re in it the better off you are. Going in and out of ketosis frequently, especially at the beginning, can mess with your body because it prolongs the symptoms of carb withdrawal and retards fat adaptation. My guess would be that your BP excursion was probably too much salt not too little. You say you only had one meal. What was in it? What beverages did you drink today? How much salt? That’s good info to know. All my life I’ve had low BP and I have to be aware of salt to keep my BP in the normal range! My warning sign is dizziness standing up.

(9495ab7d13c7254f16de) #3

I had 3 eggs, 3 strips bacon, half avocado, some Tabasco and a few grape tomatoes. I’ve had about 80oz of water today all with ultima electrolytes added. I salted my eggs with Redmond’s real salt but that’s all I’ve had today. I also know it’s a good thing to be in ketosis but I was wondering if maybe it would make me feel off/different which would in turn make my anxiety go up. I’m guessing it’s my salt intake being low but I ate some pink salt just straight and put some in my water and I’m feeling better. It’s just frustrating trying to figure out the right amount of each electrolyte/mineral I need since I’ve seemed to have trouble having enough or the right ones since I started keto

(9495ab7d13c7254f16de) #4

I’m having salad/spinach/chicken for dinner so that’ll add some to my sodium intake also

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Maybe just keep a close eye on your salt intake for awhile. You may be more than normally sensitive to ups and downs of intake.

(Bunny) #6

Make sure you get plenty of vitamin C from veggies like peppers in its natural unsweetened form along with all that salt because it will strip your endothelium (including refined sugar & high endogenous glucose) of your blood vessel walls of glycocalyx which is thick slimy coating that protects the vascular walls? Sodium and potassium intake balanced correctly = normal blood pressure?

References:

[1] Salt overload damages the glycocalyx sodium barrier of vascular endothelium

[2] “…Salt, also known as sodium chloride, is about 40% sodium and 60% chloride. …” …More

[3] Low-dose corticosteroid and Vitamin C effects on endothelial cell glycocalyx expression in sepsis model human umbilical vein endothelial cells culture: “…The result shows that corticosteroid and Vitamin C have been proven to have a protective effect on glycocalyx layer under sepsis condition by suppressing inflammatory response to infection and antioxidant effect. …”

[4] Vasculoprotective properties of the endothelial glycocalyx: Effects of fluid shear stress

[5] Loss of Endothelial Glycocalyx During Acute Hyperglycemia Coincides With Endothelial Dysfunction and Coagulation Activation In Vivo

[6] Fluid shear stress directly stimulates synthesis of the endothelial glycocalyx: peturbations by hyperglycemia

image image link

image image link

(9495ab7d13c7254f16de) #7

Very interesting! Thank you for the info. Do you think I’m getting too much sodium? I was under the impression that we needed more than what doctors tell you to have. Plus with being new to ketosis, I thought my kidneys would be flushing out stored sodium plus other minerals and that’s why we have to replenish more than normal? So much information to take in and it’s conflicting sometimes :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

(Bunny) #8

Just be sure to check with your Doctor about your sodium and potassium balance because that controls your blood pressure and could be related to the “racing heart beat“ you describe?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

In addition to getting enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium, you need to be properly hydrated. Be sure to drink to satisfy your thirst. You don’t want to over-hydrate any more than you want to under-hydrate. The key to regulating the other electrolytes is to keep salt in balance. If you find yourself craving salt, eat more; if things start tasting too salty, eat less. Try not to over-think things; that’s a trap. After all, our ancestors survived two million years of evolution without knowing what blood pressure or an electrolyte was!